Coarse Angling Today - Let eels become extinct

Mark7

It would seem that your views are in a minority when taking into account the responses on other forums. I might be inclined to get involved in your eel discussions if your approach were less aggressive. Consequently, I am dismayed by your offer to teach me diplomacy. Even on this forum, fellow posters have agreed that Dan's comments were rather suprising, especially his view that as few people fish for eels it doesnt matter if they go extinct. It would appear that your problem is with me personally, as opposed to the content of my post.

I will say again the problem is not with your initial post but more the way you come across (be it intentional or not).

I will gladly try to be less "aggressive" if you try to stop being so "holier than thou" and then maybe when I question you you will be able to change my veiws with some good interesting and factual debate...rather than (it may just be my impression) the "Im in the NAC so Im the only one who goes eel fishing or cares about them so what I say is right" manner you allways seem to! Thats my problem!

In fact my problem is more that the way you come across alienates and distracts from such an important issue.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, of course you feel like that-you agree with each other! And I loathe compliance. Whenever we have debates like this online we gain more members, so it must be good.

Seems despite our many differences of opinion over the years Emma that now because we apear to agree on something we are in that recently discussed on here "clique" thing.

Come on Mark grow up and learn to debate something.I keep giving you the chance to win me (and Im sure a lot of others) over but you seem not to want to take it! Why? Forget about me then if Im not worth convincing but how about all the others who read this (and it will be a darn site more than actively take part)

Oh BTW Ive highlighted that bit because I do to and it seems to me rather than putting forward anything new or radical your just tripping out all the stuff Ive heard for a long time.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Well, of course you feel like that-you agree with each other!

As Budgie has pointed out to you, he and I don't always agree, you have advanced from an assumption of your own making, but I will repeat and maintain that Budgie is the most fair minded conributor in here, and that includes the moderators.

If this were a boxing match, you would be described as charging out of your corner, mouth open and chin jutting out. Even if you were pedalling undeniable truths you would still be creating hostility. Prior to this thread I was only vaugely aware of your club, as earlier indicated I do have a concern for eels, I stopped fishing for them after being an enthusiast during the 70s. I wouldn't join your organisation now.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Mark, your quote below could be seen as purely self motivated and the only reason you are bothered by the eels plight is because you fish for them. I don't think that is true, but it shows how a line can be interpreted wrongly.

. In any event, NAC members giving up eel fishing would result in no NAC, and consequently no one to fight the eels' corner, unless, of course, you plan to take up the cause?

While I don't like Dan's part about "why spend money in this day and age on something that may only help a few anglers" and the part about anglers having to focus on other species, he did raise an interesting view point. Had you just presented this for discussion then you would have found me more agreeable and could have kicked off a great debate. However the call for a retraction just annoyed me. We don't always agree on here but we don't call for retractions, just facts and information to back up ones claims.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

All,

Not an eel expert. Nor, do I know the fishwrap. Let me ask, does the fact Dan Williams, Assistant Editor of Pike and Predator Magazine said something imply there is a rod and reel pleasure angler cause and effect? He doesn't say yea or nay?

The earliest example I can find on the internet of "the sky is falling" from eel killing parasites is 1947. The problem is at least that old.

I don't want to read anything into this thread. What is it the author of this thread (Mark7) wants? Is it related to eel?

Phone

"The EA are also working with the Sustainable Eel Group, whose mission appears to be to increase the marketing of elvers and eels as a food source. The NAC and the Angling Trust withdrew from the group in protest some time ago, but EA support continues......"

And there lays another very strange story!

As you say Mark it is quite worrying but then again to be honest its not supprising that the EA has chosen a very strange bed fellow with the SEG. But Ive allways felt that the EA's prime interest has allways been water and not necessarily whats in it!

A brave man to link your club with the AT though!

So when you comming down for a bit of eel fishing and to show me and Dales how not to deep hook them? In fact as well as that (despite my rudeness you might actually enjoy it aswell!) how about putting together something that Elton can publish on here teaching us all how to fish for eels with minimum impact?

In the early days of "Put Pike Back" (and indeed "Eels are for sport not for bait") campaigns I would have leaped at such a chance.

I may be brave enough to work with the Angling Trust on occassion, but I don't think I will take you up on your offer of a fishing trip, but thanks for asking. I feel that your request for an article that will "teach you all how to fish for eels with minimum impact" is mischievious rather than sincere. I have no desire to "teach" anything, and if I do submit an article to this forum it will be in my own time, and not at your request. I look forward to posting again at a later date, and enjoying your egotistic bluster once again.

I wouldn't join your organisation now.

That's the sad thing, I feel the same after encountering a few members postings. More my loss then there's but does speak volumes for there PR skills.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Guest redfin2
Thick anglers are not uncommon, they just become problems when they learn rudimentary writing skills.

Bit elitist ain't ya?

if I do submit an article to this forum it will be in my own time, and not at your request. I look forward to posting again at a later date, and enjoying your egotistic bluster once again.

Do you see how the end of the above sounds in relation to the first part?

It looks as if you walked into here and expected universal support.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"