Coarse Angling Today - Let eels become extinct

Mark7

Some say he once fought an otter for a barbel with his bare hands, and is terrified of spinners...

stigbunny.jpg

:bigemo_harabe_net-163:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

An old pal of mine used to fish for eels on a regular basis, called it rock salmon, and even took it home for the wife to cook! When he came up north to live he stopped and went sea fishing off the fylde coast, but he always waxed lyrical about his eel fishing days when anyone was near enough his sea fishing gear to listen. I can't see the attraction somehow, but I tell you this-he didn't catch no'but a tiddler up here!!!!! Poor lad! I wonder if it was a tale of the one that got away-like the stickleback grew to 6 foot by the time you got home???

What do you think chaps n chapesses? Tall fish tale, or would he have really caught so many eels down south as opposed to up here?

I have no idea, ignorant mebe, because I never fish for eels!

Welcome to AN Sizzla hope you stay and contribute. I think your points are good and I'm sure your comments about Mark are correct. He just didn't do himself or the NAC any favours with the way he (twice) came on here.

I for one welcome input from any other eel anglers as despite not being a member of the NAC consider my self one.Also you will find that unlike a lot of other sites most AN members are interested in a wide range of angling and species. Even if not interested in a particular area them selves they will support any sensible conservation area or other anglers plight.

Be great to hear some current eel stuff as I'm very old fashioned and behind the times and often worry that any "advice" I give on the subject is a bit dated and so not necessarily the best.

Despite the fact I appear to have developed a problem with Mark please dont think I or AN is in any way anti eel,eel angler,eel conservation or anti NAC! simply not true. Ive even tried numerous times to mend the bridge but Mark appears to be very suspicious of my motives so I will just have to let it be.

Hi Budgie

Thanks for the welcome mate

I don’t get a lot of time im afraid to post on a regular

Basis but will pop in from time to time and contribute when

Time permits.

With regards to current eel stuff, I am a little like you and old

Fashioned, my tactics are very basic ( no fancy rigs ) but it has

Worked very well for me so far so I don’t see the need for change.

You probably already know this but in your neck of the woods you

Are in prime eel territory with fisheries around you having the potential

Of throwing up some very large specimens.

I am just over the bridge in Essex so not too far away from you.

Hi,

An old pal of mine used to fish for eels on a regular basis, called it rock salmon, and even took it home for the wife to cook! When he came up north to live he stopped and went sea fishing off the fylde coast, but he always waxed lyrical about his eel fishing days when anyone was near enough his sea fishing gear to listen. I can't see the attraction somehow, but I tell you this-he didn't catch no'but a tiddler up here!!!!! Poor lad! I wonder if it was a tale of the one that got away-like the stickleback grew to 6 foot by the time you got home???

What do you think chaps n chapesses? Tall fish tale, or would he have really caught so many eels down south as opposed to up here?

There's waters in Cumbria practically paved with them!

Guest redfin2
Hi,

No shortage down here, takes a lot of effort avoiding them.

Does anyone know if they counted the eel numbers before they removed the 5 tonnes of elvers from the Severn, or after?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Does anyone know if they counted the eel numbers before they removed the 5 tonnes of elvers from the Severn, or after?

John.

Now how would removing 5 tonnes of elvers affect eel numbers?

No, it's down to non NAC members fishing for them ;)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/