Where did you start

Guest Mike_pk_Waters

Guest poledark

Well then Tony, thats just to bad so there! You cant join the Keston Old Boys Club which I have just started. Mind you, you have to be really old to qualify.

p oldark biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Guest goin_fishin

My 1st time fishing was in Majorca with my uncle 3 years ago i hated it. but my usally fish and caught my 1st fish on the Leeds and Liverpool canal it was a tiny perch Well i still fish the L & L now actually i fished it today..

Guest davidP

My first fishing was done on the Llangollen Canal near Whitchurch in Shropshire (the little basin by the lift-up bridge nearest to where the A525 Wrexham Road goes over the canal). I soon transferred my attentions to the same canal but below the locks at Grindley Brook and this is where I did most of my early fishing. If I was feeling flush I used to treat myself to a day ticket on Brown Moss (also near Whitchurch). I also fishing at Fenns Bank, The Badger Pit & an amazing little farm pond at Agden (12 2lb+ rudd in one day - if only I'd realised at the time how special that was!).

When I think back now about the amount of gear I used to carry straped to the back of my bicycle and the type of roads I was cycling on to get to these places it's a wonder I survived!!

Guest doc_tench

Dear poldark,

Did you go fishing anywhere else in the area as a kid maybe Earlswood lakes??

Respects member 2 KOBC(keston ol boys club) biggrin.gif: wink.gif

Guest chris

Hi Mike.My first ever trip was with my dad to the Thames at Hampton Court,some 40 years or so ago,and my first fish was a perch.

However spent most of my early years on the River Ember near Esher in surrey,alas this river or most of it,is now a flood channel with only a small original section left.

Chris frown.gif

Guest poledark

Funny you should ask that Doc, yes we did a bit when we were about 12 or 13. We (this is me and my mates) bought a war surplus rubber dinghy and strapped it to our bikes and set off for Earlswood. We all lived in Croydon, a fair few miles from the lake. As we passed thro Sth croydon we stopped to rest and a couple of "roadwalkers" passed us by.

Suitably rested we carried on and passed the walkers with derisive remarks. Soon we stopped again, that dinghy was bloody heavy and awkward to carry. Yes you have guessed it, the walkers beat us to Earlswood and to make matters worse when we blew the dinghy up and launched it we all got thrown off by the keeper.

Stacks of gudgeon if I remember it correctly.

biggrin.gif

------------------

poledark ANMC

[This message has been edited by poledark (edited 22 July 2001).]

Guest danzante

Newsham Park, Liverpool, across the road from our house.

A knock came upon my door at 7.30am on a June Sunday morning in 1970, it was a good job it was my brother in-law as i did'nt get in till 3.30am c...God knows where i'd been.

He stood there smilin',."e yer cummin fish'n

Dan?"..... "Whaaa?"..i was in a stand up coma,.."what are yer on about Ron?"

"come on al' show yer what to do"

so we bugger'd off with his two five foot plastic rods and two plastic Yo-Yo's....well that's what they looked like.

I sat there with half an inch float sticking out of the water for six Sundays on the trot

(just to please him)and not a bite..looking back i think i slept most of them days....

on the seventh Sunday my float dipped , i struck with unbelievable speed, i dragged out a two inch gudgeon and was hooked for life, the sheer thrill of catching that tiny fish was like winning the lottery for me. smile.gif

Danny.

------------------

Guest paul mc

The first place i ever fished was in Cronton colliery. There used to be a pool there that had constant hot water going into from the pit so the fish bred all year round.

As a child i would skive of from school and take a piece of line a hook and some maggots and catch hundreds off rudd and roach.On the way home we would stop off at halsnead park and fish there for a few hours as well.I still class halsnead park as one of my favourite places.Cronton colliery is no longer there.

Some verry good memories

Danny you must live within casting distance from me i live on Farnworth street now, just off Kenny

------------------

Regards Paul Mc(ANMC)

[This message has been edited by paul mc (edited 22 July 2001).]

Guest Nutter

Hi All,

My first time was in 1960 being taught to fish for eels in the Wye at Breinton. Then went fishing on the Lugg just outside Hereford. I had a break from fishing in the early 70's then started again in 87. I went back to the Lugg and it hadn't changed and like everyone else the memories came flooding back. When I went fishing all those years ago it was always with my mates, I tend to fish solo now, but I could still vividly recall the great fun we had,as Mike said it was like stepping into atime warp.

Nutter. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

------------------

Bill

Hereford

ANMC Founder Member

Guest danzante

Paul,

if you drink in the "Alex" you'll know my father in-law and his sons...George..Derek and Colin B.. they live in Upper Baker wink.gif

Danny.

------------------