Fish you can Eat

Guest goin_fishin

Guest goin_fishin

In some enries i have read people said you could eat carp and gudgeon is this true i know you can eat game fish like but is it poosible to eat coarse fish and not get food poisoning?

Guest paul mc

Yep its true

You can eat most coarse fish Pike, Bream,carp etc etc. The Chineese also eat roach

------------------

Regards Paul Mc(ANMC)

Although eating the old ones is maybe a little risky as they often hold certain substances from the water in their fat and the older, the higher the levels.

In the US, they often issue "fish advisories" laying out which species from a particular water are safe, which are safe in limited quantities, and which should be avoided.

AFAIK, the young (as in 1-2-3 years) of all freshwater fish species are perfectly safe to eat. There are a couple of sea fish that aren't though.

Guest Mike_pk_Waters

Tried roach when I was 12 or so, cotton wool with bones.

Much better are perch wrapped in streaky bacon and cooked on open fire (sorry steve).

Pike makes great fish cakes.

------------------

Life is not a dress rehearsal, enjoy it

Guest Steve Burke

In Eastern Europe carp is the traditional Xmas dish. I haven't tried it yet but will be shortly as we're off on a second honeymoon back to the Czech Republic.

I'm not a fish fan but on a trip to the Baltic with Rapala I was purposely served up perch. It was delicious, but the zander I had the next day was even better!

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Guest Bretty

I saw three bream on the market the other day. all around about the 9lb mark. and all for just £1.56 a lb!!!

Bretty wink.gif

Guest TheDacer

It's only really in the UK - where, in general, people have lost touch with nature -that it is considered odd to eat fish from rivers.

In France, for example, along with the usual Trout and whatever, they eat Carp, Bream, Zander, Pike, and Perch without hesitation.

To my mind this is healthy! Good for us and good for fish stocks. (Though unhealthy for the fish that is eaten, of course!)

I have seen recipes in the UK for things like Gudgeon pie - which is supposed to be very tasty and Gudgeon are very easy to prepare - but I have never heard of anyone actually eating them. (Come to that, I have seen recipes for things like Crow Pie too..)

In general, in the UK, we don't make enough of what grows naturally all around us. It's a shame. Because the tastiest foods definitely do not come wrapped in cellophane from a supermarket.

Ever eaten Parasol Mushrooms dipped in Breadcrumbs and fried? If you have, you'll know what I mean!

Guest NickInTheNorth

Another freshwater fish which is wonderful to eat, but maybe not a good idea now as stocks seem to be dwindling are freshwater eels. It is absolutley the best fish to eat smoked!

Nick

Guest Roy M

Now we're talking...give me a nice fresh run Barbel served on a bed of Rocquet and drizzled with Red pepper infused Olive oil.

Oh and perhaps a side order of french fries.

Heaven....

R.

wink.gif