Fish you can Eat

Guest goin_fishin

Guest bart4real
Originally posted by Roy M:

Now we're talking...give me a nice fresh run Barbel served on a bed of Rocquet and drizzled with Red pepper infused Olive oil.

Oh and perhaps a side order of french fries.

Heaven....

R.

wink.gif

Yum yum! sounds delicious but I think a nice 'double' from the river, lightly grilled with a hint of parsley and stuffed with sausage meat on a bed of corn on the cob would take some beating. May even change peoples' attitude towards barbel if they tasted one? Possibly replace traditional 'burgers'and sausages at a Barbel-que. QUESTION: Should barbel be stocked in stillwaters?

ANSWER: Only if being in the freezer qualifies as, and constitutes stillwater

Guest NickInTheNorth

eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

About 20 years ago when visiting my brother in Romania we were "treated" to a meal by a member of the so called government. (Not very democratic at the time!)

He certainly was not very well paid, and in common with most people in the country largely relied on food grown or caught by himself.

He served us two different fish, a catfish, which was quite tasty, and a barbel, don't know if it was the same species as we get in the UK, but it would have weighed about 7 or 8 pounds. It didn't taste too bad, but seemed to be composed of more bone than anything else.

Nick

Guest Kevin Hackett

Some years back my local hosted a party for workers at the Trent River Authority - I think the fisheries dept. The menu consisted of almost every variety of coarse fish that it is possible to catch. I tried a few and most were nothing special - the carp was ok though. As an aside the biggest roach I have ever seen was on a slab at Leicester fish market. Ok it may have been a hybrid and I did not weigh it, but it look all of four pounds. I could have cried.

------------------

Guest rondo
Originally posted by goin_fishin:

In some enries i have read people said you could eat carp and gudgeon is this true  i know you can eat game fish like but is it poosible to eat coarse fish and not get food poisoning?

THIS IS A FUNNY SUBJECT! COMING FROM A FISH FRIENDLY SOCIETY.

rondo

------------------

Guest Chris Goddard

I believe I am correct in saying this (allthough I will be corrected If wrong!!) But didn't Mr Crabtree eat some of his catches?? In the earlier books??

Chris

Join the ANMC like me!!

Guest phil hackett
Originally posted by goin_fishin:

In some enries i have read people said you could eat carp and gudgeon is this true  i know you can eat game fish like but is it poosible to eat coarse fish and not get food poisoning?

In answer to this question I'd like to recount my most recent experiences to you in Siberia.

I am a confirmed carnivore (no apologies for it!) I also like to try new meats, fish and veg, etc. I do however, draw the line at such things as dog, cat, primates and such like. The thought of tucking into my two staffies or our closest relative, is for me, a thought to far. Best mates and all that!

Anyway, at the start of my journey I spent a few days in Moscow, nice City by the way! Whilst there, I did the touristy things and dinned out in some of the now many restaurants the City has to offer. Some of the food I ate whilst I was there was Crayfish, Carp, Sturgeon, Caribou (Reindeer) meat.

The crayfish I have to say, had a poor taste to them, not what I expected at all. I much prefer there salt water cousins, far more taste.

The reindeer meat was excellent as was the sturgeon, the carp was smoked and tasted very nice, as I like smoked meats, fish, etc.

The train journey takes 3.5 days to get to where we were going (A natural history tour on wheels that was) and stops about every 5 hours at a major town or city station. At each stop the local people come selling their goods to the passengers mainly home-made or grown food. Each stop seemed to have a theme to it. At the first stop was strawberries and some type of forest berries. Wife was in seventh heaven, 30p for a kilo of strawberries. The words donkey and feeding come to mind!

Cucumbers and the biggest spring onions I've ever seen was the theme at the next stop. Anyway the point I wish to make is that, at one stop just after leaving the Urals the area turns into a huge wetland and I mean huge 300-400 squire miles of it. At this stop it was crucian carp that was on offer, mostly smoked but some fresh fish. Wife does the honours and buys some bread type pasty things as we're looking for other snap to buy. I bite into one of these pasties and it was gorgeous. Clearly a smoked fish bread pasty. "Get some more of these love, they're out of this world," is my comment. "What type of fish are they," she asks! "Not sure, we'll ask." We find the same woman we bought them off and asked what fish they were, she points at some fresh crucians the woman on the next but one stall is selling.

The question you asked was "can you eat coarse fish." The answer has to be yes and if we had the cooking and smoking skills that those people have, it wouldn't take Tesco's, MS or whoever very long to start putting them in plastic containers and charging a small fortune for them I'm sure! As to the price of these exquisite culinary delights 5 rubbles, 13p in sterling.

The final point I'll make is that on reaching our destination Lake Bikal and meeting up with some Russian friends they found it highly amusing that we don't eat coarse fish in the UK. Girick our host, after we'd sank almost a litre of vodka, just kept shaking his head and mumbling something in Russian.

To those who may be wondering did I try the world famous Omal (Small freshwater salmon unique to Bikal) yes, I ate it raw, salted and smoked, and it is everything you've ever heard about it. yummy! yummy! yummy! yummy!....

[This message has been edited by phil hackett (edited 08 August 2001).]

Guest phil dean

So that's where you've been, I did ask where you'd got to, great to have you back. smile.gif

I always find it strange that we don't eat more rabbits in this country, it would have been a sight better than giving them mixi.

As to the eating of course fish, I know that my family caught pike for the table during the war, using some very dubious methods, but the idea was to catch fish, not to be sporting.

We are such a rich country that we can afford to pick and choose what we eat, and the squeemish can get away with bulk produced food, however I remember friends in Warwikshire who used to fish for Pike and Zander with the sole purpose of cooking them as this was there weekly source of protein when they had no money (which was most of the time.

------------------

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Guest Nobrott

I'm surprised nobody's heard of the Great Italian Gudgeon Glut of the early 90s, when the ubiquitous little Gonk was almost made extinct by greedy Italian pizza-guzzlers.

The background to this bizarre episode was that global anchovy stocks plummeted as the 'El Nino' weather phenomenon decimated once plentiful stocks of anchovy in the Pacific, forcing prices up to $30 a kilo.

These inflated prices made anchovies uneconomic to spray around willy-nilly on humble pizzas and they disappeared off Trattoria menus from Rome to Venice.

But unable to live without fishy flavouring on their Quattro Stagioni, the innovative Itis went off in search of alternative toppings.

Fishing on the banks of the Po, one afternoon, a peckish Tuscan matchman delved into his keepnet to rustle up a little lunch. Finding only gudgeon inside, he whipped out a couple of slices of Mother's Price, sprinkled the skerrets liberally with salt....

....and discovered they tasted just like anchovies.

Well, all hell broke lose from thereon in. From small-scale local operations initially, the gudgeon-netting industry mushroomed almost overnight.

First the commercial fishermen got involved, then the big pizza retail chains dived in. When the massive US market expressed an interest, the big New York mafia families leveraged their links back home and muscled in on the act.

Pretty soon, scenes reminiscent of the annual tuna slaughtering exercise in Naples were being replayed on every Italian river.

This had a devastating effect on the competition fishing scene, as matchmen accustomed to bashing out pairs of eyes on the whip down the local cut found themselves blanking or getting smashed to bits by hungry predators.

Gudgeon stocks were headed the same way as herring in the 19th century - until events on the other side of the world intervened to save them.

The explosion in gudgeon supply had diverted fishing pressure away from the previously much sought-after anchovy but when Chilean boats started landing them again by the tonne, US demand for gudgeon collapsed overnight and the lucrative Transatlantic gonk trade evaporated.

By 1996, normality had been restored and the humble gudgeon came back from the brink of extinction.

But next time you ring up Dominos or nip down the Pizza Hut - it might be sensible to hold the 'anchovies...'

Mark

Guest Nobrott

You should hear the one about the Californian Codpiece Conspiracy - it's a corker.

Put me off McD's Filet-o-Fish for life...

Mark ;~)