Otter

JV44

Guest redfin2
Vagabond i believe it is supposed to be on Coniston water and yes my guess is Youngster or injured one released and used to humans,The ones i have seen localy or Scotland have all skidadled the second they made me but this one didn`t seem bothered by the cameraman at all .

I think a point to remember here is that the cameraman was also an Angler, something the Otter would see on a regular basis and would therefore more confident around.

But then again there would be Otter that will be bolder than others and can only draw upon their own local experiences as to how the respond to humans.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Prophetic words? :rolleyes:

Or maybe I just have a sense of perspective and catching fish is not the be all and end all of going fishing for me.

Anyway I like Otters unlike Rabbits which are vermin.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I've had a big dog otter lollop past me on the banks of the Windrush at dusk, apparently not at all bothered about my presence. He was a very welcome sight - with him around the non-native mink will bugger off and leave the rest of the native wildlife, like the watervoles and coots, in peace.

We should really trawl the forums and media archives for the sensationalist posts 5 years ago where there were loads of doom-mongering about there being no fish left in 5 years. I saw that otter about 5 years ago, and (amazingly) there are still fish in the river.

I saw one at the back-end of last season too, on the Thames, again at dusk. Shortly after I caught my PB chub.

They are native predators and have been here for 30 million years, with a very brief dip in numbers over the last 30 years. I think if they were going to eat all the fish they'd have managed it by now :rolleyes:

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Apparently there was a BBC South West programme on last night where Anglers were bemoaning the presence of otters in their fisheries.

I only caught the end of the item on the news but remember thinking that this it might be a huge mistake broadcasting Anglers v Cuddly Otters. Can’t seem to find it on iplayer though (might have been a One Show type programme), did anyone see it?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Oh dear.

There are little unofficial groups popping up run by riled carpers who are blind to the big picture, and they (and foolhardy media appearances like Rusty's example) will drag us all down with them. This is my 'favourite' so far: http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forums/showt...=defence+league

That's what we're up against...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

lol I wouldnt be too worried. The guy who is organising the Carp Defence League or whatever it is called can't even use english. It is predation not preditation. I doubt many would take him seriously. :P

On a more serious not however I am sure that the overwhelming majority of anglers would stand up in favour of the otter if needed to to protect the public face of our sport and not just to save face but because they agree that they have as much right as us if not more to be there.

Any angler worth his salt would be well aware that it is us who are the guests on the banks and not the native creatures.

The carp lot are just getting their knickers in a twist because pisswings could get gobbled up as he has become too fat and lethargic to evade an otter. Imagine all the funeral pyres springing up around the country at various commercials as one by one the likes of pisswings, two tone and company get swallowed up my a plague of carp hungry otter! What a shame that would be :D

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Vagabond i believe it is supposed to be on Coniston water

The flat slaty pebbles underfoot are absolutely consistent with the western shore of Coniston - I became familiar with them after several charr expeditions. :rolleyes:

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

lol I wouldnt be too worried. The guy who is organising the Carp Defence League or whatever it is called can't even use english. It is predation not preditation. I doubt many would take him seriously. :P

On a more serious not however I am sure that the overwhelming majority of anglers would stand up in favour of the otter if needed to to protect the public face of our sport and not just to save face but because they agree that they have as much right as us if not more to be there.

Any angler worth his salt would be well aware that it is us who are the guests on the banks and not the native creatures.

The carp lot are just getting their knickers in a twist because pisswings could get gobbled up as he has become too fat and lethargic to evade an otter. Imagine all the funeral pyres springing up around the country at various commercials as one by one the likes of pisswings, two tone and company get swallowed up my a plague of carp hungry otter! What a shame that would be :D

I hope you're right, but I really think we are in a shrinking minority. I think most anglers (and angling 'celebs' and angling media) now would happily see otters wiped off the face of the earth.

'Angling' is now basically carp fishing, oddballs like us are just being dragged along in their dust.

you know what?

its truly awesome to see so many positve posts here about the otter!

im a fisherman, i wildfowl, i rough shoot etc but at the same time i love nature in all its glory...and it really annoys me when i sit in my clubs comittee meetings and listen to the crap a couple of the guys come out with about shooting otters, drowing them..whatever

same with cormorants (which the club has just recieved a licence to cull)

its great to see fellow fishermen looking at this from the eyes of being honoured to see such amazing creatures up close and personal! i know it would make my day; my week or month in fact!

i know not everyone see it the same..even so..nice to see im not alone in my thoughts

you know what?

its truly awesome to see so many positve posts here about the otter!

im a fisherman, i wildfowl, i rough shoot etc but at the same time i love nature in all its glory...and it really annoys me when i sit in my clubs comittee meetings and listen to the crap a couple of the guys come out with about shooting otters, drowing them..whatever

same with cormorants (which the club has just recieved a licence to cull)

its great to see fellow fishermen looking at this from the eyes of being honoured to see such amazing creatures up close and personal! i know it would make my day; my week or month in fact!

i know not everyone see it the same..even so..nice to see im not alone in my thoughts

I think it's because AN has a high proportion of 'all-rounder' anglers who can see the bigger picture. The single-species forums - especially carp and to a slightly lesser extent barbel - don't have that perspective. But they do have by far the loudest voices and the largest numbers. And the media and celebs need to align themselves with the biggest market.