Otter

JV44

Mark my words it will be these realtree clad,fish deifying,"angry young men" that kill our sport.

I think you're spot on. It's the ones who profess to be the saviours of fishing who are the ones killing it for the rest of us. Martin Bowler shouting sensationalist rubbish while facts ping off him like arrows off armour is the last thing we need.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting ( :rolleyes: ) links....funny nobody mentioned that barbel were introduced to the Bristol Avon but the otter expansion on that river was perfectly natural!

You beat me to it Nick, I think that the irony of it is missed (or ignored) by some.

The opening video is fantastic, the angler is a lucky sod. But I can't help thinking that the creatures apparent lack of any fear around the angler, is linked to the way the woman was handling the raised otter in the TV report. I don't think a creature that has been raised almost like a pet, should be released into the wild.

As for the 'debate' on the Cemex forum, what can you say? It shows the narrow view of some (so called) carp anglers. I hope those who accuse the likes of myself of being "anti carp" read it, and it makes them realise just what we mean.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

hang on...im camo clad much of the time!

but thats by the by...

i fished Foxley (our local carp lake) the other week...about the 28th Dec i think...

its a small water, barely 3 foot deep, well stocked, no bank is ever further than maybe 20 foot away from you..with most being much less.....

i sat there fishing as i do....simple waggler just past rod tip....or in the margins..and marvelled at the two guys about five swims away who endlessly cast across 5 swims to fish on the opposite bank to me! then sat down with their bite alarms and proceeded to talk loudly!

suffice to say i caught a couple of nice carp in my session and they caught nothing.

i would suggest they really didnt understand the joy of being amongst nature, they certainly didnt seem to be focused upon fishing (as i know it), and chances are if an otter had shown its head it would have been stoned or catapulted to oblivion!

the old bailiff of that lake constantly cursed the geese thereon..threatening to hunt down the nests and destroy the eggs

the usual moaners at the comittee meetings are bailiffs expounding shooting and killing of otters...

i dunno i really dont..and it depresses me to think on it too much...

is it any different to what we do on our shoot with pheasants? we protect them and shoot foxes and predators to ensure the young birds are protected. but then again all the young pheasants are penned in and protected with fencing and hutches etc until they are released. but again its a "fake" enviroment....a huge stock of unnatural food that would not exist without us putting it there...and again the predators are only drawn to it because of a free and easy meal.

of course there is one startling difference; the pheasnts and birds shot on the shoot are then used for food. the average carp lake is only ever used for pleasure. protecting a food source (in essence a "crop") could be seen as justified far more easily than protecting something used only for pleasure.

we see the natural world through a microscope because of how we have designed the nature about us...an otter seems to have a far better PR man than a fox....and at the end of the day it is mostly PR. as has been stated in this thread

Edited by kirisute

Thanks Andrew, wasn't able to watch it at work (during my lunch break of course). Well, at least the programme didn't mock anglers but I can't see it ever being a strong argument.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Guest redfin2
hang on...im camo clad much of the time!

but thats by the by...

i fished Foxley (our local carp lake) the other week...about the 28th Dec i think...

its a small water, barely 3 foot deep, well stocked, no bank is ever further than maybe 20 foot away from you..with most being much less.....

i sat there fishing as i do....simple waggler just past rod tip....or in the margins..and marvelled at the two guys about five swims away who endlessly cast across 5 swims to fish on the opposite bank to me! then sat down with their bite alarms and proceeded to talk loudly!

suffice to say i caught a couple of nice carp in my session and they caught nothing.

i would suggest they really didnt understand the joy of being amongst nature, they certainly didnt seem to be focused upon fishing (as i know it), and chances are if an otter had shown its head it would have been stoned or catapulted to oblivion!

the old bailiff of that lake constantly cursed the geese thereon..threatening to hunt down the nests and destroy the eggs

the usual moaners at the comittee meetings are bailiffs expounding shooting and killing of otters...

i dunno i really dont..and it depresses me to think on it too much...

is it any different to what we do on our shoot with pheasants? we protect them and shoot foxes and predators to ensure the young birds are protected. but then again all the young pheasants are penned in and protected with fencing and hutches etc until they are released. but again its a "fake" enviroment....a huge stock of unnatural food that would not exist without us putting it there...and again the predators are only drawn to it because of a free and easy meal.

of course there is one startling difference; the pheasnts and birds shot on the shoot are then used for food. the average carp lake is only ever used for pleasure. protecting a food source (in essence a "crop") could be seen as justified far more easily than protecting something used only for pleasure.

we see the natural world through a microscope because of how we have designed the nature about us...an otter seems to have a far better PR man than a fox....and at the end of the day it is mostly PR. as has been stated in this thread

PR what does that have to do with nature conservation? Oh! yes just about everything even down to naming the woman of the year a Panda...that's right a Panda, but that's all right though a Panda is sooooo cute an Otter is sooooo cute but a Fox eeekk or a snake eeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkk...(er).

I give to you that IF Otters didn't look like the cuddly toys that most of the members of AN had as a child (or perhaps they still have listening to their childish retorts :rolleyes: ) than the Otter would just be another victim, as the Eel seems destined, or the Adder perhaps, or what about the Common frog , Toad, Newts, to name only a few? But of course such creatures are not cute, have lousy PR and a hell of a lot more difficult to get funding for to pay the Otter types and the huge money making machine the Panda is to the Chinese.

Oh! and yes the 'face' of the WWF ? a Panda :rolleyes:

So there you have it my friends I can hear already the spitting of dummies and the thump of the teddies been thrown from the cots :D

Edited by redfin2

So your saying that I (and indeed others on here) are that shallow that just because a creature looks "cute and cuddly" we want to see it left alone?

As the Crap Yob thinks he is the only one that can possibly care for carp you seem to think you are the only one thats has reralistic conservation veiws do you?

I thought Ian was losing his marbles but Im starting to smell a Rabbit sorry a Rat now as well............

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Guest redfin2
So your saying that I (and indeed others on here) are that shallow that just because a creature looks "cute and cuddly" we want to see it left alone?

As the Crap Yob thinks he is the only one that can possibly care for carp you seem to think you are the only one thats has reralistic conservation veiws do you?

I thought Ian was losing his marbles but Im starting to smell a Rabbit sorry a Rat now as well............

I am saying that cuteness sells, hard to refute that.

I have made my point I should leave it at that, re read if you need to.

As for the rest of your reply....I really am at a loss, what is your problem and with WHO exactly?

Undoubtedly cuteness sells and that was what Kirisute was alluding to with his PR comment that you didn't seem to like.

My problem is with people who "talk down" and seem to find fault with every viewpoint even the one they've expressed if expressed by some one else!

The references to Rabbit have all ready been explained I thought but I will say it again.Their used to be a member on here who was subsequently banned,He got up several peoples backs by posting in the same way you have been so obviously some of his more bitter sparing partners have assumed you are one and the same.I never had that much problem with the guy as indeed I dont with you but as said you do come across so similar that I can understand their suspicions that you are indeed the same guy posting under a different name.

Just re read your post and it still comes across that you are "talking down to us" this being an example-

"I give to you that IF Otters didn't look like the cuddly toys that most of the members of AN had as a child (or perhaps they still have listening to their childish retorts ) than the Otter would just be another victim,"