Otter

JV44

Gozzer,

Of course you know my comments on this subject (678 posts later) are somewhat tongue in cheek. Still, it is mesmerizing isn't it? Sort of like at our age, well, my age "howling at the moon" waiting for something to change. Grown men (and ladies) committed to convincing each other the world is flat.

In every otter thread it begins civil, then people strongly believe and say things that are just ridiculous. ON BOTH SIDES. It's like watching otters on a steep mud bank. One of my "tests" while counting to 10 before hitting the "send" key is, Do you have any opinions that you would be reluctant to express in front of a group of peers - in person - for any reason?? The internet insulates. Remember, in 1940, any argument against Churchill's aggressive policy was "defeatist" heresy. Was it (either opinion) right or wrong? Well, doesn't matter now. Sort of like me asking you if my daughter should have a tatoo - without asking my daughter. A common internet tactic.

What do you call reading that sort of magnetic material? It's tantalizing to say to myself, right before I "click and read" maybe someone has INDEED said something new (nope). You, know a new angle on "Elvis isn't really dead" kind of thing.

Kiri,

In America there is a legitimate "sport" of shooting carp (the big ones) with a bow and arrow and disposing of them in a dispicable manner (at least IMO) although carcuss(sp) disposal has gotten better in recent years. It's actually a quite large and expensive market in equipment. A 100,000 or more participants. It is an ENDLESS discussion over here. Archery and carp. Those that say OK - - - always say OK. Those that say it's not OK always say it's not OK. Never yet seen a guy change his mind because of the internet.

Phone

Gozzer,

Ohh, as for the camera, you're right. I had to watch the video yet another time to see the guys boot. Cool video every time I watch it.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kiri,

In America there is a legitimate "sport" of shooting carp (the big ones) with a bow and arrow and disposing of them in a dispicable manner (at least IMO) although carcuss(sp) disposal has gotten better in recent years. It's actually a quite large and expensive market in equipment. A 100,000 or more participants. It is an ENDLESS discussion over here. Archery and carp. Those that say OK - - - always say OK. Those that say it's not OK always say it's not OK. Never yet seen a guy change his mind because of the internet.

yeah i know of the bow-fishing stuff.

as you can tell from my sig; i do alot of fishing/ video work for a rod/fishing company in the US...alot of that job involves checking out video footage from the US of people using the procucts. And ALOT of that involves me throwing a wobbly at how badly alot of the US fisherman treat carp!! LOL!

im not tarring everyone, please understand that...but in the vids i see there is nowhere near the respect or the fish handling skills that would be considered even semi-decent here in the UK. I explain it to the CEO of the company and he agrees...so we go through the vids and tackle those we can on the understanding that if he wishes to sell product in the UK then his product cant be seen being attached to badly handled and mistreated fish.

its interesting to see the way attitudes change across to the world...after all, those "carp fisherman" are only catching what was originally dinner! LOL!

they are just veggie otters who walk on two legs! ROFLMAO!! :D

You have to remember that AN is something of a strange little backwater. Most anglers do not think like us. We are in the minority and it is the voice and actions of the majority that will dictate our fate. This is indicitive of the majority view: http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=167251

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I have come to the conclusion that because I can not seem to catch a huge Chub from the Lea, the Otters must have eaten them all. Surely that must be the only reason for my poor showing. Huge Chub have been caught from the Lea before but as I am not pulling them out, those do gooders must be releasing loads of those pesky Otters.

I am so miffed I am going to write to Martin Bowler. Well maybe I will not as he is not radical enough. Maybe I need to form my own action group or "clique" The Otter Annihilation Front. We need out and out war against the Otter and there girly supporters. Enough is enough are we expected to work for our fish :o Otters Out Out Out :rolleyes:

EDIT: Before I get support for my views and applications to join the OAF, I should point out I think Otters have there place and should be left alone but that's only because I am stupid and deceived by how cute they look.

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I have come to the conclusion that because I can not seem to catch a huge Chub from the Lea, the Otters must have eaten them all. Surely that must be the only reason for my poor showing. Huge Chub have been caught from the Lea before but as I am not pulling them out, those do gooders must be releasing loads of those pesky Otters.

I am so miffed I am going to write to Martin Bowler. Well maybe I will not as he is not radical enough. Maybe I need to form my own action group or "clique" The Otter Annihilation Front. We need out and out war against the Otter and there girly supporters. Enough is enough are we expected to work for our fish :o Otters Out Out Out :rolleyes:

EDIT: Before I get support for my views and applications to join the OAF, I should point out I think Otters have there place and should be left alone but that's only because I am stupid and deceived by how cute they look.

Stephen, was the acronym intentional or not? Otter Annihilation Front. Either way it seems appropriate. :thumbs:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

kiri,

Set me up did ya'? Yes, we can use a few tar and featherings. Especially when it comes to carp.

Of course there are those that would say the Brits are a bit anal in their angling habits. Somewhere I've heard - "they are just fish".

Maybe in the middle?

Phone

kiri,

Set me up did ya'? Yes, we can use a few tar and featherings. Especially when it comes to carp.

Of course there are those that would say the Brits are a bit anal in their angling habits. Somewhere I've heard - "they are just fish".

Maybe in the middle?

Phone

Weird that those people spend so much time on British fishing forums ;)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Stephen, was the acronym intentional or not? Otter Annihilation Front. Either way it seems appropriate. :thumbs:

John.

Uninentional, but know you have drawn attention to it. I rather like it.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

kiri,

Yes, we can use a few tar and featherings. Especially when it comes to carp.

"they are just fish".

Phone

Tar and feathering carp? Sounds interesting.

Now why didn't I think of that? :rolleyes:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John