Otter

JV44

Ah but guys of our size have to wear camo mate other wise the blindest of blind moles on the darkest of nights would have no problem making out our outline!

Trouble is (as has been pointed out a lot on AN recently) most of today's "anglers" will agree totally with what he says! Remember the sheep that doesn't wear camo ain't in the flock! Baaaaaaaa and if you "love carp more than anyone else" how could you not be outraged (or at least act outraged!) at the death of any carp! And we must remember once again that for 80%+ of "anglers" these days angling means "carp angling".

But I suppose I'm just "having a go" at carp angling/anglers again............................er despite the fact I am/was one!

Budgie, the countryside wears Camo to blend in with guys of your size :D

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Andy, you wouldn't be suggesting the culling, sorry harvesting of otters, as a way of reducing the influence of angling, and thus leave the way open for canoeists, would you? :unsure::D

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Anglers For Otters maybe? Easy to remember, rolls of the tounge well and a good idea.

Sounds good!....to counter Wilson's Predation Action Group!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Andy, you wouldn't be suggesting the culling, sorry harvesting of otters, as a way of reducing the influence of angling, and thus leave the way open for canoeists, would you? :unsure::D John.

Nah, separate issue mate. But I will plead guilty to enjoying arguing a controvercial case. Damn, I should have been a lawyer.

Edited by andy_youngs

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

Do you really think that Otters are that established that they could be taken and still have a viable population?

EDIT: I think people see Otters where they are no Otters, are there really as many of them out there as some would have us believe?

On my local bits of the Kennett have seen Otters a few times but always a single one....speaking to others in the tackle shops same as one Otter on it`s own most common sighting a big dog otter[is there any other size?? :rolleyes: ] yet most seem to have convinced themselves that there are hoards of them ...many mistaking Mink imo...which kinda says it all

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Sounds good!....to counter Wilson's Predation Action Group!

Yeah, I was disappointed with Wilsons stand on this as well. Now he is a Director of the Angling Trust, one of the magnificent seven in fact. And the local barbel fishermen on the Wensum did unceremoniously fire him from his role as a President of their local angling club for an alleged minor breach of the lead shot rules .... FACT, there's no love lost there ....

Edited by andy_youngs

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

Can we leave the canoeing issue aside for just one moment as I feel the issue of this E-Petition is a lot more important?

I am at the moment trying to get the guy to come on here to discuss his actions.He seems to think that if he had been a young lad (I asked his age if you remember) I would have just slagged him off! kind of ironic that the exact opposite is the truth!

Any way lets wait and see.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Talking of this business of misidentifying otters/mink, I noticed on one of the carp forums one of the 'anglers' mentioned Knotford Lagoon as being over run. The place is over run, but with mink. There has been a problem with mink for the last 20yrs at least, the bailiff used to always have traps laid out for them.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Can we leave the canoeing issue aside for just one moment as I feel the issue of this E-Petition is a lot more important?

You bought the subject up ...

I am at the moment trying to get the guy to come on here to discuss his actions. He seems to think that if he had been a young lad (I asked his age if you remember) I would have just slagged him off! kind of ironic that the exact opposite is the truth!

Any way lets wait and see.

Sure.

We have a situation where it is extremely difficult to cull a 'charismatic' animal which is alleged to be a reservoir for a microbe which poses a significant threat to livestock and human health. The idea that culling or harvesting otters is politically feasible is pure fantasy. I would still be against it if there were any realistic chance of it happening, but calling for it is lose - lose.

Otters and fish will reach a natural equilibrium in wild waters. If that balance means that a 14lb barbel is once again amongst the biggest in the country, with a population structure less skewed towards senescent fish, well, I can live with that. Where they won't reach a natural equilibrium is where they are being fed stocked fish - these fish zoos will have to fence off their pets.

Edited by Steve Walker