Otter

JV44

Why did it need stocking?

Obviously you know more about the Wensum than I do but it appears that the Wensum has been in decline as a fishery since the 70s due to agricultural runoff pollution and siltation problems. Perhaps restoring the river to a decent habitat for fish first would be better than stocking a river with poor water quality?

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So in 29 years a total of around 166 creatures that have an average life expectancy of 4-5 (?) years in the wild and dont reach sexual maturity until nearly half way through this period (I presume they only breed once a year?),that also have a relatively low amount of off spring that have a high rate of infant mortality have increased enough to become a problem?

Is it possible to estimate a reasonably close total for the amount that are now actually living wild? Even a worse case/best case scenario set of figures? I ask this because even though I know nothing about otters I find it very hard to believe that they could have grown that much in numbers over such a period of time?

I could do Budgie...given time...remind me in a couple of days, I'm preparing for a trip to the Bristol Channel at the moment for a codling bashing trip early in the morning!

...if the seals haven't eaten them all B)

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Worms,

Just in case you are collecting "prespective" material - here's ours.

http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/Documents/256.pdf

Phone

Cheers Phone...interesting about the ponds less than 8' in depth being potential fish problems in hot or cold weather...

Obviously you know more about the Wensum than I do but it appears that the Wensum has been in decline as a fishery since the 70s due to agricultural runoff pollution and siltation problems. Perhaps restoring the river to a decent habitat for fish first would be better than stocking a river with poor water quality?

Sorry you have either not read my post properly or deliberately avoid the facts

Its the Waveney I am quoting the environment agency survey from, the waveney I am talking of and the waveney has never been stocked.

John

Edited by John Weddup

Hello all,

Interesting debate on a emotive subject,if you care about your fishing and wildlife.As I am sure the people calling for a cull/management or even harvesting of Otters do. We as humans are the Apex predator and can quite easily cull any specie as we have done for millennia.But that does not make it right does it?

Or is it that the point Mr Roberts is trying to make that we should cull, because we live in a man made world ,or so we/anglers think.

He does have a point about the bad thinking behind the prior release of the Otters i.e. little thought gone into food resources of the areas of reintroduction.But I am sure nature will balance things out and, in the meantime a few fisheries and rivers will see a dip in fish stocks.

If we as fishermen cannot accept this then it is a sad day for us.It will be a real home goal if people start culling and the press will hang us out to dry if they ever get any evidence of this happening.

Fingers crossed for the future.

Jeremy

Old Bob has shut down lines of communication:

admin says:

February 1, 2012 at 5:27 pm

See, I told you Jeremy Kyle was on in ten minutes…

Anyway, this article was about TEN threats to angling as I see them.

Seems it’s only otters that anyone else regards as worth commenting on, and there’s the rub. What you see in the comments I’ve allowed to stand are fairly polite when compared with the abusive ones I’ve had to block and who were they all fro? You’ve guessed, otter lovers.

Lord love ‘em, and I’m sure they mean well but I don’t stand for the level of abuse some of these posts have contained and of course that person’s IP address is submitted to the spam filter along with those folk in the dim distant past who no longer have posting rights on here.

Time to draw a line under the comments now, methinks. Anyone not happy can always use the ‘Contact Me’ button at the top of the page.

Shame I was dismissed as an 'otter lover' and he didn't - or couldn't - respond to my points. Lord love him, I'm sure he means well :D

Maybe he'd like to join me for a day's fishing at the windrush or Evenlode, £499 ought to cover it!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

John,

Let me help Worms, as if he needed my help. Notice the times of the posts. You were posting over each other. You used the term "well stocked" incorrectly which you later corrected. In the meantime Worms was asking the question you object to in his "over the top of yours" post.

Since I am at arms length and more from England I have been "keeping track" of the facts presented. I have an overriding interest in native and naturalized natural balances. While I notice the report (your report) of a decline in fish stock in the Waveney I don't seem to be able to "factually" connect it to an illegal release of otter. It sort of implies and "if/then" association doesn't it? It doesn't really say any otter were released. The EA 2010 report which Worms kindly posted a link to doesn't include an increase in the number of otter in the Waverney although I'm sure, because of the Waveney's importance, it was included in the nearly 3000 sites surveyed in England. Would you agree the Waveney is an important fishing river?

I do note the EA has several reports in progress or published regarding the "River Waveney" because of previous environmental problems (chemical fish kills mostly) within the "Anglian River Basin District" (I guess that's where the Waveney is?).

You sure it's the otter or do you just want it to be the otter?

Phone

Old Bob has shut down lines of communication:

Shame I was dismissed as an 'otter lover' and he didn't - or couldn't - respond to my points. Lord love him, I'm sure he means well :D

Maybe he'd like to join me for a day's fishing at the windrush or Evenlode, £499 ought to cover it!

:thumbs:

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!