Angling Quotations

Guest Chris Plumb

Guest Spiderfan

I once read that, "Fishing can be defined as being long periods of inactivity, punctuated by short periods of intense activity".

An ethos I could aspire to.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me who originally penned the sentence, as I can't for the life of me remember where I heard/read it. smile.gif

Guest danzante

A quote from my great great great grandfather who came over from county Cavan in 1835 said..

"you will never fish alone if you are with someone".

The man was a genius, i like to think i have inherited his intelligence. wink.gif

Danny.

------------------

Guest Chris Plumb
Originally posted by Spiderfan:

I once read that, "Fishing can be defined as being long periods of inactivity, punctuated by short periods of intense activity".

An ethos I could aspire to.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me who originally penned the sentence, as I can't for the life of me remember where I heard/read it.   smile.gif

I reckon this is a parody of this famous quote...

As every combat veteran knows, war is primarily sheer boredom punctuated by moments of stark terror." -- Harry G Summers, Jr. Infantry Colonel.

Still applies to angling though if you replace 'stark terror' with something a bit more appropriate !!

Chris

------------------

"Study to be quiet."

Guest Keith
Originally posted by ALAN FAWCETT:

Some of my favorite quotes from Staffords greatest son are:

1)Angling may be said to be so like mathematics that it can never be full learnt!

Explains a lot: I'm terrible with maths too! smile.gif

------------------

Keith

Blyth,

Northumberland

mailto:keith@go-fishing.co.ukkeith@go-fishing.co.uk

http://www.wacacnet.co.uk

Guest Chris Plumb
Originally posted by NigelT:

Chris,

Good old Issac must have been a bible thumper, has anyone tried to read that mumbo jumbo?

Err.. if by Mumbo Jumbo you mean The Compleat Angler, then yes I have. I admit it's a bit inpenetrable at times but stick with it, there are some real gems - hair-rigging cheese for barbel, chopped worm for tench, flavoured pastes for carp - this man was waaaaaay ahead of his time.....

Chris

------------------

"Study to be quiet."

[This message has been edited by Chris Plumb (edited 24 July 2001).]

Guest Spiderfan

Watching the Peugeot 307 advert on the box last night,

"An Angler is more than just a Fisherman".

popped into my head. As per another ad, true! smile.gif

Guest Chris Plumb

The superstitions thread reminded me of this classic piece. You may recognise it, as Chris Yates and Bob Jones recited it on the bank at Redmire in an episode of 'A Passion for Angling'.

"So far as my experience goes, it is certain that good luck is the most vital part of the equipment of him who would seek to slay large carp. For some men I admit the usefulness of skill and pertinacity; for myself, I take my stand entirely upon luck. To the novice I would say: Cultivate your luck. Prop it up with omens and signs of good purport. Watch for magpies on your path. Form the habit of avoiding old women who squint. Throw salt over your left shoulder. Touch wood with the forefinger of your right hand when-ever you are not doing anything else. Be on friendly terms with a black cat. Turn your money under the new moon. Walk around ladders. Don’t start on a Friday. Stir the materials for Christmas pudding and wish. Perform all other such rites as you know and hear of. These things are important in carp fishing."

H.T. Sheringham Coarse Fishing (1912)

Any quotes from C.Y. yet, Steve??

Chris

------------------

"Study to be quiet."

[This message has been edited by Chris Plumb (edited 24 July 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Chris Plumb (edited 25 July 2001).]

Guest Keith

Another old favourite of mine (and apologies for paraphrasing - I just can't remember the precise wording), was a comment by Dick Walker about big chub.

According to him "big chub are the most timid of all big fish", but after much observing (and this is the good bit!), he was able to state that after being disturbed "they got unscared at a rate of about 20 minutes to the pound"!

Just how much observing did the man do to be able to quantify it like that? biggrin.gif

------------------

Keith

Blyth,

Northumberland

mailto:keith@go-fishing.co.ukkeith@go-fishing.co.uk

http://www.wacacnet.co.uk

[This message has been edited by Keith (edited 24 July 2001).]