Perch Deadbaits

Rob Ward

I know the consensus is freshly killed Coarse deadbaits for Perch.

However the water in question does not allow Coarse fish dead or alive to be used as bait.

If I were to obtain a supply of unbelievably fresh Trout from a fish farm do you think these would be 'the next best thing'?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rob,

I'll WAG at this one. Trout in any form cannot be used as bait. Maybe the "no coarse fish" rules are local and the "no trout" regulation would be a higher authority? In America the Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) our national equalivant your EA forbids it.

The "next best thing" is probably forbidden also. (that's a question).

Phone

I could be "all wet" because our terms are quite different. In the US "game fish" cannot be used for bait.

Phone: FYI, in the UK, trout are very frequently used as deadbaits, primarily for pike in waters that are artificially stocked with trout, usually for the benefit of those who enjoy fly-fishing. On occasion, these waters are made accessible to pike anglers, and trout are the logical deadbait of choice.

With respect to using them for Perch, my first thought is that you need to get clarification that using them would be accepted on this water: they may not appreciate dead trout from another source being introduced to the water, even if that other source is a fishmongers slab! My secong thought is that (unless you know different?) any trout that you are likely to buy commercially are likely to be way too big for use as perch deadbaits ... but if this ain't the case, and the rulers say 'yes', then I'd go ahead and try it ... after all what have you to lose apart from a little time.

That said, under the circumstances, I think I'd be taking along the biggest lobs I could find as insurance, and maybe a few king prawns too! Or try sprats or similar maybe :D

In any event, I'd consider very carefully the issue of traces, as any passing pike will also happily take any of these offerings, and I've yet to find a water that had no pike at all in there, even the ones that apparently 'don't contain any'! :D

Edited by PeterNE1

Peter,

Like I said - - - it was just a Wild Ass Guess. I suspected you guys must be able to use trout or he wouldn't even have suggested that as an option. I was just relating US rules.

No Idea how to go about the actual angling aspect.

Phone

However the water in question does not allow Coarse fish dead or alive to be used as bait.

I wonder if they just used the term coarse, but where thinking more of No Freshwater baits and just used the wrong wording? Never sure whether to interpret the rules to the letter of the law, or seek further clarification.

If allowed and you could get them fresh and the right size they might be a winner.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Does the water in question contain small trout? If so I'd guess there's a higher chance that they would work as bait. I don't know anyone who's used trout for perch bait though, so I can't be sure.

I always think it's worth experimenting so it has to be worth a go, but I'd take a load of lobs for when I lost my bottle ;)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I think your on a loser here Rob.I would be very much surprised if (for their purposes) they dont class trout as banned. Most places who have such bans actually word it as "No Freshwater" baits but "Coarse baits" will still be interpreted as the same.

Ive used small trout as lives for perch but as they are very strong had problems with "tail nipping" all the time.

Another "rule" you would have to make sure you didn't fall foul of is "having undersized fish in your possession"! Sounds daft I know but some years back while helping run the pike fishing days on a trout reservoir when I applied for permission to get in some trout live baits a regional fishery officer started to kick up! Basically she said that we were quite within our rights to bring in/sell/use trout as live baits (providing all appropriate paper work was done) but would have to keep a minimum size of 10" as this was (at the time) the legal take able minimum size!!! Crazy I know but there were (thankfully squashed) plans a foot to stop farms selling "undersized" fish to prevent anglers buying them and then being accused of "taking undersized trout" or indeed taking undersized trout and claiming they were brought! Load of old twaddle eh! Fortunately quickly squashed as several big trout waters actually by their trout in "undersized" then "grow them on" before stocking!

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I think your on a loser here Rob.I would be very much surprised if (for their purposes) they dont class trout as banned. Most places who have such bans actually word it as "No Freshwater" baits but "Coarse baits" will still be interpreted as the same.

Ive used small trout as lives for perch but as they are very strong had problems with "tail nipping" all the time.

Another "rule" you would have to make sure you didn't fall foul of is "having undersized fish in your possession"! Sounds daft I know but some years back while helping run the pike fishing days on a trout reservoir when I applied for permission to get in some trout live baits a regional fishery officer started to kick up! Basically she said that we were quite within our rights to bring in/sell/use trout as live baits (providing all appropriate paper work was done) but would have to keep a minimum size of 10" as this was (at the time) the legal take able minimum size!!! Crazy I know but there were (thankfully squashed) plans a foot to stop farms selling "undersized" fish to prevent anglers buying them and then being accused of "taking undersized trout" or indeed taking undersized trout and claiming they were brought! Load of old twaddle eh! Fortunately quickly squashed as several big trout waters actually by their trout in "undersized" then "grow them on" before stocking!

Trout for zander live or dead is by far the best bait. As pike anglers know it aint bad for them. I have never fished live or deads for perch but if a zander is anything to go by it's deadly

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Does the water in question contain small trout? If so I'd guess there's a higher chance that they would work as bait. I don't know anyone who's used trout for perch bait though, so I can't be sure.

I always think it's worth experimenting so it has to be worth a go, but I'd take a load of lobs for when I lost my bottle ;)

Nope, it's a commercial. Carp and Silvers.

I took Lobs and Prawn on my first trip.