Perch Deadbaits

Rob Ward

Phone: FYI, in the UK, trout are very frequently used as deadbaits, primarily for pike in waters that are artificially stocked with trout, usually for the benefit of those who enjoy fly-fishing. On occasion, these waters are made accessible to pike anglers, and trout are the logical deadbait of choice.

With respect to using them for Perch, my first thought is that you need to get clarification that using them would be accepted on this water: they may not appreciate dead trout from another source being introduced to the water, even if that other source is a fishmongers slab! My secong thought is that (unless you know different?) any trout that you are likely to buy commercially are likely to be way too big for use as perch deadbaits ... but if this ain't the case, and the rulers say 'yes', then I'd go ahead and try it ... after all what have you to lose apart from a little time.

That said, under the circumstances, I think I'd be taking along the biggest lobs I could find as insurance, and maybe a few king prawns too! Or try sprats or similar maybe :D

In any event, I'd consider very carefully the issue of traces, as any passing pike will also happily take any of these offerings, and I've yet to find a water that had no pike at all in there, even the ones that apparently 'don't contain any'! :D

I don't see any reason to use a trace when Perching with singles, fish bait or not.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think your on a loser here Rob.I would be very much surprised if (for their purposes) they dont class trout as banned. Most places who have such bans actually word it as "No Freshwater" baits but "Coarse baits" will still be interpreted as the same.

I've used small trout as lives for perch but as they are very strong had problems with "tail nipping" all the time.

Another "rule" you would have to make sure you didn't fall foul of is "having undersized fish in your possession"! Sounds daft I know but some years back while helping run the pike fishing days on a trout reservoir when I applied for permission to get in some trout live baits a regional fishery officer started to kick up! Basically she said that we were quite within our rights to bring in/sell/use trout as live baits (providing all appropriate paper work was done) but would have to keep a minimum size of 10" as this was (at the time) the legal take able minimum size!!! Crazy I know but there were (thankfully squashed) plans a foot to stop farms selling "undersized" fish to prevent anglers buying them and then being accused of "taking undersized trout" or indeed taking undersized trout and claiming they were brought! Load of old twaddle eh! Fortunately quickly squashed as several big trout waters actually by their trout in "undersized" then "grow them on" before stocking!

No Livebaits allowed so the plan was to buy smallish from a Trout farm and either get them to despatch them or do it myself before heading straight to the fishery.

I know you've bought baits from them in the past, can you get relevant paperwork that says they're disease free that might smooth things with the fishery owner?

I don't see any reason to use a trace when Perching with singles, fish bait or not.

Me neither Rob! If I was getting that many pike take my bait rather than the perch I was targeting them I would simply change tactics or fish with a trace for the pike!

However if I leave an OCCAISIONAL small single in a pike whilst perch fishing with fish baits I would accept it same as I do when I get bitten off by the occasional one when using worms,plastic corn or boilies for tench!

Or should I be using a wire trace "just in case" in those situations as well Peter? ;) A grey area where a bit of commonsense needs to be shown by the individual angler in each individual situation surely?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

No Livebaits allowed so the plan was to buy smallish from a Trout farm and either get them to despatch them or do it myself before heading straight to the fishery.

I know you've bought baits from them in the past, can you get relevant paperwork that says they're disease free that might smooth things with the fishery owner?

You simply apply for Section 30 stocking consent if they want to be 100% sure Rob! But in reality the EA wont be interested and hopefully the fishery owner would accept that a reputable trout farm would be supplying healthy fish! Try chatting to the owner you may be surprised.................then again he might just be a dick but you got to take the chance!

Ive been able to get permission to use trout (even live) from several fisheries that ban "live bait" or "freshwater/course fish" being either used or brought in if they are sensible and have only brought in such rules to protect their stock from being taken or becoming diseased. However those are some times not the real reasons they bring in these rules!

You simply apply for Section 30 stocking consent if they want to be 100% sure Rob! But in reality the EA wont be interested and hopefully the fishery owner would accept that a reputable trout farm would be supplying healthy fish! Try chatting to the owner you may be surprised.................then again he might just be a dick but you got to take the chance!

Ive been able to get permission to use trout (even live) from several fisheries that ban "live bait" or "freshwater/course fish" being either used or brought in if they are sensible and have only brought in such rules to protect their stock from being taken or becoming diseased. However those are some times not the real reasons they bring in these rules!

He's part of the local match fishing fraternity so I suspect the answer could be no regardless, I can but try though.

Edit; just emailed to ask the question will update when I get a reply.

Edited by Rob Ward

WE have a couple of waters where coarse fish may not be used as bait (dead or alive) but where trout may be used. I really don't know what the thinking of the legislators is, I just obey the rules these days, I can't run away and prefer a calm life.

We have had the wire for perch (just in case) debate at least twice before. I find it difficult for much of the time to seperate 'perchin' and pikin'. I like to use small to medium lures and means I am as equally liable to hook pike as perch (and wild trout, sea trout or salmon too) so I always tie on a wire. I catch some very large (in anyone's book) perch, and see no evidence to support the case for wire puttin stripeys off so why not?

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I like to use small to medium lures and means I am as equally liable to hook pike as perch (and wild trout, sea trout or salmon too) so I always tie on a wire. I catch some very large (in anyone's book) perch, and see no evidence to support the case for wire puttin stripeys off so why not?

I've taken several large Perch whilst spinning for pike (with a trace) but NEVER ANY whilst using baits for pike (And therefore traces) I must admit some have told me they have but Im just saying what Ive found.

There's no Pike in the water or other preds.

On any water I'd rather increase my chances of hooking a Perch without wire when targetting them at the risk of leaving a small single in a Pike regardless.

Trebles would be a different matter.

I've taken several large Perch whilst spinning for pike (with a trace) but NEVER ANY whilst using baits for pike (And therefore traces) I must admit some have told me they have but Im just saying what Ive found.

I use lobworms for perching, and we used to use small live fish when allowed to do so. Wire traces didn't stop us catching perch, and what is significant one has a chance of hooking any pike who come along too. A few years ago I was daft enough to go live minnowing for perch without a trace and hooked a very large pike which of course snapped me just above the hook, it wont happen again!

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I'd rather increase my chances of hooking a Perch without wire when targetting them at the risk of leaving a small single in a Pike regardless.

Trebles would be a different matter.

I rarely use less than a size 2 for perching and never smaller than a 6. When we were allowed to use livebaits a single treble through the base of the dorsal of a good sized loach or through the 'mouth' of a live lamprey was favourite for decent stripeys. Of course pike were always going for that type of rig. Wire is essential, both to not leave metal in a pike and to give one a chance of landing them, which we often did.