Perch Deadbaits

Rob Ward

Yet again it seems to be a case of "horses for courses" Emma. I'm sure the guys who have told me have been straight as well.....but of course we wont ever know if any perch had been put of by the wire will we?

I would be quite happy to use wire for perch fishing with bait (it would certainly save all the indecision on some waters I fish) if it was just a percentage of perch that were put off but like I said I have NEVER had a perch on bait using wire! As such I'm quite happy to make my decision on whether to use fish baits or not/wire on each situation I find as I mentioned earlier. It is all relative.

On one water I perch fish I had to stop using drop shotting simply because I kept getting pike all the time but couldn't catch a perch with wire! On another I used fish baits and had to accept the occasional bite off from Pike. I was happy enough (no not "happy" "Prepared" to is better) accept this as I was hooking (and losing just as many,if not more) when Tench fishing) Although not ideal I dont think the relatively small hook I use was going to cause much of a problem.

So like I said relative.Much like the recent "summer piking" debate.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather increase my chances of hooking a Perch without wire when targetting them

Do you really have any evidence to show that perch are put off by wire? or is it just another piscatoral myth that has been around for sp long that it has become accepted as a truth?

I broke to 3, 4 and last year pushed the 5lb barrier with stripeys (watch out for this year, I'm tracking the buggers down). The summer before last we had an exceptional session 17 fish to almost 3lbs and not one under 1 1/2lbs in 5 foot of gin clear water, we (from the boat) with polaroids could see the perch as they squared up to and went for the lobworm baits, The wire put them off not one jot.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Do you really have any evidence to show that perch are put off by wire?

Surely the fact that I have never caught a perch on wire after 46+ years of piking and eel fishing with live and deadbaits mounted on wire is enough for me to accept it as true?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

.....but of course we wont ever know if any perch had been put of by the wire will we?

So like I said relative.Much like the recent "summer piking" debate.

I accept that there will be some below the surface activity that we will never see, and that some perch may be put off by wire, It's just that I havn't seen it nor seen any evidence to support the notion.

On the summer piking debate thread, did you see that I reported catching a pike last weekend! I'm open enough to say when I was wrong, a lure caught January pike, would you 'adam an eve it' ;) however it wasn;t on one of the big glacial waters.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I rarely use less than a size 2 for perching and never smaller than a 6. When we were allowed to use livebaits a single treble through the base of the dorsal of a good sized loach or through the 'mouth' of a live lamprey was favourite for decent stripeys. Of course pike were always going for that type of rig. Wire is essential, both to not leave metal in a pike and to give one a chance of landing them, which we often did.

With trebles I'd agree, Singles I don't see the point.

Like Budgie says at Wingham I usually catch at least one Pike during every visit on just about every Tench bait you could think of both natural and artificial. There are the inevitable bite offs but I've no intention of using wire hooklinks for Tench fishing - same difference surely.

Steve Burke did some experimenting with Wire for Perch perhaps he could comment if he looks in.

Edited by Rob Ward

Do you really have any evidence to show that perch are put off by wire? or is it just another piscatoral myth that has been around for sp long that it has become accepted as a truth?

I broke to 3, 4 and last year pushed the 5lb barrier with stripeys (watch out for this year, I'm tracking the buggers down). The summer before last we had an exceptional session 17 fish to almost 3lbs and not one under 1 1/2lbs in 5 foot of gin clear water, we (from the boat) with polaroids could see the perch as they squared up to and went for the lobworm baits, The wire put them off not one jot.

Emma you should start putting some pictures up!

Singles I don't see the point.

It's at the opposite end to the eye!......sorry but couldn't resist that one :D

Emma you should start putting some pictures up!

Ah, you want, some evidence eh? perhaps you don't believe me? ;)

I could show you some pictures of big perch, there are lots on the internet, but they wouldn't mean anything now would they?

Interesting...over the years i have had a shed load of large stripeys to lives with wire whilst Piking and never found it to put them off ....on the Thames and Kennet at least....mind you maybe i would have caught even more without a trace?? Maybe these things can be venue specific a bit like the worms/Livebait/deadbait preference of some fish at certain types of venue Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Ah, you want, some evidence eh? perhaps you don't believe me? ;)

I could show you some pictures of big perch, there are lots on the internet, but they wouldn't mean anything now would they?

:D The absolute opposite, they're some cracking fish and I'd love to see the pictures.

More members should post pictures!