Would you start a new fishery today?

Norfolkdipper

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with Steve, no river species or exotics (definitely no barbel) and 600 swims is about 550 too many!

Somewhere pleasant and quiet with plenty of space with a nice natural mix of native stillwater species, and I'd be there like a shot. Tench, true crucians, roach, rudd, a few bream, a few carp if you must, perch, a few pike. Aim to get the tench and crucians to specimen sizes.

But unless you fill it with carp and are able to put up with trying to manage hundreds of loud and irritating people, I'd keep the day job ;)

A much as I agree with this, a lot of people in the NW have no Carp available naturally, which is why so many mud puddles pop up. My local river produces loads of silvers throughout the whole year, and big bream/barbel/chub are a regular catch. Carp are present but due to being highly nomadic you can find you only catch one of every 1 of several sessions making it frustrating. Also Pike/Perch are present and go to good sizes in the local River. I think unless a commercial has good stocks of Carp in around here you would find very few people on the bank.... The only exception would probably be the older anglers or disabled anglers who prefer the Carp park to be inches from the water for obvious reasons.

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

Mat,

I bet I could change your mind if you had a chance to fish a huge river like the Missouri River. Fish from 1 to 100 lbs and the possibility of 100 different species adds a 'fun' dimension.

Of course, it is equally 'fun' to see if you can target a species. I like to think I can "buffalo" fish. When I catch a 40 lb carp whilst buffalo fishing I'm really pi$$ed.

Phone

• 2 years later...

Ok this is just a dream, that much I admit.I have wanted to get my hands on these lakes for a few years now, as well as 1.6 miles of river bank. My plan is to create a pleasant venue with space at each lake peg to park a vehicle, pitch a 2 man bivvy & space to fish. To an estimated max of 600 pegs, yes that sounds like I am packing then in, but believe me there is room. Each lake is over 900yds long & over 200yds wide, so not to cramped, as some lakes are. there will be camping, ( in a stone free field), for those who want or the use of 10 self catering mobile homes. The clubhouse will have - bait / tackle shop, daytime cafe, evening bar, general store & day office.Estimated stock levels per lake:-Gudgeon 10000Minnow 10000Ruffe 10000Bullhead 10000Stickleback 10000Bitterling 7500Green tench from 2.5 lb 1000Golden tench from 2.5lb 500Silver Orfe from 4oz 1200Golden Orfe from 4oz 750Bream from 10" / 3lb 5000Barbel from 3lb 500Perch from 8oz 7500Roach from 6oz 10000Rudd from 6" 3000Dace from 6oz 15000Chub from 12oz 3000CarpCrucian 2500Ghost 250Mirror 200Common 250Stock levels are only estimated, but give an idea of what I want to do. The speices covered will give the best chioce.The site will ALL be a day ticket, (dawn to dusk), 24hr & session water. Ranging from (adult) £7.50 per day - £15.00 per 24hr.well that's the idea, so tell me what you like & what you would change. Thanks in advance for your replies.Mark.

the early edition of fantasy fishery with plenty more pegs for sure good game

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

I like games I could win this game with my fishery

It would have carps, roach,pike,perch,Zander,Chanel catfish,wells catfish,black bass,asp,eel,Rudd

The bailiffs would be Baltic ladies in PVC bikinis and they would sell bait beer and sausage and every swim would have a pole for roaming Swedish pole dancers who would tour the fishery. Swims for sure would be more then 3 metres apart so you could pay for extras without other anglers get free view.

must be over 18 and private syndicate and expensive

Can you beat this fantasy fishery?

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

One problem that may raise its head when stocking is in getting the correct balance of species; as some species tend to push out other species.

For example;
We have an estate lake which used to suffer from a lot of polutions in the past (from an upstream government laboratory) and which we have had to restock completely on more than one occasion using the excellent advice of Dr. Bruno Broughton together with another well respected professional in this field (who's name currently escapes me) who used to regularly monitor the water quality for us afterwards.

We found that once we got the balance right and the Tench & Crucians were flourishing along with the other species; the addition of some Bream completely upset the balance and the Tench and Crucians started to disappear completely in favour of the new Bream shoals; even though the fish per acre ratio was still quite low.

We suspect that this was probably because the Bream were wandering across the bed like herds of cattle leaving vast swathes of bed with barely enough food left for any of the Tench & Crucians to flourish.

After removing nearly all of the Bream and some topping up with Tench & Crucians; the Tench & Crucians started to flourish again; and we once again had a healthy 'mixed' fishery for quite a few years.

The estate lake is only about 3 acres in size and a larger and deeper water may be completely different, but these experiences are well worth noting when you decide what stock you want in your lake.

NB. Sadly Since then the clubs match anglers managed to get the Bream back again and the Tench and Crucians have once again disappeared.

Keith (BoldBear)

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I like games I could win this game with my fishery

It would have carps, roach,pike,perch,Zander,Chanel catfish,wells catfish,black bass,asp,eel,Rudd

The bailiffs would be Baltic ladies in PVC bikinis and they would sell bait beer and sausage and every swim would have a pole for roaming Swedish pole dancers who would tour the fishery. Swims for sure would be more then 3 metres apart so you could pay for extras without other anglers get free view.

must be over 18 and private syndicate and expensive

Can you beat this fantasy fishery?

Yes, very easily.

First I'd remove all this nonsense " Baltic ladies in PVC bikinis and they would sell bait beer and sausage and every swim would have a pole for roaming Swedish pole dancers who would tour the fishery."

I'm going fishing, not shopping or whoring, (and I don't have a PVC fetish anyway). :P

Mark - I presume these lake are already up and running IE someone fishes them already?

If so take a long look at how they are already run and species present.

If they are in your neck of the woods I think you will have trouble attracting pleasure anglers, the honest answer and one that most on here will dislike is that to have any chance at all you need to establish a fishery with a stocking of Big carp.

Once word gets out you will not have trouble with building up a syndicate. Syndicate members are far more managable then club or pleasure anglers, part of the rules usually involve taking part on work parties amoungst other things. You could try the commercial route but that involves stocking the water with thousands of small carp and a smattering of silvers for winter fishing - there are enough of these waters around already and the clients go where they can catch the most.

Keeping the water natural you may be able to rent out to a club but they will soon want to restock with their choice of fish which will also bring about the argument of who owns them!

On another note, Million pound run down farm's, lakes, rivers - you won the lottery? :clap2:

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Norfolk Dipper I really hope one of these ideas comes off for you.

Personally I think one of your biggest problems in all this is location and £'s.

One thing Norfolk has got a lot of is water.

There's pits, lakes, ponds, Broads, dykes, ditches, beaches - the lot.

There's an abundance of competition.

Many of the established 'new' fisheries are within 10-15 miles of Norwich.

I think the success of many of them especially for the dad's n lads brigade is being 20 mins out of town.

Think Barford, Hevingham, Taswood etc.

The sting with this is Norwich itself, it's on the up. Considering the economy Norwich is doing very well and has been for the last 10 years.

You've now effectively got a much larger 'stock broker' belt around the city.

20-30+ years ago when a lot of these country pieces of land were considered more of a liability it may of been more achievable.

Take that place in Rockland you posted. Rockland used to be just far enough out of the city to stand alone.

It's now pretty much prime real estate.

I'd say with very limited experience that as much as £250,000 of the 1 million asking price might be down to 10 mile from the city tax.

Fine if you're going to smash some of the old knackered barns down, convert the rest of them to sell on, put a 100 acres of Rolawns finest turf down, some security gates up and buzz into work at your Audi dealership in 10 mins.

It would be a massive ask and risk to take a shot at something with those kind of asking prices to start off with.

An example of what extra distance away does for price is Narborough Trout Lakes.

I forget how many lakes there are, half a dozen? Trout and coarse + big Carp plus a stretch of prime Norfolk chalk stream with something like a 6 bedroom house that's ready to live.

That was on the market a while back for £700-£750,000. Think that was minus the main fish but £250,00 buys plenty of fish.

Maybe start lower down the chain, do a few fishery management courses, take on a smaller property or maybe lease an existing Stillwater and build that up.

Least that way you can go to the bank with something behind you because unless you're loaded, I can't see any of them going near it.

Lots of these new fisheries have to build very quickly on new reputations to succeed, you see so many in Norfolk and Suffolk bomb in the first few years.

Fine if it's a hobby but disaster if not.

Fantasy fishing - if I had the cash I would buy Wolterton Hall in North Norfolk, home of the well known 'Marsh Lake' in the 70's.

Let the wife convert the building into whatever she wanted.

I'd move into the keepers cottage on the otherside of the estate.

I'd put up hundreds of miles of 240v electric fence, possibly some land mines and would stock the lake with some dark black Tench, a few Rudd, Perch, Pike, Eels and possibly a dozen true wild carp if I could find them.....

Edited by dant

I would not have the knowledge to start one regardless but look at the weather we have just had, one of the driest summers on record and now one of or the wettest January’s probably leading to the wettest winter. Being a recent member to Wingham i have also had the foresight of the work that goes into it. ....

Some of you will not know the work that goes in before the Anglers net fish in and it’s much and even budgie sweats so that says it all :bleh::love:

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon