Better fish on deads

lozza

Over the last ten or so pike trips I have done dead baits seem to be the method for selecting the larger pike. I seem to cath same sort of numbers as I do useing live baits but the average size is smaller. The baits are around the same size I just havent had many jacks on dead baits and fished in the same swims were live baits seem to catch jaks. Is this standard are the bigger specimens say uppe teens low twentys lazy?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the last ten or so pike trips I have done dead baits seem to be the method for selecting the larger pike. I seem to cath same sort of numbers as I do useing live baits but the average size is smaller. The baits are around the same size I just havent had many jacks on dead baits and fished in the same swims were live baits seem to catch jaks. Is this standard are the bigger specimens say uppe teens low twentys lazy?

Do you allways fish both then?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

If it needs chasing, pike will prefer a meal around 10% of their own bodyweight to make the energy loss of a chase worthwhile (especially as there is a chance that the chase may be unsuccessful).

So small livebaits (and small lures) will not usually bring in the larger fish (but they may snap at something small directly in front of their nose).

However, the scent trail of a deadbait gives no clue as to the size of the meal that awaits (and anyway the pike won't have to spend energy chasing) so if a pike needs to feed (whatever it's size) it will seek out the origin of the scent, and take it, whether a sprat or large mackerel.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

All the dead baits float fished statics and a patanostra for the live baits. Yes I have fished live baits in the same swim as deads on the same session but not at the time. last week my mate who I let fish in my swim had a 19 10 and 12 8 on deads in between them a small jack on a live bait about the same size if not bigger than the dead baits. My question is if you target larger pike should you stick to useing dead baits as a general rule?

All the dead baits float fished statics and a patanostra for the live baits. Yes I have fished live baits in the same swim as deads on the same session but not at the time. last week my mate who I let fish in my swim had a 19 10 and 12 8 on deads in between them a small jack on a live bait about the same size if not bigger than the dead baits. My question is if you target larger pike should you stick to useing dead baits as a general rule?

NO

Even though the average size of the pike I have had on deads is higher I definitely catch more Pike of all sizes on lives.Deads are pretty poor in comparison to lives on some waters (in fact on a few totally useless) I have caught bigger pike on lives than deads,simply catching more small ones just does not reduce the numbers of big ones you catch neither does catching a higher average size on deads give you more bigger ones!

I'm happy enough to catch more rather than a higher average as it simply means that by catching more I am (on percentages) increasing my chances of catching more bigger ones.Also as it doesn't lower my chances it gives me plenty of sport in between the real lumps.

I still think its conditions that dictate if live or dead is "best" and when I am faced with extreme "good" or extreme "bad" I let this (to a degree ) influence my choice.That said Its very rare I dont fish both at the same time.

Its hard to explain without going into a lot of detail and anecdotal evidence but I suppose the basic answer to your question "if you target larger pike should you stick to useing dead baits as a general rule?" is-

"You wont catch more big fish by only using deads but you will catch less fish of all sizes"

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

"You wont catch more big fish by only using deads but you will catch less fish of all sizes"

I agree with that, despite my pb (22lbs) coming to a deadbait. It is so very frustrating for those of us who are forbidden to livebait. It wasn't always the case when I started fishing the lakes one could do almoat anything when it came to coarse fishing. I believe that we would catch many more fish if could use lives. the ban has prompted us to get really into lure fishing though, and i would like to end my fishing life with a lure caught pb.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

i have to say most of my large pike have been caught on deads. but then perhaps after having some big ones i just have carried on using them. I find lives a bit of a pain in the arse to be honest pulling the line everywhere and thinking i have a bite and then not!

I have not really mastered the art of lives so i stick to deads and it works for me.

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

I believe that we would catch many more fish if could use lives. the ban has prompted us to get really into lure fishing though, and i would like to end my fishing life with a lure caught pb.

In the absence of live bait I think trolled deadbaits or fishing lures must run live baits fairly close.

More convenient too.

Edited by Rich_

lozza,

Never wet a line for UK pike. In fact, not very good at catching Northern Pike (any predators) over here either. But - - - I am a firm believer in the adage "match the hatch". I would bet, even though you refer to 10 times, your experience is an aberration.

It well may be easier to stay away from small fish by using a "second level" (dead bait). Something I often do when specimen carp fishing. Rarely do the "numbers" equal out in the long haul.

Phone