Other than fishing?

kirisute

thread idea from Dales based on a comment by me in another thread!

yes; for years i did medieval re-enactment. dark age stuff; 13th century...just on the cusp of plate armour being used heavily.

i have a wide and varied collection of swords and a fair bit of my armour etc left laying about.

dont ask me how i got into it..suffice to say too many Conan comics and books as a kid!

couple of piccies:

caerlaverock06055.jpg

caerlaverock06082.jpg

on top of this (and part of it i guess) ive studied avrious martial arts for nie on 25 years; including karate, tae-kwon-do and iaido. taught the Wisbech and West Norfolk Karate club for a good couple of years in advanced sparring techniques to prepare them for the nationals at the nEC in Birmingham one year and also performed at the Millenium Martial Arts Festival in Kings Lynn.

do a fair bit of archery; own a hunting compound...im not brilliant but capable :)

do a fair bit of shooting; both game and wildfowl. My brother gamekeeps on land close to Swaffham, so we raise pheasant and partridge for the season. much of this time of the year is spent organising shoots on the land and beating for those shoots.

do alot of pc gaming.

and finally i guess my only other major hobby is digital artwork; i do digital colouring of line art; as well as creating my own fantasy/scji-fi stuff for print and for pleasure:

http://kirisute.deviantart.com/gallery/

you can see my stuff above...some of it is NSFW so be aware! LOL!

most of it is photoshop and 3d work which i also teach at the High school and college i work at. Ive written a good few tutorials on the techniques i use and release them free on the internet for anyone wishing to learn...

thats about it i think....at least for the interesting hobbies! LOL

your turn Dales :P

Edited by kirisute

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Still kind of fishing related, but I like tying flies - even though I could probably buy better ones cheaper! I play the guitar really quite badly, grow fruit and vegetables, make things out of home grown stuff (chutneys, pickles, jams, home brew, etc). I suppose the unnecessary third car is the interest that hoovers up most cash. The thing eating most of my free time at the moment is the necessity to lose some weight - 3-4 trips a week to the gym at the moment, and by the time we've got there, got changed, used the gym, showered, used the pool, showered, got dressed and got home it's eaten an evening. The missus is at music rehearsals two of the other nights of the week, so we seem to spend more time together in the gym than anywhere else! Haven't been out on the mountain bikes since the nights drew in, but will probably start cycling to the gym once it's light enough (and gazing wistfully at the pond we go past on the way). I used to read a lot, but these days I just don't have the time.

Great stuff and what a great idea for a thread :D

Would it be wrong of me to say you look rather dapper in you armour :thumbs:

your turn Dales :P

Errrrrrrrrrrrr, I enjoy reading and bitching on forums about other anglers. I am a keen gardener even though my garden is on the small side. My interest is in exotic plants and so I have gone for a jungle kind of theme in the garden with plenty of bamboo, tree ferns and palms. I enjoy travel and I think this has kick started an interest in gardening as I like to try to replicate the look I see on my holidays and gives me some where to display wood carvings etc that I purchase while away.

So my other passion's other then gardening are travel and gardening. Nicely all three interests sit neatly together as I enjoy visiting botanical gardens on holiday and normally manage to fit in some fishing as well. My partner is very keen on wildlife, bird watching etc and this is rubbing off on me more and more and again this sits nicely in with my other interests.

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I like throwing money at my car!

my-prefect.jpg

My mate currently has it in his garage, where a bearing change and oil-leak fix turned into virtually a complete rebuild.

Nearly there, but then I have a supercharger to fit and then....well, not sure yet, but there's bound to be more to do.

It will look a bit different than that when it's next photographed. The front end is now all one piece and flips forward. The doors have no handles and are converted to suicide opening (and yes, Cory, we did plump to fit proper legal manual opening switches on the outside in the end ;) ), I think it may sit a little lower, too, and the inside will be quite a lot different.

This is me doing something, but my friend has done 99.999% of it:

10c70579.jpg

And this is her next to my Land Rover a few months ago:

94357a32.jpg

I really should get around to taking some new photos and uploading them.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

WOW awesome idea for a thread Dales; so much to talk about already!

lets see:

Steve~losing weight...i know what you mean..the missus and i are on a bit of that...happily ive lost nearly 3 stone in about a year! just by cutting out crap food, cooking all our own meals fresh and taking left overs to work for lunch the next day!

Dales~ exotic plants? awesome! i love bamboo...its my fascination with the orient it goes hand in hand with....with martials art i studied alot of philosophy and zen etc and the bamoboo features alot in such things...growing my own in a big pot out in rhe back garden...cant get it to grow very big though...any ideas? i heard it limits its height to whatever area it has to grown in?

dapper in my armour? your only saying that now because you took the **** when you first read it :P

i have some very early photos that we did that make me look like a deadly version of Spandau ballet! LOL!

Elton~ thats a beast car! always wanted something like that..personally it would have to be a Dodge charger with all the usual trimmings for me....but man thats a sweet ride. is that the final paint job? or do you have plans?

EDIT paint job is a tsupid question because the rest of your post appeared! LOL

whats the plan for the paint job then? if you want anything photoshopped onto photos of it to get ideas then let me know! we can take some hi-res piccies then i can adjust colours and add decals etc all in photoshop so you get an idea of what she might look like.

Edited by kirisute

It is said that a happy man has at least one outdoor interest and at least one indoor interest.

My outdoor interests are angling (coarse, game, sea, overseas, and big game) and birdwatching and wildlife generally - not only in the UK, but worldwide. Norma, my wife, shares both those interests, but whereas my priority is fish, hers is birds. We spend at least a month in winter somewhere warmer than Britain, fishing and birdwatching.

Over 4000 species of birds seen, and I have now caught by angling 432 fish world fish species, Norma has 198, and our combined list is 461 . I am a bit of a non-conformist here, as I would rather catch a tiny fish of a new species than (say) a 9 lb tench.

My other outdoor interests used to include playing Cricket and Rugby Union, as well as restoring, firing and driving steam locomotives. Age and increasing deafness has put paid to those, but I continue to take a keen interest in steam locomotive history and design.

Indoor interests are now focussed on British Postal History from the days of Empire, (I collect old postal covers, even from the days before the postage stamp was invented) and reading and writing about fish and the history of angling.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Dales~ exotic plants? awesome! i love bamboo...its my fascination with the orient it goes hand in hand with....with martials art i studied alot of philosophy and zen etc and the bamoboo features alot in such things...growing my own in a big pot out in rhe back garden...cant get it to grow very big though...any ideas? i heard it limits its height to whatever area it has to

Yeah, to get to a big size they need plenty of root space, but you will also need to be growing the correct variety, I have about 15 different varieties. To max the size, make sure they get plenty of water during there little growth spells when they send up new culms. The height will be determined in the few weeks they send up these up, by the time the side branches start to shoot, that cane will have reached it's eventual height, but year on year if conditions are right the newer culms will reach a greater height.

So next time your bamboo is sending up new culms, make sure you provide it with plenty of water and some plant food.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Yeah, to get to a big size they need plenty of root space, but you will also need to be growing the correct variety, I have about 15 different varieties. To max the size, make sure they get plenty of water during there little growth spells when they send up new culms. The height will be determined in the few weeks they send up these up, by the time the side branches start to shoot, that cane will have reached it's eventual height, but year on year if conditions are right the newer culms will reach a greater height.

So next time your bamboo is sending up new culms, make sure you provide it with plenty of water and some plant food.

Ahhhh cool! Another thing learned today! It has been a good day!

All,

You'll probably not believe this. I'm a bit manic. Known to jump about a bit. My current persute is a crowd of "blue rinse" ladies playing duplicate bridge (with spousal approval). I officiate "little league" sports (now, only the smallest of sprats). Not only do you have to "train" the newest of participants, you have to train new parents and coaches. I'm real good and "not taking things personally" from experts, dads and mums. I mentor academic subjects at the middle school level. And, while not lastly, at 75 I have a 14 year old daughter. I am the primary chauffeur.

Fact is, it is harder and harder to go fishing nowdays. I've really had only ONE session of any count since before Christmas. Any number of issues involved.

Everyone should have something in their back pocket for life's rainy days. The most important thing is to please yourself not pity (done both).

My comments to others.

Kiri, In an earlier life I was a foil fencer (regional level). Hardest physical exersize I ever encountered, much like boxing. (It did help to be left handed, tall, skinny.)

Steve, 6'3" - 10.5 stones (eat your heart out)

Elton, Uhh! drivers wheel seems improperly located?

Dales, Why are you intentionally growing stuff you can't eat?

How boring am I :o

Golf (badly)

Given we have 3 acres of lawns, cutting grass <_<

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/