Other than fishing?

kirisute

All,

You'll probably not believe this. I'm a bit manic. Known to jump about a bit. My current persute is a crowd of "blue rinse" ladies playing duplicate bridge (with spousal approval). I officiate "little league" sports (now, only the smallest of sprats). Not only do you have to "train" the newest of participants, you have to train new parents and coaches. I'm real good and "not taking things personally" from experts, dads and mums. I mentor academic subjects at the middle school level. And, while not lastly, at 75 I have a 14 year old daughter. I am the primary chauffeur.

Fact is, it is harder and harder to go fishing nowdays. I've really had only ONE session of any count since before Christmas. Any number of issues involved.

Everyone should have something in their back pocket for life's rainy days. The most important thing is to please yourself not pity (done both).

My comments to others.

Kiri, In an earlier life I was a foil fencer (regional level). Hardest physical exersize I ever encountered, much like boxing. (It did help to be left handed, tall, skinny.)

Steve, 6'3" - 10.5 stones (eat your heart out)

Elton, Uhh! drivers wheel seems improperly located?

Dales, Why are you intentionally growing stuff you can't eat?

any type of martial art is great physical exercise..alot of people think of the martial arts simply being oriental..but of course it literally means arts of war or of the warrior.

couple swinging a nice weighty sword with wearing chainmail or plate armour and you have an exercise regime to rival any Zumba class! but not as many bikini clad ladies doing it...which is odd

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where do I start?

Fishin' (includes tackle making/adapting/developing), longbows (making and using but quiter these days), guns, all sorts, clays, target rifle, muzzle loading pistol, shotguns etc., cooking, growing food, preserving food (as Steve) and smoking etc, working on my house (not really DIY, more constant requirements of a 15C building), cars, bikes, engines in general, my dog, my workshop, a bit of engineering 'tiddling' that sometimes ends up as 'brainwave' engineering projects, my work.....I'm a consultant ecologist/zoologist, so loads of fora to argue on :P

might add some more later! :rolleyes:

Phone probably can't comprehend 15C! :P

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Martial arts - Yes a bit. Dan grades in Aikido and Ju-Jitsu, lots of Muay Thai and Ninjutsu and healthy doses of Kali and Kung-Fu. I taught for 20 years but packed it in a couple of years ago. Currently looking for a hobby club.

Cycling - Commuting and leisure.

Cooking - European, Asian and a bit of Tex-Mex.

Brewing - Wine and beer. Yum.

Travel - I spend about three months a year travelling with a lot of that in India.

Kayaking - I just got a new toy.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

For me it's fishing --gardening--photography.

I bottle my beetroot and tomatoe sauce, make cualiflower pickle and last year made Green tomatoe chutney.

If i get a good crop of Capsicums i roast them and bottle them in olive oil, really yummy.

Make a fair bit of butternut pumpkin soup.

Last year started collecting cacti and succulents. The collection so far,( below ) space is a problem so may have to ditch a couple of chairs i have outside.

Newplantstand002.jpg

Cheers Fred

Edited by Clifftop

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

Birdwatching, some photography, (mostly birds and dragonflies) and more recently Pottery, (the kiln is firing right now actually) so I get out quite a bit and I get to play with mud and fire. B)

Lots of martial arts guys on the forum - I'm a somewhat lapsed one, 1st Dan Judo, although not been in a dojo for 15 years now. I'd like to get back into it, but the effort and willpower required to get back into suitable shape keeps defeating me :(

Currently - keep Tropical fish, have two tanks, one community, one smaller one that is about to home a Siamese Fighting fish.

Also enjoy playing online poker, One day I'll go to a card room and play for real, but online is fun too! (Just for small stakes!)

Mat

Mat