Trebles for carp

Guest Richard Capper

Guest oolichan

Amen Newt,

I've fished Pike for the last 15 years, and haven't used a treble hook in over 10. Trebles are overated. The hookset, IMO, is worse than a single. I've caught tons of Pike on a single barbless open Siwash Gamakatsu.

Why would angling ethics differ with the species being targeted? Ban all trebles!

------------------

www.coastangler.com

Guest M Godliman

Hi Newt,

I suspect the reason for the sham question about carp is that had Richard used that hoary old chestnut "I think all trebles should be banned" point of view.He would either be just ignored or would get alot of predictable responces from pike anglers(like myself).

Of course he has the right to express an opinion and campaign about hooks/species.

If something becomes truly distastful to the majority it will probably eventualy become such a minority practice that to ban it will be a small step,like cock fighting.I think using trebles is along way from that for a while.

It's just the way the question was originated realy yanks my chain,as you say Newt perhaps I should be more forgiving I will try.

Martin.

Guest BarbLess

Trebles and Barbed hooks should be banned full stop. They are not necessary, and do alot of damage to the fish mouths.

Anyone who says they lose carp on barbless hooks suggests they are either extremely unlucky or doesn't know how to play a fish.

I except barbless lures could account for pike coming off. So flattened barbs could be tolerated, but not treble hooks.

It's hard to lose old fashioned ideas...it seems to take ages for them to lessen their hold in any areas of life.

Angling really doesn't need these two formentioned. They do not good to our sport.

I think this thread is excellent. It gets right to the heart of the barbless/treble hook disaster, and really offended some, because they smell the truth. (hipocrits).

Guest M Godliman

OK Mr Barbless.

I understand from your unusual name this is your particular hobby horse so naturaly you would think it an excelent debate.

Evidence suggests though at the moment trebles are a long way from being abandoned yet a while.

Martin.

Guest Tim Kelly

This whole debate seems utterly rediculous. Trebles are fine. lure fishing with any reasonable sized lure would be virtually ineffective without trebles. I know there has been a lot of debate about circle hooks recently, but for most situations trebles are the only way to hook the fish. In some bait fishing situations it may be possible to use singles, but I bet trebles would be more reliable hookers. We are, after all trying to catch fish! I am fairly sure that the people who so strongly dissaprove of trebles are not pike anglers and have very little practical experience of using them.

Tim

Guest Richard Capper

Well ... Sorry to those who are upset at the beginning of this post but I believe had I said 'I don't like trebles' then I would have been ignored, however now we have a discussion. Yes pike have boney mouths BUT if a treble hook can penetrate this armour plating then a so could a single hook. no one has really mentioned what happens when you hook a pike with the bottom treble of a snap tackle withthe other waving around its head.

As oolichan says 'Why would angling ethics differ with the species being targeted?' I just find it amazing people get so irate that one might consider using a treble for carp and yet got equally irate suggesting about using anything but trebles for pike.

Yes the idea of fishing is to catch fish some (but not all) try to put the fishes wellfair before catching fish. Afterall dynamite is very effective Im told.

Yes snap tackles are the norm but so were gaffs fixed bolt rigs bent hooks etc but now they're terrible and no-one would consider using them!

BarbLess said 'I think this thread ... really offended some, because they smell the truth. (hipocrits).' does that feel familiar Tim?

P.s. Pinkeye

How can you compare fishing techniques used for predators with those used for carp fishing? Quite easily Ijust think carp anglers are a little bit more caring about their catch. (I'm not a carp angler I fish for all species.)

"Richard, if you are trying to defend your chosen fishing methods by ridiculing or casting doubts over other methods you are barking up the wrong tree here!"

I don't need to defend my methods perhaps you can tell me what is wrong with not fishing for pike with trebles because I don't agree with them? I'm not trying to ridicule anyone I just was trying to put treble hooks in perspective i.e. using them for carp which is totally unacceptable. WHY?

Yes we have enough enemies outside of the sport but treble hooks don't really reflect well on the sport as a whole.

I have fished for pike for over 30 years I have tried most combinations in that time including single hooks and the VB double hooks.

My standard rig now is a big single as the top hook and an appropiate sized treble as the other hook. The single is used solely to attach the bait.

Let us now think about the problems in hooking pike... because of the grip a pike takes when it seizes the bait it is almost impossible to move the hook(s) we have to wait till the pikes mouth begins to open before the hook(s) can find a purchase combined with this is the hardness of the mouth. A treble maximises the chance of the hook finding a hold.

The 'snap tackle' has been around since the dawn of time and has stood the test. The majority of pike anglers use this type of rig the only change from its original state being the use of semi barbed hooks. Untill I find an alternative that gives me the same results as a treble then thats what I will use.

Guest Danny H

Yesterday I took my little son fishing he's too young for lure fishing( 2.5 yrs) and in order to catch fish relatively easily we fished small worm on a little size 16 hook.

I bought these hooks years ago when I bait fished, they are barbed.

When unhooking the little perch I was horrified by the amount of grief that unhooking with disgorgers and little barbed hooks causes.

Don't forget these little perch gobble the baits down, no chance of lip hooking all of them .

anyway In the end I changed hook to some size ten barbless I had.

Single barbed hooks seem to cause more tearing than my crushed barb trebles, at least in the unhooking procedure.

Don't forget if one point of a treble has hold in the mouth, the other two points will not touch anything, they will be pointing out into space in 90% of cases.

More of a problem may be two hook rigs.

In order to eliminate this

Many of my big lures now have only one belly treble, and I can categorically state that I miss many, many fish , I feel them hit the end of the lure(where I have stuck tails), so this situation will have to be modified somehow in order to have a balance of some kind.

It is always going to be compromise, that's life.

As far as snap tackle and bait fishing is concerned I leave the experts to talk about that. I do see that in Australia they fish deadbaits with a kind of multi single threading set-up, that covers all the bait nicely, but whether this would work on bony mouth pike I have no idea.

I am not preaching that all bait fishers use barbless hooks, I can understand the need to feel confident if you are only going to get a few runs a day.

But for me barbed small single hooks will now be history- too much surgery needed to remove.

[This message has been edited by Danny H (edited 08 September 2001).]

Guest Richard Capper
Originally posted by esox:

Untill I find an alternative that gives me the same results as a treble then thats what I will use.

This is my problem I don't like trebles thus this leaves me with very few options for fishing with large deadbaits. I have tried to work out clever methods but they don't really seem to work well.

Any ideas?

Guest Leon Roskilly
Originally posted by Danny H:

When unhooking the little perch I was horrified by the amount of grief that unhooking with disgorgers and little barbed hooks causes.

A barbed hook is a lot less efficient than a barbless hook.

Try pulling a barbed hook through a piece of chamois leather, then try it again with a barbless hook. You'll see what I mean.

That's why I crush down the barb on all of my trebles on lures and snap-tackles.

With hooks regularly sharpened, I get a lot more hook-ups that way. The hook is more likely to drive home to the bend, and doesn't get stuck at the depth of the barb, to come free during the twisting fight.

Anyway, that has been my experience.

However, when it comes to fishing for perch and eels you must remember that their vital organs are up toward their throats.

Deep penetration of a deeply taken hook is the very last thing that is needed.

For this reason, you won't find many perch anglers advocating the use of barbless hooks.

Tight Lines - leon