CENTRE PIN REELS

spanishstyle

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hugh Middleton:

Chris and Mat,thanks for the informative replies.

Paul,looking forward to hearing the results.

Hugh

Initial findings from a drizzly half-hour or so spent casting in the park, watched by various bemused but thankfully well-behaved children, rather more pensioners, and a lot of dogs. [Note about the latter: something I used to do thirty years ago, during the long, winter months, gamefishing close season, in wales: set up a rod and line, attach a good-sized stick. Throw stick for a large, unwalked dog (mine, at the time, were Dobermans). Play dog until either it or you have had enough.]

The old line I mentioned above was Fireline in 8 or 10lbs, not Spiderwire. I quite like Fireline for SOME spinning still, but was less than impressed by it several years ago for light float with Wallis Cast work.

Still, I persevered this afternoon, and found that I could cast well with both lines, but found (as I had indicated earlier) that the Fireline, once wetted, tended to 'stick' in the hand rather more than the slick mono. As someone who started using a centrepin at a time when some North Country grayling-trotting aficianados were still recommending Milwards Black (or White) spider braided terylenne lines as the Only Thing To Use, I am no stranger to braid. I have often used dacron and terylene on multipliers for Wessex salmon spinning, too. "I LIKE braid," I have always thought, "It's so much groovier and, well, professional than stretchy old mono..."

Stretchy old mono...

Hmm...

But, then, in the years that followed, I went on to find that there were times when stretchy old mono was the ONLY THING to use - especially when fishing for big, mental, Indian mahseer, when the 'cushion' offered by mono can be mean the difference between success and long-distance release accompanied by a rifleshot line-break...

So, I had better find myself some Spiderwire to try.

Will it be smoother than Fireline (which isn't really braid, but dyneema strands welded together)?

How about stiffness / limpness, then?

Too stiff, and it's Hell to cast and can make seamless tackle-control a struggle...

Too limp, and it can do nasty things on a windy, wet day...

But for a lot of British spinning and legering?

Non-stretch, low-diameter, modern braid is fine.

For lighter trotting work, though?

The jury - for me, at least - is still out.

[ 23. April 2005, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: Paul Boote ]

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

quote:

Yes, I think I'll start with mono as I'm new to the centrepin. Anyway I want to use it initially for short-distance fishing in a local carp puddle; perhaps later this year in a small lake in Cavan where the tench aren't too far away. Might try braid later - I use it already for ledgering and deadbaiting for pike and I enjoy the feel.
I tried it out today on my local carp puddle. Not a lot going on but there was a match yesterday so I assume the fish were ****** off from being harassed. I got a few small carp. But the reel is lovely to use - so light. The rod feels almost like a pole.

I too am a centrepin fanatic, as those of you who remember me will know. I use them for most of my fishing, often choosing to fish a swim suitable for my 'pins rather than one that holds fish. Some years ago now I asked a question on this site about a suitable low diameter floating braid to use for long trotting for grayling.

I seem to remember it was Alan Rowe who put me onto 4lb Fireline (many,many thanks) and I've never looked back. I use a short length of 4lb flourocarbon between the braid and the hook length, I like to think that it doesn't cast a shadow when it passes over the fish.

When trotting for barbel on the Kennet I found that the heavier breaking strains of Fireline were too stiff and I found a braid marketed by Shakespeare called Bionic Dynacord in 15lb. works very well.