CENTRE PIN REELS

spanishstyle

Paul No I have had the habit since I was a youngster and learned from an article in the Badminton Library series books by FWK Wallis called the Light Float Cast in the Nottingham Style. Living up here in the far North West I never got to meet any of the great southern gentleman so had to do things the hard way!

I finally met Alan T about a year ago when we did a charity casting event on the Old River Lea which was hosted by RMC thanks to Ian Welch.

It was only in recent years with access to the internet that I discovered that there were comparitavely few people that can actually cast in this way which is why I have always offered to teach anyone that wants to learn.

My current crop of reels are all modern ones because I use my pins for the bulk of my fishing and fail to understand why people collect the blessed things and todays reels are better built

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spindle:

Spindle:

Paul I Wallis cast and truth to tell taught Spindle amongst many,many others.

Yep... and I'll never forgive him....

[cos this centrepin fetish is costing me a fortune!! :D ]

Paul, I managed to get hold of a copy of your Wallis Cast article from "Angling". A very good article, slightly different style to the way Alan taught me.

Alan (Roe) has his own style - if you can play my silly video (see link below - it's sometimes a bit funny with some media player versions) you'll see me *try* to explain the Alan Roe method.

Interestingly I've just borrowed a Bewick (until mine arrives), and have just acquired an old Speedia. That Bewick is nice... but I really love that Speedia...!!!

(oh, by the way, Paul - I'm Glenn Smith - we spoke on "the other forum" about trying to track down the name of FWK Wallis. Still not found out any more... :( )

Speedia.

Now you're talking, Glenn.

I have five Speedias. Two 4-in. Wides, two Narrows, and a Narrow in need of 'surgery'.

Problem with one of the Narrows, though -- it fell off the car (in 1973) of the man who taught me the Wallis Cast in March 1972, the man who learned the Cast from FWK Wallis himself on the banks of the Royalty in the early to mid 1930s.

Saw a piece by Alan Tomkins on the Amey site the other day -- 'Garry' in Redditch, ex-Young's, who does reel repairs... So I mailed him. No reply yet.

Dave Swallow reels, I understand (and judging by the looks of them) owe a lot to the humble Speedia -- rightly so.

[ 22. December 2004, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: Paul Boote ]

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

Paul Boote:

Saw a piece by Alan Tomkins on the Amey site the other day -- 'Garry' in Redditch, ex-Young's, who does reel repairs... So I mailed him. No reply yet.

Garry Mills you are referring to. Bl**dy good engineer - website here: http://www.milltackle.co.uk

Better to ring him though - he's happier with a lathe than a computer I think!

Really nice bloke though - will talk "pins" for hours if you're not careful! He designed many of the Youngs range - the Purist was one of his I think.

My Speedia is a narrow drum and though I know eveybody hankers after the wide drum deluxe, I'm happier with the narrow one! I love it!

Alan Roe:

My current crop of reels are all modern ones because I use my pins for the bulk of my fishing and fail to understand why people collect the blessed things and todays reels are better built

Funny - majority of my fishing is with pins, and though I have some lovely modern ones, my favourite will always be my Match Aerial (and currently that Speedia is in a very close second!!). I'm not a glass-case collector, I'm a user through-and-through.

Each to their own Glenn..........Interesting thought though I wonder what everybodys favourite pin is???

Answers Below..

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Well, I learnt to cast from Paul's Angling article, and a very good one it was too. I'm besotted with a small Carter Roach reel: am I right in thinking Richard carter isn't making reels any more? My wide Match Aerial is a fearsome beast, but runs for thirty two weeks on one flick of the handle. I like it for barbeling.

N

No Richard packed it in he got a very tempting offer of a really good job and took it....Much to Sue's relief I'm fortunate in having one of his six spokes and one of his twelve spoke reels neither of which would I ever part with they were presents from my family.

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Can we get some sort of consensus for spanishstyle as to which reel(s) are likely to be suited for a beginner fishing the sort of waters he has near him?

I think his original question sorta got lost in here somewhere.

I know bupkus about pins and I would still have no clue where to start at this point if I wanted to get one so he may be in the same position.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President