CENTRE PIN REELS

spanishstyle

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alan Roe:

Each to their own Glenn..........Interesting thought though I wonder what everybodys favourite pin is???

Answers Below..

Glenn's gonna hate me for this....

Witcher - no contest. :D

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I own an Okuma Avanta Pro, I have taken the handles off.

The Pro is Bronze, the cheaper version is silver.

you can get a pro off ebay for around 65.00

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I've got three Shakespeare Eagle reels (two wide and one standard). Cost less than £50 each (look on Internet sites). I use them a lot, and they seem okay to me. They are made in South Africa using ex-Grice-and-Young tooling etc.

The Okuma looks nice, but doesn't come with a line-guard - which I regard as essential (I don't Wallis cast). Don't like the over-bright silver or gold finish on the Okuma's either, I prefer something drab and preferably matt.

As I've said elsewhere, I think most centrepins are grossly overpriced, notwithstanding limited production runs etc. Let's face it, in engineering terms the basic construction could hardly be simpler, could it? Still, if people are willing to pay over the odds, centrepins will continue to be priced accordingly.

'first time I've seen one of these anywhere'

Theres a guy in Scotland selling the Okuma Sheffield on US Ebay.

I agree with Spindle, far too shiny and a bit over engineered. It looks like the swiss cheese of centrepins.

No doubt about it, the Aventa has bridged the gap between the inexpensive end of the market and the ridiculously over priced 'must have' end. My Rapidex and Trudex have both become redundant since I bought the Aventa. Nice reel.

[ 23. December 2004, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'