Pike Anglers: Compulsory Courses?

AddictedToScopex

Pike Course  

51 members have voted

1. 1. As an experienced pike angler would you object to having to attend a "handling/Unhooking" course prior to being able to fish a water for pike?

• NO
    • YES

But it would have to be compulsory to make it worth while surely Ian? And the reason I said earlier that it shouldn't be administered by the likes of the PAA was so that it didn't become a money making scam that would not only put people off but stop some from being able to attend.

If I went to one where the guy instructing wasn't up to it I would certainly speak up as well! But once again if it was handed over to a body like the PAC (just for example) then surely their pride alone would ensure the right guys were chosen?

I would have thought a few teach in's on unhooking eels would be more called.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But if everyone has to attend before being allowed to pike fish then surely its targeting everyone?

If I had to attend to have access to a venue, I would be fine attending and pass or fail. However if I failed there would still be loads of waters I could fish and no one would ever know I could not handle Pike and I could do what ever I wanted. So I don't see what difference this scheme would make.

I think on a club or fishery level it could work. But not sure it would achieve it's goal to improve things overall. Those who want to learn, will seek out advice. Those who don't can still find waters where they can do there own thing. I'm all for encouraging clubs to run these coarses and if the club decide its compulsary fair enough. Private fisheries often set there own rules anyway and if you want to fish them, you follow them.

If we did have to pass the Pike test then surely I should need to take an eel, Zander and Perch ones. Deep hooking happens more with those species for some anglers. Then there is mouth damage to Carp and Tench so maybe we need coarse for them.

I started a thread recently with the rather poor title about "should we ban summer piking" I think many thought I was all for imposing rules on them, but my opinion is that it should be up to the venue owner/fishing rights controller. I think the idea of Pike certification should be the same. If the fishery manager wants it, then that's fine they should do it.

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I would have thought a few teach in's on unhooking eels would be more called.

Maybe so but not really what we are discussing is it mate? But if I did fish a water where such a ruling existed for eel anglers I would welcome it.

Please note it wasn't me who raised this subject and in many cases I'm merely playing Devils Advocate.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

First Anderoo, I don't object to it if it's voluntary for people who need it but do object to being forced to do it if/when you already know as much or more than the instructors !

Ok, i've seen lots of people struggling to unhook a fish when using size 18 barbless ! Should everyone including people who've been fishing for many moons go on a course to be shown how to unhook any fish ?

Next thing it will be compulsay and you'll need to pay for the privelige ...a crock of shite imo.

We can keep thinking up new trivial and silly rules forever !

But my point was, nobody thinks they need it, including all the people who haven't got a clue, who are currently free to go and fish for pike! So it has to be mandatory (I'm talking about club/day ticket/syndicate level, not national).

By fishing elsewhere on principle, all you're doing is choosing to fish waters where you have much more chance of your fishing being ruined by idiots who think they know it all, but haven't got a clue, and have no desire to learn any better.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Personally although i rarely pike fish i would welcome a bit of tuition on how to unhook pike.

I know the theory and have a rough idea what i'm doing , but i wouldnt say i was proficient. Maybe i should go catch more pike and practise. But at present i prefer pike fishing with others that could show me here i'm going wrong in certain situations.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Same as I replied to Ian mate. Yes tool anglers could simply just move on to other waters......and from a fishery management point of view that's fine,let them! But the real point is that for every idiot that wont attend and then not fish the water there will be plenty of others who do...and learn from it.

If the tools go and wreck other waters then surely all the other waters management has to do is adopt the same system? this surely is how ultimately it will improve the over all situation?

Personally although i rarely pike fish i would welcome a bit of tuition on how to unhook pike.

I know the theory and have a rough idea what i'm doing , but i wouldnt say i was proficient. Maybe i should go catch more pike and practise. But at present i prefer pike fishing with others that could show me here i'm going wrong in certain situations.

Instructions allways (IMO) a good thing but the question here TT is should it be compulsorey on some waters (ie the ones who want to have it)?

If some waters made it compulsory then so be it. If I wanted to fish those waters I'd do it. And I'd do it again the next time if that was what was required.

No skin off my nose.

It'd just never work anywhere else unfortunately. Over time more people would eventually get the tuition but the ones that fail or avoid fishing places that have it will carry on doing it 'the wrong way'.

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

I fish Bury Hill for preds and it's in there rules that you have to be experienced Pike anglers to fish there or pass one of there predator coarses. Dispite not being totally sure about there single hook rule, I think most of there rules make sense. Not sure how they decide who is experienced, but the first time I fished a guy wondered over to watch me unhook my first fish. Found out later he was a bailif and after that I noticed they ask customers questions and wonder around the fishery offering advice and offering assistance. So for me it can work on a fishery by fishery basis, I am very interested to know what PAC members think.

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek