Sleeping whilst fishing

Sportsman

Sleeping whilst fishing  

24 members have voted

1. 1. When night fishing is it OK to turn in and sleep whilst baits are in the water?

• Yes, the bite alarms will wake me up
    • No, I reel in when I want to sleep

You either sleeping or fishing, you can't do both, all these excuses about levels of sleep are just flim flam woffle. To say 'we have no alternative but to do this' is pathetic, of course you do, stay awake and fish or get your head down.

The excuses about mouth hooking bolt rigs dont cut it either, the fish hooked while the "angler" stacks Zs in the pit is still going to be towing the tackle around (and sometimes the rod), so anyone who does it has no business whatsoever lecturing others about fish welfare and proper handling.

Be under no illusions, in the last half century I have on several occasion found myself out at night on waters where those the dilusional lie abed with their rods cast out. Both as a bailiff and as an angler, for yes I have night fished for a whole range of species including carp. I have seen these heroes of the night, I have heard others shouting for them to wake up and look after their tackle, and twice I have reeled in for a flat out sleeper.

It happens and if that scenario is unfamilar to you, then perhap you are the ones who don't have as much experience as you like to crack on in here?

I don't really care that folk sleep while fishin' that is up to them, if the carp spend hours swimming around hooked and then die, then I can live with that too. Just don't try and justify it, just because it is a common practice does not make it a decent and proper one.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You either sleeping or fishing, you can't do both, all these excuses about levels of sleep are just flim flam woffle. To say 'we have no alternative but to do this' is pathetic, of course you do, stay awake and fish or get your head down.

The excuses about mouth hooking bolt rigs dont cut it either, the fish hooked while the "angler" stacks Zs in the pit is still going to be towing the tackle around (and sometimes the rod), so anyone who does it has no business whatsoever lecturing others about fish welfare and proper handling.

Be under no illusions, in the last half century I have on several occasion found myself out at night on waters where those the dilusional lie abed with their rods cast out. Both as a bailiff and as an angler, for yes I have night fished for a whole range of species including carp. I have seen these heroes of the night, I have heard others shouting for them to wake up and look after their tackle, and twice I have reeled in for a flat out sleeper.

It happens and if that scenario is unfamilar to you, then perhap you are the ones who don't have as much experience as you like to crack on in here?

I don't really care that folk sleep while fishin' that is up to them, if the carp spend hours swimming around hooked and then die, then I can live with that too. Just don't try and justify it, just because it is a common practice does not make it a decent and proper one.

Emma what you have to realise is that those are all simply your opinions. Do you not think that maybe some people are actually being honest. Just because you have experienced a certain type of night angler does not mean you can call others experiences 'flim flam waffle'. People know their own bodies better than you do and if they say they are sleeping lightly or dozing then how can you possibly say that that isnt the case???

Of course there are the people who dont care and will sleep through anything but I am willing to bet that the majority simply snooze and keep half an ear out for the alarms.

Despite what you 'think' it is actually completely possible. Not a fan of it myself but doesnt make it impossible.

Also just how long do you think it takes the average person on here to jump up and grab the rod. I can tell you quite honestly that I am up and at the rod in a matter of seconds so no fish is left trailing rigs for hours.

Edit: It is common knowledge that there are different levels of sleep.

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I've seen some appalling behaviour by some so-called anglers in the day-time - I therefore think it's impossible to be both awake and fishing at the same time :rolleyes:

Bad anglers are bad anglers, whatever time of day or night it is.

Emma, you have every right to your opinion, but it is only an opinion, and a pretty ignorant and inflammatory one at that. I have done a fair bit of this type of fishing, and I don't recognise any of the stuff you wrote. What you describe is bad angling, simple as that.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Pretty please? :)

(Gozzer, there's already 15 pages on that. Edit - 16!)

Sorry, I have to do some work occasionally ;)

Firstly the comments about carp fishermen have been made repeatedly on here, not necessarily by you, but then, I didn't say that they had.

As for fishing properly then I am sorry but I don't see setting a trap, going to sleep and hoping that an electrical device will wake you up when the trap is sprung as fishing IMO :)

We all go fishing for different reasons and have different motivations. We have had similar discussions before regarding the use of bait boats or carp rods to fish for roach. You say that the means justify the ends and that if that is what it takes to catch the desired fish there is no alternative. I say that I wouldn't want to catch that particular fish using those methods and would fish for something else, somewhere else. There is an alternative.

Finally you seem quite taken with the idea that those who are critical of the idea don't do it. Seems pretty logical to me, if they don't agree with it why would they?

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I really do think that we do not understand each others forms of fishing. I openly admit that I know nothing of fishing deep glacial lakes and would no doubt spend a lot of time chucking out dead baits in vain through out the winter. Can't cast a fly very well either but I do know that because you encounter some poor anglers fishing in a certain method, it does not mean that all anglers using that method and the method it self is poor.

There are good and bad anglers both day and night and because you have encountered some or maybe loads of bad ones does not mean that the concept of fishing/napping/sleeping what ever is bad. Many who do fish multi night sessions and do sleep, fish for valuable specimens and if there methods and behaviour was not up to a high standard they would soon be given there marching orders from the club or syndicate.

On the other hand there will be other people who will chuck a couple of quid at a farmer for the weekend and go and get mashed on drugs and drink and thats his idea of session fishing. That's "fishing" for them and unfortunatly when some one who does not do session's see's a bivey they tar the rest of us with the same brush.

Don't get the different sorts of anglers confused because we all live in a green tent.

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Sorry, I have to do some work occasionally ;)

Firstly the comments about carp fishermen have been made repeatedly on here, not necessarily by you, but then, I didn't say that they had.

As for fishing properly then I am sorry but I don't see setting a trap, going to sleep and hoping that an electrical device will wake you up when the trap is sprung as fishing IMO :)

We all go fishing for different reasons and have different motivations. We have had similar discussions before regarding the use of bait boats or carp rods to fish for roach. You say that the means justify the ends and that if that is what it takes to catch the desired fish there is no alternative. I say that I wouldn't want to catch that particular fish using those methods and would fish for something else, somewhere else. There is an alternative.

Finally you seem quite taken with the idea that those who are critical of the idea don't do it. Seems pretty logical to me, if they don't agree with it why would they?

I expect that's because you've never been in a situation where it's necessary, or been interested in that type of fishing.

So...if I can't catch a fish in a way that you think is appropriate, I should just not bother?

Or should I ask someone else?

Or make my own mind up?

Please don't forget, this type of fishing is not all I do. I change my waters, species and tactics throughout the year. What's appropriate for one is not appropriate for the others. It's called variety and I like it :)

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The thread was started by asking for an opinion on the subject, most have offered that. Why then if an opinion differs to yours, is it taken as criticism?

I've said often enough on here, that I believe if you are comfortable with a method, and it's legal, why worry what others think?

I don't think anyone has suggested a ban on sleeping whilst fishing, so why is there so much 'attitude' about others opinions?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Emma what you have to realise is that those are all simply your opinions. Do you not think that maybe some people are actually being honest. Just because you have experienced a certain type of night angler does not mean you can call others experiences 'flim flam waffle'. People know their own bodies better than you do and if they say they are sleeping lightly or dozing then how can you possibly say that that isnt the case???

Of course there are the people who dont care and will sleep through anything but I am willing to bet that the majority simply snooze and keep half an ear out for the alarms.

Despite what you 'think' it is actually completely possible. Not a fan of it myself but doesnt make it impossible.

Also just how long do you think it takes the average person on here to jump up and grab the rod. I can tell you quite honestly that I am up and at the rod in a matter of seconds so no fish is left trailing rigs for hours.

Edit: It is common knowledge that there are different levels of sleep.

When I found sentries with their eyes closed, who were breathing heavily and who failed to respond to the spoken word at ordinary takling volume then they were deemed to be asleep. On operations this meant 28 days detention, on excercise a bo llocking would usually be the outcome. In the early 80s I was part of military research into reaction and response times for service people who were 'crashed out' that is awoken from sleep and asked to perform a range of tasks, subject would be woken after different lengths of time asleep, ranging from minutes to hours and after different levels of prior sleep depravation (so covering your 'common knowedge' different stages of sleep), significantly the subjects of the research were young and fit people who untimately knew that they were being tested, yet over and over the 'I thought I was just napping' people were shown to be not as awake as they thought they were. Now when fishing that delusion may not be all that important, but we were looking at potential life and death situations. Those people may have thought they knew their own bodies too.

You started with "Emma what you have to realisis that those are all simply your opinions.e " wtll of course I know that, but equally the views of others are just their opinions as is the case in any discussion without outside evidence. so it ranges from patronising to stateing the obvious to type that.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

The thread was started by asking for an opinion on the subject, most have offered that. Why then if an opinion differs to yours, is it taken as criticism?

I've said often enough on here, that I believe if you are comfortable with a method, and it's legal, why worry what others think?

I don't think anyone has suggested a ban on sleeping whilst fishing, so why is there so much 'attitude' about others opinions?

John.

That's how it starts though John, then it ends up in LEGISLATION! :P

(That was a joke BTW :) )

Emma's military study has clinched it for me though, I am going to stop night fishing immediately in case Seargent Major Burke gives me a ****ing.

Can someone help me out though please, what is the proper way to fish for bream? Is it by not fishing for them? ;)

(This auto-censor is a bit dodgy, it's supposed to be b0llocking, now it just looks very dubious indeed. I assure you Seargent Major Burke is not a 'don't ask, don't tell' kind of chap.)

Edited by Anderoo