Sleeping whilst fishing

Sportsman

Sleeping whilst fishing  

24 members have voted

1. 1. When night fishing is it OK to turn in and sleep whilst baits are in the water?

• Yes, the bite alarms will wake me up
    • No, I reel in when I want to sleep

Also, can I ask if you answer 'no', to say whether you've ever tried it? I think that needs to be a consideration. There's no point guessing.

Longstanding members will remember that up to 2004 I used to wind my lines in about 11pm and set my alarm for dawn. I used to say that I didn't want to be woken at 2am, whatever the size of the fish.

One of the reasons was that I valued my sleep. The other was that, like some of the posters here, I was slightly uncomfortable with the sporting ethics of sleeping whilst fishing.

However since then I've actually tried fishing whilst sleeping.

And I've changed my mind!

In fact I now regularly fish through the night except in the winter. So what did change my mind?

Firstly, I found to my surprise I was significantly less tired by fishing whilst asleep. This is because I'd settle down when the bites tailed off. I'd then come to when the fish started their morning feeding spell, rather than always setting the alarm for dawn. Of course I did occasonally get woken by a fish. But by being organised I soon got into the routine of dealing with it, and it's now all automatic.

Secondly, I found that for the fish I was after there was no advantage in striking early. Indeed, for the big bream the opposite was true as the books said. And more importantly, not once have I lost or damaged a fish as a result.

However, like Anderoo, I believe it's horses for course. I too wouldn't fish for pike whilst asleep. Nor would I fish next to snags where it's essential to strike early.

If you haven't tried it I'd like to suggest you do so at least once. A perfect opportunity would be the Wingham Fish-In in May as there's plenty of gear to borrow plus volunteers to help you set it up and dismantle it.

You never know, like me you might change your mind.

As indeed have a number of guests whose first night fishing experience was at Wingham!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sleeping while fishing is not an issue as long as some thought is applied by the angler. and an unthinking crappy angler is just as much a danger to the fish whether awake or asleep :)

Exactly right Mat, I think you've summed it up perfectly!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The only problem I have fishing whilst sleeping (night time only) applies to both lines in and lines out. That is that someone of evil intent may come along and nick all the gear, as I am a very heavy sleeper <_<

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

How can you go fishing and then sleep?

Anyone coming next week? I am going sleeping!!

Sorry but it makes little sense to me. I have done a lot of night fishing in my younger days for eels on the Ribble and Wyre and not once was I tempted to sleep. I had after all gone fishing and not sleeping.

Jim

Edit

I tell a lie. I once went up to Cumbria to fish a night tide for Bass. On the way up I dug lugworm and on arrival at the beach decided to get an hours sleep as the tide was so far out. I woke up in the morning with the tide gone waaaaaay back out. :D

Edited by Jim_UK

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"

All,

Anymore that's why I go, for the nap. I don't fish at night but during the day this is my chain of events. Bait my hook, cast out, sit down in my chair, put my thumb and forefinger on the line, nod off a bit, then wrap the line around my finger and take a proper nap - and nap, and nap. If I use a second rod I sit on it.

I come home and tell my wife how tiring fishing was and - - - -

Phone

The term "sleeping" might be a little misleading for those who are not "bivey boys". There may well be those who completly go to bed for the night zipped up in a sleeping bag and go in to a long and deep sleep and these are the examples that some may well have came across with alarm sounding as a fish does circles of the lake while no one seems to be at home in the bivey.

However most power nap and doze off for a while and never really get quality sleep during a session and are oftem semi alert for most of the time. My sleeping bag is not zipped up and it's an easy roll of my bed and out to the rods. It's almost a Zombie half life state that you acquire after night fishing a lot :D . You develop a weird state that is enough to keep your body going but without proper sleep. If you fish the same water a lot, you also get to know it's moods and clock and you nap during those periods when you know it is likely to be quiet. On one Tench water I fish I never sleep between 2am to 3am as I expect a bite during that period. If I don't get one then I can probably grab an hour or two's sleep before dawn and a few hours during early afternoon after scaring the fish away while baiting up.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

How can you go fishing and then sleep?

If it is just a one night session many wont but if there is a plan of staying for a weekend it wouldnt make much sense to stay up for 48 hours. Especially if you had to drive back down the motorway. Certain circumstances require it.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

What larks, it's such great fun to try to impose our own fishing views on everyone else's style of fishing :thumbs: I love it :D

Would compulsory pike handling lessons, be construed as imposing our own fishing views on everyone else? :unsure:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

No, you're misrepresenting me. I didn't make that distinction between carp and other species, and you missed 'can be' off the beginning of that quote.

The alternative is not an alternative, and can you define 'properly' in that context please?

Pretty please? :)

(Gozzer, there's already 15 pages on that. Edit - 16!)

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Would compulsory pike handling lessons, be construed as imposing our own fishing views on everyone else? :unsure:

John.

John, that would be a big fat YES :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek