Sleeping whilst fishing

Sportsman

Sleeping whilst fishing  

24 members have voted

1. 1. When night fishing is it OK to turn in and sleep whilst baits are in the water?

• Yes, the bite alarms will wake me up
    • No, I reel in when I want to sleep

You either sleeping or fishing, you can't do both, all these excuses about levels of sleep are just flim flam woffle. To say 'we have no alternative but to do this' is pathetic, of course you do, stay awake and fish or get your head down.

The excuses about mouth hooking bolt rigs dont cut it either, the fish hooked while the "angler" stacks Zs in the pit is still going to be towing the tackle around (and sometimes the rod), so anyone who does it has no business whatsoever lecturing others about fish welfare and proper handling.

Be under no illusions, in the last half century I have on several occasion found myself out at night on waters where those the dilusional lie abed with their rods cast out. Both as a bailiff and as an angler, for yes I have night fished for a whole range of species including carp. I have seen these heroes of the night, I have heard others shouting for them to wake up and look after their tackle, and twice I have reeled in for a flat out sleeper.

It happens and if that scenario is unfamilar to you, then perhap you are the ones who don't have as much experience as you like to crack on in here?

I don't really care that folk sleep while fishin' that is up to them, if the carp spend hours swimming around hooked and then die, then I can live with that too. Just don't try and justify it, just because it is a common practice does not make it a decent and proper one.

Emma, many times in the past I've agreed with you. Not on this occasion though as I think you're drawing the wrong conclusions.

For instance, I've seen a lot of bad driving. This has included drunk driving, tailgating, the list is endless. I've also seen a lot of wildlife run over and killed or maimed. But I can and do justify driving, and you probably do so as well. I'm sure both of us though find no justification for the bad driving.

Likewise I've had shot from wildfowlers whistle over my head. Again, although I don't shoot myself, I can and do justify wildfowling, and you probably do so as well. Once again, I'm sure neither of us justifies the poor behaviour though.

On the other hand I do appreciate where you're coming from as. Like you, I've witnessed anglers not reacting to a bite alarm on a number of occasions. In several cases the empty bottles in a crate of beer outside the bivvy almost certainly explain the reason why. On other occasions the anglers concerned have been known to take drugs. On a couple of occasions the anglers simply couldn't be bothered to get off their bedchairs.

But this is no reason to ban fishing whilst asleep as some would advocate. But it is a reason to ban the irresponsible "anglers".

However, I can safely say that in the 18 years I've run Wingham these problems have never arisen. Not once. If they did the angler concerned would get an immediate ban. And I'm sure I'd have the full support of all the members, as several of them have said that getting away from such practices is one of the reasons they've joined Wingham in the first place.

The problem I'd suggest isn't sleeping whilst fishing. It's fishing irresponsibly whilst asleep.

And here I am 100% with you.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You started with "Emma what you have to realisis that those are all simply your opinions.e " wtll of course I know that, but equally the views of others are just their opinions as is the case in any discussion without outside evidence. so it ranges from patronising to stateing the obvious to type that.
The reason I typed that was not at all to be patronising it is just that often your posts seem to come across as stating your view as fact rather than opinion. You accuse anderoo of being elitist etc but then go on to convey many of the same kinds of belittleing sentiments yourself. See below:

You either sleeping or fishing, you can't do both

Of course you can. You sleep and if your rods are out then you are fishing

all these excuses about levels of sleep are just flim flam woffle

Why? Because your military anecdote says so?? I have never missed a run because I was dozing and many others will not have either.

To say 'we have no alternative but to do this' is pathetic, of course you do, stay awake and fish or get your head down.

It is not that people think there is not alternative. There is choice. People choose to do it and are happy with it. How can you deem this pathetic??

The excuses about mouth hooking bolt rigs dont cut it either, the fish hooked while the "angler" stacks Zs in the pit is still going to be towing the tackle around (and sometimes the rod), so anyone who does it has no business whatsoever lecturing others about fish welfare and proper handling.

Just complete rubbish. A condescening view and a generalisation of people who like to practice long session fishing.

Also your long post could have quite easily have been condensed to say in test we found that people were not as awake as they thought. The whole military side of things is not relevant at all. It is not a life or death situation. It is simple angling.

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

The problem I'd suggest isn't sleeping whilst fishing. It's fishing irresponsibly whilst asleep.

And here I am 100% with you.

This is the be all and end all of this thread.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I'm going to make it worse now.

Sometimes I drink wine* before sleeping, while fishing. What do you think of that?

*Good wine too, I have my elitist credentials to maintain :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

We need night fishing school and maybe you should not be able to buy a bivey and bed chair with out showing your stamped club card first ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh forgot to say I do try and have a couple of hours kip when fishing through the night and over a few days but only use semi-bolt rigs so as has already been said there's no danger of deephooking.

If I just fish a night then i'm awake at all times as that's what i've gone for, simply to night fish and usually that's via a chemical light on my float...no good sleeping or I wouldn't see the bleeder go under :).

Edited by Tigger

Ime afraid its not a simple yes or no for me.

I personaly wind in if I want to sleep but then I dont fish for carp on rock hard one run a month waters.

So as long as there are no snags present to endanger the fish, in certain circumstances I can see how I might.

In those cases it would purely be a means to an end and would not realy enjoy it a lot.

The few times when I have tried it for bream I find that once I am in my pit i'de rather not be disturbed by bloody fish anyway.

All,

A couple points.

First, how do you know who's gizzmo is setting up the racket at night?

Emma,

Second, how do you know the carp dies? I used to run 700 hook commercial long lines for rough fish. Sometimes carp would be hooked for 48 hours. Never brought in a dead one - EVER!. My license was 50 thousand tons a year.

Phone

When I found sentries with their eyes closed, who were breathing heavily and who failed to respond to the spoken word at ordinary takling volume then they were deemed to be asleep. On operations this meant 28 days detention, on excercise a bo llocking would usually be the outcome. In the early 80s I was part of military research into reaction and response times for service people who were 'crashed out' that is awoken from sleep and asked to perform a range of tasks, subject would be woken after different lengths of time asleep, ranging from minutes to hours and after different levels of prior sleep depravation (so covering your 'common knowedge' different stages of sleep), significantly the subjects of the research were young and fit people who untimately knew that they were being tested, yet over and over the 'I thought I was just napping' people were shown to be not as awake as they thought they were. Now when fishing that delusion may not be all that important, but we were looking at potential life and death situations. Those people may have thought they knew their own bodies too.

You started with "Emma what you have to realisis that those are all simply your opinions.e " wtll of course I know that, but equally the views of others are just their opinions as is the case in any discussion without outside evidence. so it ranges from patronising to stateing the obvious to type that.

I totally agree, also coming from a military background I have heard all the excuses “I was just resting my eyes” “I just dozed off” and there all ****s sleeping while fishing has no place in fishing as it doesn’t in the military.

I’ve seen soldiers on operations in the Middle East (that were not suffering from sleep deprivation), in live ambushes (that am sure thought they knew their own bodies) fall asleep so don’t come that nonsense, if your fishing you’re awake.

I,d likes to set them so called light sleepers a challenge!! let them set put and fish as normal into the night at some point in the night Ill approach them and see how close I can get before they wake !! Am sure I’d see the same startled look on their face I’ve seen a hundred times before followed by I wasn’t asleep lol