Sleeping whilst fishing

Sportsman

Sleeping whilst fishing  

24 members have voted

1. 1. When night fishing is it OK to turn in and sleep whilst baits are in the water?

• Yes, the bite alarms will wake me up
    • No, I reel in when I want to sleep

Second, how do you know the carp dies? I used to run 700 hook commercial long lines for rough fish. Sometimes carp would be hooked for 48 hours. Never brought in a dead one - EVER!. My license was 50 thousand tons a year.

Phone

Phone we had a discussion recently about double fishing 2 hooks, you should have shared your knowledge with us.

For a man with experince of 700 hooks, double rigs would be a doddle :D

Anyway 50 thousand tonnes, thats nothing. I could catch that in a day on one of our commercials :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I totally agree, also coming from a military background I have heard all the excuses “I was just resting my eyes” “I just dozed off” and there all ****s sleeping while fishing has no place in fishing as it doesn’t in the military.

I’ve seen soldiers on operations in the Middle East (that were not suffering from sleep deprivation), in live ambushes (that am sure thought they knew their own bodies) fall asleep so don’t come that nonsense, if your fishing you’re awake.

I,d likes to set them so called light sleepers a challenge!! let them set put and fish as normal into the night at some point in the night Ill approach them and see how close I can get before they wake !! Am sure I’d see the same startled look on their face I’ve seen a hundred times before followed by I wasn’t asleep lol

So how much night fishing/sleeping have you done Danny?

What has the military or creeping up to some poor sleeping sod have to do with it? A very strange post!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

All,

A couple points.

First, how do you know who's gizzmo is setting up the racket at night?

Emma,

Second, how do you know the carp dies? I used to run 700 hook commercial long lines for rough fish. Sometimes carp would be hooked for 48 hours. Never brought in a dead one - EVER!. My license was 50 thousand tons a year.

Phone

sometimes carp would be caught ! how many times is sometimes and you never brought in a dead one mmmmm

What has the military or creeping up to some poor sleeping sod have to do with it? A very strange post!

Well read it! If people think they can be still fully aware of their surrounding after a snooze or light sleep I don’t care who you are your talking ****.

Would you like to be the first one to prove me wrong (am sure you would) give me a shout next time you’re going night fishing and we’ll see how alert you are in your light sleep!

It is a statement explaining to all thoughts who think they can sleep lightly while fishing may not be so fully aware of their surrounding as they might like to think

I remember some on here holding very strong views on hunting and shooting without having participated in either.

Apparently you don't have to do something to have an opinion on it.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

danny,

I agree, Well read it. Sometimes carp would be hooked for 48 hours (before the lines were run again). The only time no carp were caught was when no fish were caught - which was NEVER. Maybe the confusion is with my use of the word "rough fish" on an English forum (my bad). Rough fish are mostly carp (maybe 70 - 85%). There is no "standard" for the words rough fish really. The ones called rough fish I can think of off the top of my head, (in about the order they are caught on long lines) are: carp, buffalo, bullhead catfish, suckers (all), drum, gar, bowfin, eel. Other species of catfish and "game fish" were returned. Fish called "Game fish" equally does not have a standard and the term is different over here also.

Phone

Edit: It's been a number of years since I worked in the industry. The commercial fishermen tell me now days it is not uncommon to catch both "Bighead Carp" and "Silver Carp". Both reasonably recent invasive species.

Edited by Phone

Hi

For the past three years from September to the end of February I have targeted Zander on the Fens and Roswell pits. I night fish nearly every Friday night, plus a few midweek nights when possible. I sleep/doze while I am fishing, I even get into a sleeping bag when it is cold and I can honestly say that I have never had a Zander deep hooked.

I only every fish swims that allow me to be set up tight to my rods. I set my rigs so that they are as sensitive as possible and I will investigate every single bleep of the alarms. The volume on my alarms are set low, but I have never not heard my alarms go off. I strike as soon as I possibly can, I dont wait for the line to peel off the reel like some anglers do.

I wake up with the slightest noise, yet I know a competent Carp angler that needs to be kicked to wake him, yet when his alarm goes he is out of his pit like greyhound.

We are all different in how we sleep/doze and I would like to think that any decent angler will not fish / sleep at night if he cannot get to his rods in seconds.

Darrell

The reason I typed that was not at all to be patronising it is just that often your posts seem to come across as stating your view as fact rather than opinion. You accuse anderoo of being elitist etc but then go on to convey many of the same kinds of belittleing sentiments yourself. See below:

Also your long post could have quite easily have been condensed to say in test we found that people were not as awake as they thought. The whole military side of things is not relevant at all. It is not a life or death situation. It is simple angling.

you said..

It is not that people think there is no alternative. There is choice. People choose to do it and are happy with it. How can you deem this pathetic??

Its not the doing it which is pathetic, its the schoolboy grade excuses for doing it which are pathetic. to a fellow who says 'I fish while sleeping, and accept what might happen, who cares'? I have much less quarrel with than those who throw up smokescreens, for he is being honest.

Anderloo said...

Staying awake all that time is simply not an option

and you said

circumstances require it.

Someone else in here said , it is needed to catch certain fish (or words to that effect)

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Well read it! If people think they can be still fully aware of their surrounding after a snooze or light sleep I don’t care who you are your talking ****.

Would you like to be the first one to prove me wrong (am sure you would) give me a shout next time you’re going night fishing and we’ll see how alert you are in your light sleep!

It is a statement explaining to all thoughts who think they can sleep lightly while fishing may not be so fully aware of their surrounding as they might like to think

Your not sneakin up on the enemy :rolleyes: all your doing is going fishing and when the alarm sets off you just get up as fast as poss and pick up your rod ....Simples :lol: :lol:

Yes of course you could creep up to me while I'm asleep and scare the crap out of me! I'm not disputing that! As long as the bite alarm wakes me and I get to the rod sharpish - which it does and I do - why is it relevant?

Sportsman, in that old topic you may recall I actually felt more empathy with people who shoot than a lot of angling, even though I've never done it myself. In this case people are saying you can't or shouldn't fish and sleep at the same time in any circumstances, whereas anyone who has done it knows it's simply not true.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music