bad times

maxaldo

I was fishing my small local the other day, had a few decent quality tench but the weather decided to go back to its old British ways and so i deceided to have that one last cast then head for home. Sods law i hooked into what must have been the biggest fish i had that day, perhaps even one of the largest in the waters. It stormed off under the tree's and snapped my hook link clean off, to say i was gutted like a fish would be an understatement. Has anyone else suffered the same circumstances?

I am reeling from that situation now and sat at home wondering what exactly it was and how big? I can't wait to get back up there but the weathers being a right arse :angry:

Same thing as me on Saturday. The carp were feeding of the surface and I had already landed a lovely 13lb mirror with a floating dog biscuit freelined. When I hooked another using the same method 10 minutes later in the margins I got very excited, especially as the massive burst of spped and power made me think "Wow, this must be a biggy!"

Snap!

8lb Mainline and 6lb hooklength, he took my hooklength of into the rushes with him.

I tied on another 6lb hooklength, blaming the fact that my line had been weakened already by the 13lb. I was doubting my chances of getting him again as he must be spooked by the biscuits now. I was wrong, this carp was hungry!

He took my biscuit and steamed off for the reeds again.

Snap!

I've learnt my lesson. Out comes the stalker rod, 15lb mainline, 12lb hooklength...its the strongest I have with me.

I really did think that there was no way this carp, hungry or not, was gonna grab a biscuit again but I gave it a try. I had to be extra patient but after about 20 minutes I could see and hear the reeds in front of me bashing about. He suddenly came out and grabbed the biscuit.

I managed to yank him out of the reeds and landed him after a couple of minutes.

He was only 9lb!

I'll always remember the ghost carp I hooked under a tree while stalking earlier this year. He snapped me off after a few seconds and I still dream about it.

Have faith mate, go and look for him and throw him a worm!

I hope my brother doesnt see this thread as he lost a real lump on Saturday evening!

Ive never (knowingly) lost a real big fish but I was so gutted when Andrew lost his I can imagine how bad it must be.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I hope my brother doesnt see this thread as he lost a real lump on Saturday evening!

Ive never (knowingly) lost a real big fish but I was so gutted when Andrew lost his I can imagine how bad it must be.

Keep fishing mate, it'll happen at some point lol, and it is annoying. I suppose thats the enticing element of fishing though. It wouldn't be the sport it is if it was to always go the anglers way

I once pulled my boat in on Windermere so the dog could go for a pee and as he disappeared in the woods for a while I idly (and stupidly) cast a plug over the wide marginal shelf from the back of the boat. I promptly hooked by far the biggest pike I've ever had on in there. Playing a fish in deep water over the edge of a rocky shelf only has two possible results and I got the bad one. I do hope someone else hooked the same fish and got the plug out of it.

At least in that situation if I'd been quicker jumping from the boat and wading out I'd have had a chance. Several times I've hooked salmon in the Ribble on light float gear and it's just a no win situation. Sod's law dictates that I only hook them when it's bank high, so they swim past a tree and it's goodbye from them. For a mainly coarse fisherman, it's awe inspiring to have a fish swim upstream, midriver, against that current!

I once pulled my boat in on Windermere so the dog could go for a pee and as he disappeared in the woods for a while I idly (and stupidly) cast a plug over the wide marginal shelf from the back of the boat. I promptly hooked by far the biggest pike I've ever had on in there. Playing a fish in deep water over the edge of a rocky shelf only has two possible results and I got the bad one. I do hope someone else hooked the same fish and got the plug out of it.

At least in that situation if I'd been quicker jumping from the boat and wading out I'd have had a chance. Several times I've hooked salmon in the Ribble on light float gear and it's just a no win situation. Sod's law dictates that I only hook them when it's bank high, so they swim past a tree and it's goodbye from them. For a mainly coarse fisherman, it's awe inspiring to have a fish swim upstream, midriver, against that current!

Bloody hell, i wondered who's plug that was, i'll send it to you in the post bud o.j lol, i'm pretty sure the hooks would have disolved by the time the pike was ever caught again.iv'e never caught on a plug or lure but i wudn't mind betting that its a pretty decent way to fish

... i'm pretty sure the hooks would have disolved by the time the pike was ever caught again...

Unfortunately not. Deep hooked trebles might corrode away in stomach acid, but a mouth hooked plug isn't going anywhere. Hopefully it could still open it's mouth, in which case it would be caught pretty quickly on such a heavily fished water (especially in that particular location!) Luckily I'd replaced the hooks, so they weren't the monstrous originals!

on a local lake near me its rare to see a twenty pound carp come out and even more so for a 30 to come out but i hooked one of the 30's last year on a pop up on the surface 12lb mainline i had and size 6 hook and 15 lb braid so the chances looked good of me catching it right? wrong. it steamed of into the lillies almost 40 yards away and snapped me of in the lillies i reeled in checked my clutch and i could barely pull it out myself so this fish had some immense power! but i do see it quite often its just getting it to take the bait its very spooky

dont be too dissapointed when you dont catch a fish after its not called catching its called fishing! :D