too much pressure

zedhead

just a passing comment on how the modern surge in popularity of pike and predator anglers is in my view a bad thing. I feel that there are too many pike anglers at the moment and this is effecting the quality of the sport as well as spoiling it for people that have ben pike anglers for years. Up until the last three seasons, a freind and i had some super spots all to our selves and never had the misfortune of seeing other pikers. Now with the pike season around the corner i know its a case of having to abandon some favorite places to avoid the piking masses. The other point is that the more pike anglers there are, the more pike will be killed by idiots who cant return fish unharmed such as carpmen that convert to pike in winter when their target species becomes hard to catch. May be this a bit generalist but i have met several 'noddys' who have led me to fear for the pikes welfare and also the wellbeing of my sport. :(:(

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trouble is though that everyone has to start somewhere and sometime.

Ask yourself the question....'just how good was I when I first started piking' if we're all truthful I guess the answer will be not very good at all, so don't be in a hurry to criticise but offer assistance and advice as appropriate.

I have a different take on the number of anglers piking as I believe that the more pikers we have the more likely the old bad habits of pike culls and fish up the bank will stop.

If youre worried about the number of anglers piking and spoiling your fishing then dont tell anybody where you go and lie about your catch's or alternativly fish the more remote spots where you never see another angler

i take your point brian, but i still feel there are too many pike anglers out there and the rise of a bigger piker population doesnt mean less pike culls, its all about educating people not how many more people that are sympathetic to pike. there will be the same proportion of uneducated pike anglers in the pike angling population as there was 10 years ago, just that other types of anglers have been educated by individuals or the likes of the pac.

As for folk spoiling my fishing then i never tell anyone about my spots and were not in alaska so its hard to find those piking wildernesses these days owing to the fact that there are more pikers fishing.

why don't you stop piking then zed? or do you have more of a right to fish for pike than these pesky newcomers?

as for reading pike and predators, i'd rather stick needles in my eyes! seldom has such terrible writing been published. i can't believe that people pay to read that rubbish. mind you, one look at their forum will give you a clue as to their target audience. more rods than braincells.

jeepster,

i have no right abouve the next man and youve missed my point, my sport is being spolit by there being too many anglers now, that were not there 3 years ago. if i am not allowed to make this point without offending the likes of you then [edited by John S]!

as for p+p, its my must buy mag, some gerat articles. and if i came from notts jeepster, i wouldnt be making remarks aboy brain cells!

[ 10. September 2005, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: John S ]

zedhead:

.... if only there where commercial pike fisheries, i could have my spots back.

"Your" spots ?!?!?

And it isn't only newcomers to piking that have some funny ideas. Today I fished (for pike) a lake I always thought was purely syndicate. Turns out they allow 2 day-tickets per day, so I went down there.

A syndicate bloke came for a chat - turned out he was a piker - and I asked his advice. He said that if I caught a jack of 4 or 5lbs or so I should kill it and use jack halves for deadbait. "It's a great bait and helps keep down the jack population", sez he.

Well - dunno how I'd manage to cast a 2lb jack 'section', and I dunno how killing jacks will help the balance of the lake.

Maybe he was p#ssed off that I was in "his" spot?

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.