too much pressure

zedhead

This don't sound like the forum I've just got used to

How anyone can say there's too many anglers of any persuasion is beyond me. It's a very selfish attitude to want to keep everything worthwhile to yourself.

As Peter says "anyone with a license has a right to go Pike fishing", and we've all had to start somewhere.

The only way I see to maintain exclusivity is to buy into a syndicate, and how many of us could afford that! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler. Izaac Walton

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tommo666:

By the way Zed, my 8 year old son is a regular reader of this forum. Not sure if I'm happy you telling people to [edited by John S]

agreed where are the mods?

[Edited to remove a comment in the quote. John S :) ]

[ 10. September 2005, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: John S ]

tommo666:

By the way Zed, my 8 year old son is a regular reader of this forum. Not sure if I'm happy you telling people to [edited by John S]

Yet you've gone and said it again??? Hmmm....

Perhaps you could have mentioned it in a pm instead.

[Edited to remove a comment in the quote. John S :) ]

[ 10. September 2005, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: John S ]

Dan

This has degenatated, as just about any topic containing the word 'pike' tends to do! Okay, so I exaggerate, just a little!

But it is a very real problem, without an answer.

Like Zedhead my piking has deteriorated, no good denying it. Partly my fault, but it is also the fault of other folk who have promoted pike fishing as a means of upping their incomes. Messrs Hayes & Wilson, for example, have highlighted pike fishing ad nauseum. Some fisheries are being fished 24/7 as one angler leaves a swim and another takes his place.

Yes, I do resent the intrusion of incomers when 'my' results have plummetted, I'm only human, just as is Zedhead.

Okay, so some of you don't like his style of arguement, but the truth is that it is a valid opinion. I wish that he had an answer to the problem, and it is a problem, and one that will only get worse.

The only answer is to artificially maintain pike fisheries, but pike aren't carp.

I have to say that I don't see the above, or Zedheads comments as selfish, just quite simply a comment on the problems caused by over popularity of the poor old pike.

[ 10. September 2005, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

At the risk of perpetuating a thread that as Jeepster says is rapidly degenerating, I'd like to add a couple of thoughts.

So, if Zed turned up and found me fishing in one of his favourite hotspots, I'd be resented. Well tough sh$t, it's happened to all of us. The answer is to either get up earlier or go somewhere else, which is what I've had to do on more than one occasion.

I don't see anyone has a God given right just because they've fished a particular spot for years.

As to the wider issue of mistreatment of Pike by novices, I can see that that is a particular problem for that species, and as has been said before the answer is education which hopefully is coming in part from the TV fishing progs, and from forums like this.

jason.p:

I don't see anyone has a God given right just because they've fished a particular spot for years.

Exactly right.

jason.p:

As to the wider issue of mistreatment of Pike by novices, I can see that that is a particular problem for that species, and as has been said before the answer is education which hopefully is coming in part from the TV fishing progs....

Unfortunately much of the piking you see on TV is straight out of the old-style approach - Paul Young waiting for the fish to make its "second run" / his mate jamming a jack's mouth open with a gag and saying that every pike angler "must carry one of these" / sitting 30 yards from the buzzers / fish plonked in the grass for unhooking by JW / JW hooking a pike and only then wondering how he can get down to the water to land it ... the list goes on and on and on. Most TV piking is exactly the wrong kind of "education", as far as I can see.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

I haven't had the misfortune to see Paul Young using or recommending a gag. It seems TV presenters need to be "re-educated" themselves as I'm sure this would be a powerful education means for this sort of problem.

Trouble is, how do we influence the likes of JW, Matt Hayes etc. Pity they don't read these forums :(

I thought Paul Young was a popular singer?

Didnt know he was into Pike Fishing.

Right then if we need educating let us start here.

Someone gonna start or would Zed like to lead the way with a detailed description of what you would do with a deep hooked pike.

know the situation shouldnt arise but if it does then how is the best way to do it to avoid harm and stress to the fish.

Caught a lovely 8lber on a lure the other day from a spot where I was the only angler, where was everyone else?