What would you like of an angling weekly?

Peter Waller

Its some years since I bought either of the two principal weeklies.

I do occasionally look at one though, say at a friends house, or in the local clubhouse.

Can't see any reason to start buying them again.

My main gripe is the lack of "character" in the writing.

In the past, writers like Dick Walker, Fred Taylor, Tag Barnes, T K Wilson ("Trout by all Means") and Hugh Stoker were worth reading every week. Both entertaining and instructive.

These writers have not been replaced - or rather they have been replaced, but by so-called "celebrities" with this cult of the individual use-my-sponsors-tackle style. Frankly, they just bore me.

Peter mentions Keith Arthur - well the best of a poor bunch IMHO.

I used to buy AM just to read Frank "Boris" Barlow's column. I don't fish matches, but Frank's humour was priceless.

Nothing approaching that is on offer now.

One real irritation in angling newspapers is their patronising attitude to working men who have caught a decent fish.

This sort of rubbish :- "Carpenter Joe Bloggins Nails Thames Bream" "Gravedigger Peter Grimes Buries the opposition at the Witham Championships" - pages of it

Never "Company Director Snoggins shows Kennet Chub who is Boss" Oh no - they are all respectful then.

Its a good job we have AN :D

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems we all want the same three things then ie honesty,integrity and entertaining content..... as much chance of getting those from the weekly angling press as from the Sunday Sport!

And why? because it dont make no money!

[ 29. March 2005, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

What would you like of an angling weekly?

I pray that no one delivers a Peter Waller edited or inspired angling paper through my letter box. But seeing as they probably burn effigy's of said gentleman in hunt stables across the rural landscape I doubt that such a publication would make it across the CA barbed wire urban/rural borders anyway.

Regards,

Lee.

Hey Budgie, you lay off the Sunday Sport..bloody good read. serious newspaper that :D

[ 30. March 2005, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Dear Peter,

................................................................................

.................................................................................

................... ................................................................................

.................................................................................

................... ................................................................................

.......................................Is it that time already?

Regards,

Lee.

Having re-read this thread, I have an idea....

Why don't they have a free cover price and make it funded through their sponsors, the tackle trade? Whilst they're at it, they could have it distributed through the local tackle shops - and pay them for doing so.

Nice in theory - beware low flying pigs.

We'd still be paying for it but through a different route - and at least it legitimises their current practice.

[ 30. March 2005, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: Alan Stubbs ]

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine