"mill ends?"

maxaldo

I need a new leader and was chatting to an old chap who said i'd do o.k to get a "mill end", i dont know eactly what this means but he said u can pick them up for under 8 quid from certain places and they're just as good as many others out there. What exacly are these "mill ends"and where can i get one?

Best way of describing them is lines that don't make the quality control of certain manufacturers who maintain certain standards ie, no bumps or bobbles in the line itself

They're not bad buys either as the defects are'nt that bad that you would stop using it or noticably reduce your casting distance

I need a new leader and was chatting to an old chap who said i'd do o.k to get a "mill end", i dont know eactly what this means but he said u can pick them up for under 8 quid from certain places and they're just as good as many others out there. What exacly are these "mill ends"and where can i get one?

the expression mill end covers a multitude of sins against fly fishing ;)

The term in its simplist form means the end of a run when making a fly line may be it will be a bit shorter than the standard length that that the company sells or the colour isnt as consistant or the taper isnt just right, I would stay away from Mill ends as you can buy a fairly decent line off Ebay cheaply enough. Nothing is more important in fly fishing than a decent line so in my humble oppinion. skrimp on the reel rather than the line. if you must get one only buy sinkers and intermediates.

I think you will find that I am in a minority with this opinion though mate :thumbs:

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

What's a mill end leader though? Mill end lines are one thing, but I've never heard of mill end leaders.

a leader made of knackered line.......?

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

a leader made of knackered line.......?

:D:lol:

I think youve hit the nail on the head

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!