Ever been over confident in your bait catching ability?

Dales

What sort of muppet going out pike fishing with out enough bait, Me :D

Only had a shortish session planed to day and got to the river at around 10.30 and planned to until around 4.30. I always bring far to much dead baits with me and end up bringing most home with me, so today I decided to bring enough to get me started while I caught some lives.

So for no good reason I only took with me 2 Roach, 1 Sardine and single eel section. What was the point in bringing more as I always get plenty of Gudgeon on maggots :rolleyes: The crazy thing is the freezer is full of bait, I can't believe how stupid I was but I was so over confident that I would catch bait and I hate messing about when I get home unpacking the dead baits from the cooler box, re- wrapping etc

So as soon as I arrived I set up two ledger rods and fished popped up sprat on one and a dead Roach on the other and then settled down to catch some lives and fresh deads but the small fish had other ideas and I struggled. Then I had a run on the Sardine but the Pike threw the hooks. So bait number 1 was gone. So recast with my other Roach bait number 2 and it came off :o

About an hour and a half had passed and no bait caught yet, I had one rod fishing a Roach on the bottom and only 1 section of eel left and and am starting to get the feeling it will not be my day. So cut the eel down the middle just in case I dont' catch any bait and recast.

Then I finally get a bite on the bait rod :clap2: Start reeling it in and all of a sudden it gets heavy and I have a Pike and using my great angling skills, I land it on a size 16 to 3lb line :D . This gave me a weird feeling, I was pleased to catch the Pike but just wish my bait had lasted longer, in the bottom of my landing net was bits of a Dace but it was now just mush and could not be recycled as a dead bait but the Pike was over 7lb.

I carried on struggling with bait, all I could catch was micro minnows or decent sized Perch :rolleyes: Then I had a run on the Roach rod and another hard fighting Pike just over 7lb again but not as much fun as the first one but now I was down to my skanky bit of eel that I had cut down the middle. I carried on fishing the eel halfs for a few hours with no further runs and so reeled in and decided to go for a wander and do some lure fishing. This produced another 7lb Pike.

I ended up chucking the eel halfs out again for sunset and fished a maggot feeder which produced more nice but not really bait sized Perch. Oh well an odd day but I had a few fish and saw a kingfisher. Not a bad day but I feel rather stupid not bringing enough bait with me but kind of pleased with the hat-trick of 7lbs Pike.

1. One on maggot/accidental live bait

2. One on a dead bait

3. One on a lure

But I learned a very valuable lesson, always leave home with enough bait :D

Some of those Perch had a close call, they came with in a whisker of being cut bait :D but they where to big for the local rules on taking baits.

EDIT:I think I need to go to bait catching class.

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great story Dales :D

If there’s one thing I’ve learnt from predator fishing with Steve it’s that when you defrost a load of deadbaits for a day session the livebaits will literally jump into your net. If you go with no deadbaits every silver in the Thames gets beamed up to Scotty and deposited elsewhere.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Sounds like a good session, maybe better than if you'd just fished fish baits. Do you think a teach-in would have helped you unhook those toothy critters ? :uhuh:

Edited by Tigger

That's it, twist the knife John :lol:

That session was a defining moment in my fishing career. I realised then how much I had to learn.

Those butties were the best I ever tasted too :D

Back on topic, yes. Many times! I can't be bothered taking all that gear now, so it's mainly lures and occasionally DB's.

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

I had to laugh at this, it's happened to me plenty of times :D You go out all excited looking forward to fishing for pike, zander or big perch, and you spend all day desperately trying to catch 4oz roach.

This is why many pikers have a tank in the back garden...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

You need one of these left in the car running off a seperate battery.

http://www.obrienscamping.co.uk/portable/waeco_cdf-11.htm

and then you can take plenty with you and put back into your large freezer at home what you don't use.

Not that I could afford such a thing.

John

Hi Dales

I will have to give you a teach in.

Do you remember the one time we fished together on the fens and I had to catch you the baits then. :D:D

John

SSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, no need to tell every one, I was hoping that every one would think this was the only time I have struggled catching silvers :D Yes I would have struggled for fresh bait that week end if you had not caught so much, not that it helped me catch any predators as I blanked big time.

I could certainly do with a Fish In on maggot bashing, I could learn alot.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek