Day ticket

melpen

Mel,the River Medway running through the town down to Allington Lock is free fishing,just a rod licence being required.The stretch just above the bridge by the Law Courts/Lock Meadow is renowned for the quality of its winter roach fishing.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

If you are looking for a confidence booster, Horsham Lakes in Upchurch is historically 'a bite-a-chuck' roach / skimmer / F1 water ideal for float / ledger / method.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Thank you all for your kind words & support.

I`m going fishing next weekend, not made up my mind where yet, may go to BAX farm, do you have any more info.

If you can lie on the floor without holding on, then you’re not drunk.

I Can Only Please One Person A Day, Today Isn't Your Day, Tomorrow Isn't Looking Good Either.

http://www.unitytackle.co.uk/bax.htm

This is the web address for Bax Farm.

Good Luck.

Richard

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

melpen

As well as the Maidstone stretch of the river Medway you have a couple of others too, East Farleigh and Yalding can both be good places to fish and are free.

Lake wise you have a number of good lakes around the Maidstone/Medway area that you can fish on a day ticket.

Mote park & Horsham lakes have already been mentioned.

Mote park has bream to double figures, roach to 3lb plus as well as perch 4lb plus, tench, pike, carp all of good sizes.

Horsham as Alan has said is a bite a chuck with carp avg 3-5lbs but there are a few larger lumps in there to a reported 20lb plus. just about anthing works here and is a great place to get used to fighting carp and to get kids into fishing as they don't have time to get bored.

Just outside Maidstone you have the new Monk lake complex and there have been some good reports comming out from there. A few friends of mine say it is a great place to fish so could be worth you looking it up.

If you can travel (have a car) then try Lavender Farm just on the Thanet way. This is 2 lakes (1match & 1 pleasure) and the pleasure lake is also a great place for multi catches but its not as easy as Horsham. Again most methods will work here.

Sams Lakes near Headcorn is another good lake for you to try. Off the A229 towards Hastings it has two lakes. The first lake by the car park being the old lake and houses a good mix of fish including now F1's, carp to double figures, plus roach, bream etc.

The secound lake has a good head of double figure carp to 20lb plus.

Hope this helps some and I'll sort a few more out for you when I get the time

PETE.

Fishing in Kent and the south east. With a new look for 2003.

http://www.angelfire.com/pw/thetangler

Many thanx,

I used to fish mote park back in the 70`s wasn`t much good then, but mabe worth a visit now.

I think this forum is great, only found it by accident!

Mel.

I Can Only Please One Person A Day, Today Isn't Your Day, Tomorrow Isn't Looking Good Either.

Melpen

Mote Park is a great water but it can be a bit all or nothing. The fish here tend to be roamers and If you find the fish then a goood day is on the cards but if they are not in front of you you wont catch them.

Tell us exactly what type of water you would like (size species tactics you like to adopt, distance from Maidstone etc)and I am sure we can sugest some more.

Great thanx,

I prefere lakes at the moment,easier to get setup, as far as tactics are concerned its a case of finding the nearest angler & asking him!(or her).

My fishing licence isn`t a year old yet! loads to learn.

just walked into local tackle shop & bought loads of gear & off i went.

Have read scores of books all of them contradict each other. Watch all the fishing progs on sky.

i don`t mind what i catch, trouble is at the moment i don`t know what species i am catching. Is there a chart on the web somewhere i can download?

Distance from Maidstone is not an issue (not France though)

Melpen

Here are a few more mixed fisheries where yo can get some bites from small fish as well as a good chance of some better fish.

Cackle Hill - Three small lakes on a274 just south of Headcorn. Easy to fish with just a wagler or small feeder, lots of Skimmers and Roach plus a good number of Tench, Chub, Carp, Bream and even a few Catfish. The bottom one is the smallest but has produced lots of small fish even when we have fished through the Ice. Its only 5ft deep and a small wagler will catch everything from the small silvers to Tench and Carp. It is also usually out of the wind which could be a big bonus at the moment.

Frant Lakes near Tunbridge Wells.

A series of man-made lakes with depths varying from 3 to 20ft. Almost every type of fish is in there and you can make catches of small fish in the knowledge that better fish will put in an apearance at some time. It has a website if you do a quick search. For a beginer the best bet would be the Sunken Island, Horseshoe or Waterfal lakes. The car park lake is the deepest and it's causeway can produce good Perch to a Lobworm fished a rod or two out. There is always someone on site so information should be available when there.

Barden Park Tonbridge

If you fancy feeder fishing for Tench and Bream this is a good bet. There are lots of both and a good catch is always possible. Fish can be caught on any method but the feeder, usuallly in conjuction with bigger baits like corn worm or bread are best bet for a larger fish. The venue is controlled by Tonbridge and District Angling and Fish Preservation Society. Day tickets on the bank, See their web site for location .

All these waters produce mixed bags of fish where you can get consistent sport from small fish but with better ones mixed in.

If you try any of these and want some more specific advice just post.

Matt