Just wanted to share...

jaypeegolf

I just wanted to share with you all one of the most productive 2 hours I think I've ever had on the river bank!

Saturday afternoon left me with a couple of hours spare, in between child minding duties, so I crept off to my local river, the Blythe, in Solihull.

It's a small river, resembling not much more that a stream in most places, but it always throws up a fish or two regardless.

I bought half a pint of red maggots, which for the Blythe, is quite an extravagance!, as usually I pop out with nothing more that a couple of slices of bread, and headed down.

I was armed with just my float rod and usually a static bait is the method of choice here so I wasn't sure what the results would be.

Anyway to cut out any more rambling, after almost 2 hours I'd caught just under 25lb of fish from the two swims by trotting a float with 2 red maggots.

Almost all were chub but also included were a few small perch and a roach.

7 chub were between 2lb 14oz and 3lb 2oz which appears to be the biggest they go to in this stretch of the Blythe and given how 'intimate' the river is, tremendous sport.

I'd never really tried maggots at the Blythe before and expecting to be inundated with 'small stuff', was surprised at how successful they were over my usual bread approach.

Can't wait to try it again soon.

Delighted of Solihull!

JP

I just wanted to share with you all one of the most productive 2 hours I think I've ever had on the river bank!

Saturday afternoon left me with a couple of hours spare, in between child minding duties, so I crept off to my local river, the Blythe, in Solihull.

It's a small river, resembling not much more that a stream in most places, but it always throws up a fish or two regardless.

I bought half a pint of red maggots, which for the Blythe, is quite an extravagance!, as usually I pop out with nothing more that a couple of slices of bread, and headed down.

I was armed with just my float rod and usually a static bait is the method of choice here so I wasn't sure what the results would be.

Anyway to cut out any more rambling, after almost 2 hours I'd caught just under 25lb of fish from the two swims by trotting a float with 2 red maggots.

7 chub were between 2lb 14oz and 3lb 2oz which appears to be the biggest they go to in this stretch of the Blythe and given how 'intimate' the river is, tremendous sport.

I'd never really tried maggots at the Blythe before and expecting to be inundated with 'small stuff', was surprised at how successful they were over my usual bread approach.

Delighted of Solihull!

JP

Lovely, and good for you, sometimes everything goes so well like that, even when trying out something new.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Great stuff JP.I looked at my local small river at first light this morning but it looked so "dead" I thought better of it! Strangely though for the chub (similar size to yours) I also find red maggots work better than my normal flake and mash chub tactics.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Thats a great session.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Delighted of Solihull!

JP

JP

Fished the Blythe a couple of times maybe 2 years ago. Around coleshill. Had a good go with float and tip but didn't even get a bite. Tried maggots bread everything possible. Later found out it was very low on fish. The guy who I spoke to who lived next to the river didn't even fish it anymore. Maybe its better up your way. I was hoping it was going to be my little bit of favourite river, close to home and work. It was a day ticket as well. I was gutted when I failed miserably. Well done

Regards

Rob

Hi Rob,

'My stretch' of the Blythe has always produced at least couple of 'decent' chub for me, even in the depths of last winters snow.

It's close enough so that I can pop down for an hour after work for a quick fix and get back home before anyone's noticed I'm not home!!

I fish other rivers, the Warks Avon, the Arrow, the Kennet too, but in all honestly, they do not produce the consistency of fish that I can find on the Blythe.

Sure, there's no barbel (but I have heard rumours that they are further downstream near Coleshill, but from your reply this may just be heresay?) but I always enjoy catching chub.

The perch I've had have gone to about a pound and recently I've caught some beautiful roach to almost a pound, there's also the odd trout!

At times it seems daft to travel further afeild when this little gem is so close to home.

Very few anglers appear to bother with it, all blindly fishing the nearby commecial water.

If you drop me a PM I'll happily tell you more!!

JP

having fished the blythe by the west mids golf course ,my mate nigel runs the fishing there ,mostly fished matches on the big lake .i've fished the river after a match often ,its a nice little river and getting on for 25lbs is good going for two hour work ,well done ,its great days like that ,that make the wet fishless days almost bearable

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve