looking for a venue for a newbie around west london

casts_by_fly

Hi Guys (and I presume gals),

My wife and I moved here a year ago from the states. I've fished since I was 4 but she has recently started flyfishing since she met me. We realized a couple weeks ago that she has only every been fly fishing, not 'regular' fishing as she called it. So, I decided that she and I were going to go. Now I'm trying to find a place to take her next weekend and have a few thoughts, but would like a little more help from those that have been there.

I was hoping for somewhere that we could go, cast out a few rods, and sit back and watch the world go by between fish. I was hoping for somewhere that has a decent number of fish of whatever type and size so that she stays interested. In that respect I was thinking that roach might be perfect and/or perch. She is also visual, so float/waggler fishing on still water would be great. She lives in Chiswick, but we both have cars so driving isn't a problem. I was hoping somewhere between london and Slough as ideal, but again I'd take a better venue over a closer one.

Any thoughts?

I was spoiled for choice back in the states. I had half a dozen streams, a couple ponds, a bunch of big lakes, a river, and the beach all within a short drive, plus some of the nicest trout waters in the country within 2 hours. It was easy to go out to the state park with a handful of maggots/casters (we called casters wax worms) and catch some bluegills, crappie, and bass. A couple dozen in an evening was nothing. I was hoping for something similar over here.

Thanks,

Rick

Guest Rabbit

High Rick

Probably nit the best one on here to try and help, but it's a start welcome the both of you to Anglers Net and the wonderful world of coarse fishing.

if I was you I would set my sights on just a few more miles west of Slough, especially if it's rivers you prefer. There are a number of gravel pits that have been dug out along the M4 corridor that offer very good fishing especially big bream. But how about an English chalk stream? Then if so theres is no better fishing that the River Kennet, from Newbury to Reading its great fishing and some beautiful countryside too. barbel roach Chub and Trout it has it all.

So perhaps you should start Googling around and see what comes up!!! i know there are some day ticket areas near Newbury, and I have fished there, but my dinner is calling so I will leave you with all the work :D (or wait for the likes of Anderloo and the Flying Tench to guide you)

HI Rabbit,

I prefer rivers but I think it would be a little tougher for her. Like I said, my hope was to find a place to cast out a few wagglers/loafers with a caster or two under them and sit back. I thought about the Thames around Hampton Court Palace, but that would be ledgering which I don't think would keep her interest. And, I don't have the tackle to sling lead around. I have a 9' medium power and some lighter trout weight rods. My 7' light power is perfect for throwing a 3g drennan for little fish and I think she'd really enjoy catching on it. I figured to take the 9' rod as a ledgering rod for whatever bottom feeder might be coming through (pellets and a small feeder were my thoughts).

Bream hold my interest, though I think roach/rudd/perch will hold her interest (and shorter attention span).

I've fished the Test (for grayling) as well as the Driffield west beck (up here in Yorkshire) so I'm familiar with chalk streams. Not quite what I'm looking for this weekend but I will certainly have a look for myself. I've done a bunch of google searching and searching on this board, but not knowing the area so well it is tough to know what is where without google mapping every place. I've found a few this way, but nothing that has tripped my whistle so to speak, in that it would be good for her.

Thanks,

Rick

Hi Rick,

For still water fishing in or near West London, you could try:

Twynersh Fishing Complex at Cherstsey, near Thorpe Park

http://www.twynershfishingcomplex.com/

There are lakes in both Hampton Court and Bushey Park but you need to apply for a permit (apart from the regular EA one) from

http://www.hrp.org.uk/HamptonCourtPalace/p...andleisure.aspx

There's also the Grand Union canal in North West London but I don't have a clue where the best places to fish would be.

If none of these take your fancy, try looking here:

http://www.fishsoutheast.co.uk/

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Phil Davis

We don't own this world - we've only borrowed it from our children.

loads of fishing around west london and around the area you have mentioned just have to look around the web, you have the Thames as you have said which you can float fish as well as ledger, tons of lakes around this area,2 many to mention. tried Thorpe lea myself the weekend, had a carp of 17lb 6oz, Bedfont lakes has lots of small fish as well as big carp, hard water for the carp but the smaller fish can be a fish a chuck, Lizard lakes in west drayton can be good, with various sizes of fish to name but 3.

mick

Edited by musicmick1973

Rik when Im up in Mitcham your more than welcome to meet up with me for a session on the River Wandle (well recovered from the previous years pollution now) and I will gladly show you the UK methods that are easy and work on our rivers.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

thanks guys, that gives me a few to check out. I'll have a look trough those and pick one. The grand union still sounds good because there seem to be a few places where she can people watch while 'we' fish. That was the appeal of the Thames, though float fishing would be impossible for her there. Some of the lakes sound good too. I'll report back afterwords.

Thanks

Rick