River roach rigs

Anderoo

I've found a bit of river with some decent roach, and plan to fish for them as much as possible until the end of the season. I've had 2 afternoon and into dark sessions so far and have been frustrated by loads of bites I can't hit. There are clearly a lot of fish there and they want the bait, so location, bait and baiting are all ok. I just need to sort the rigs out so I can improve on the feeble hooking ratio!

So far I've been using a running small cage feeder and hook length of between 6-18", fishing downstream. I reckon I'm connecting with about 1 bite in 15. Most bites are sharp jabs and very difficult to hit.

I have a few ideas of things to try, but if you have any ideas I'd like to hear them!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big river roach eh?.......I'm afraid this is another area I know next to nothing about! :rolleyes: Sounds obvious but first thing I would try to do is establish whether these "missed bites" were from the big roach or just small stuff having a go at your flake.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Big river roach eh?.......I'm afraid this is another area I know next to nothing about! :rolleyes: Sounds obvious but first thing I would try to do is establish whether these "missed bites" were from the big roach or just small stuff having a go at your flake.

The roach we were catching were a decent size and the bites were identical to the ones we were missing. But I get the feeling there's a load of roach of all sizes, so the missed bites could be from small ones... One thing I was going to try was a float in the day time, as the bites should be easier to hit and we can see who the culprits are! But I would still like a much more effective rig for the quivertip rod as I think the bigger ones are more likely to fall for a static bait around dusk or after dark. We've seen them rolling after dark.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Have you tried up stream ledgering for them with short hook links"bolt" style? Ive found this far better for any species thats being tricky than traditional "down stream" ledgering for "pull round" bites.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Have you tried up stream ledgering for them with short hook links"bolt" style? Ive found this far better for any species thats being tricky than traditional "down stream" ledgering for "pull round" bites.

No, I need to try that.

Try different baits (if you've not already). Caster, maggot and corn are good for roach. I had some nice roach last year on hair rigged corn (two peices) on short bottoms. Personally i'd deffo be trotting for them. Maybe a paternoster set up would be worth a dabble ? You could try a double hook approach.

Androo,

I read your initial post. But, since Tigger mentioned it - - - - - - - bait.

For bait we use cast nets. When they are illegal and bait must be caught of a hook and line and I know it in advance I will take, in addition to my "go to" baits some boiled hemp and/or buckwheat. I use a flyfishing hook (probably bigger than you are using anyway). One kernel close to the eye in front of a very small (tiny) piece of styrofoam. If I think the fish are coming "from the top down" I slide the styrofoam over the eye thus inverting the hook. Equally, I take a handful of "braces tightening" rubberbands from the orthodontist (so kids will use them they come in a multitued of colors).

Your "bite" numbers may be reduced but your hookup numbers could offset the exasparation you are experiencing(?). If bread is your "go to" bait orthodontist bands will help keep it on small hooks longer. You can still invert the hook if you think it will help.

Phone

Edit: oops - to invert the hook you have to do the opposite of what I suggest. You get the idea?

Edited by Phone

Just noticed you've seen them rolling after dark. You could try trotting bread flake just below the surface or even on the surface in daylight or into darkness. I did it last year when fishing for rudd, it worked well. It was a still water but Ion't see why it shouldn't work on a running water.