River roach rigs

Anderoo

More interesting replies, cheers :)

I've never really got the hang of upstream legering, it looks like now is the time to practice.

BTW Steve's reply reminded me that the wind last weekend was horrendous, very strong and very blustery, which didn't help matters!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing which has prevented me ledgering upstream is the thought that hookbait is always being pushed towards you by the flow, particularly if you’re using bread. A fish could take the bait and provided it doesn’t dislodge the lead it could move in a number of directions without registering a bite. Strictly speaking the same could occur with conventional ledgering but it just seems less likely with the current ‘helping’ the rig.

It’s something I haven’t been able to get my head around, if I was upstream ledgering I’d be continually winding in to make sure the bait was still on the hook.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Guest redfin2
The thing which has prevented me ledgering upstream is the thought that hookbait is always being pushed towards you by the flow, particularly if you’re using bread. A fish could take the bait and provided it doesn’t dislodge the lead it could move in a number of directions without registering a bite. Strictly speaking the same could occur with conventional ledgering but it just seems less likely with the current ‘helping’ the rig.

It’s something I haven’t been able to get my head around, if I was upstream ledgering I’d be continually winding in to make sure the bait was still on the hook.

Pretty much the same here, never had the confidence to upstream much at all, although I will concede that those that do swear it helps.

Anderloo

I have had similar session(s) with Roach on the quiver, I even have had 'unmissable' pull rounds on maggot and just end up with sucked maggots, mind you roach educate them selves pretty quickly so to me that is part of the delight in fishing for themand trying different baits and presentations. I would personally try and present my bait under a float when they are being so finniky, I reckon you will increase your chances, the problem it would seem the fishin are 'blowing' the bread, try burying the bread completely around the hook, and form the join so it resembled a small pastie :D I use a 10 hook for this and does account for some nice roach.

Cheers Redfin :)

For the upstream legering, what rigs would people use? Just a simple little fixed paternoster with a short hooklength? I'm assuming it would need to be fixed so the fish can dislodge the weight easily and make the tip spring back, and that a short(ish) hooklength would help?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I think I would give the mini helicopter bolt rigs ago. You could always try a 2 ledger rod approach and have one on the bolt rig fishing itself while you concentrate on hitting bites on the other rod. It might be interesting to see who results compare.

A lot of the Chub guys on the Lea use the still water Roach style bolt rigs. They don't tend to hide what they are doing from me as it is obvious I am out Piking. So I assume it would work well on rivers, but then again the Lea has been like a still water all season.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

They want to eat the bread and I have confidence in it for good roach, so I want to keep using it.

Thing is if your not prepared to swap and change baits etc you may well carry on as you are. Even if you do get some fish it may be less than if you had a change round now and again.

I have used bolt rigs for roach and they work very well.

One time I was using hair rigged corn on short bottoms (4inch'ish) but the line was tight to a heavy tip so similar to a self hooking rig really . I was actually fishing for barbel and chub but finnished up with quite a lot of roach to over 2lb, the majority being 1 1/2lb. They did seem to start going on the feed half an hour'ish before dark and carried on for an hour or so into dark. I don't know how long they would have carried on feeding as I got fed up with them (catching them on heavy rods and line was just no fun at all).

The way I look at it is like this - if I'm not getting bites, the problem is location, feeding or bait (probably in that order); if I am getting bites but not landing as many as I should be, the problem is with presentation and rigs. I can't see the logic in changing the bits that are working and not the bits that aren't working! The roach are picking up the bait so everything up to that point is fine, it's the rest that needs some work. The bits I'm prepared to swap are the bits that aren't working properly.

I am going to try a few different rigs next time out as I'm sure there will be a way to dramatically up the number of roach landed. I'll stick to just one rod though otherwise I'll find it hard to concentrate.

Keep the ideas coming :) It's all helpful.

Dont know if it would help but in my match fishing days we were getting a similar problem fishing the trent. What we ended up doing was fishing quite large cage feeders with just enough lead added to hold bottom. Add a big bow in the line . When we had a bite we virtually just reeled in as they dislodged the cage feeder and got hooked as the cage feeder shot downsteam. In effect a self hooking rig. we only used running ledger rigs no pternoster.

It was suprising as even a 2 inch roach was able to dislodge the feeder.

Edited by terry t shirt

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Dont know if it would help but in my match fishing days we were getting a similar problem fishing the trent. What we ended up doing was fishing quite large cage feeders with just enough lead added to hold bottom. Add a big bow in the line . When we had a bite we virtually just reeled in as they dislodged the cage feeder and got hooked as the cage feeder shot downsteam. In effect a self hooking rig. we only used running ledger rigs no pternoster.

It was suprising as even a 2 inch roach was able to dislodge the feeder.

That is "upstream ledgering" TT.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!