the man who wants every zander dead

mark barrett

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all

Im not a coarse angler due to the shortage of it in my area but this thread got me thinking about somthing I saw on tv which distrubeb me a bit.

A cook on the wild side with Hugh whatsesname had piece on zander. One angler was telling how he hated them then hugh cooked one then it went over to the council in a boat with eletric rods killing these fish. Is this really needed? like I said i dont have any real coarse knowledge but I found the councils eletricuting the fish to be a wee bit out of order. Or are zander really the pest they were made out to be in this programme?

I thought they looked a pretty neat fish....id like to catch one.

cheers mmc

they have a bad reputation mate that is unwarrante on the whoe. they can cause problems when they first arrive in a fishery, but they soon settle to a balanced level. the fishing in the fens 40 years on from their introduction is verygood, if they really were such a pest tis would not be the case.

and you are right they are a superb fish mate stunnig loking and better fighters than they are usually credited with being

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

this is wingingts way to the angling minister Martin Salter as regards this issue

Dear Mr Salter,

i am not a constituent of yours but we do both share a common interest, that being angling. as the minister for angling i would like to draw to your attention a article in this weeks angling times.

the times has an interview with a mr Peter Collins who was caught red handed setting dead lines on a water local to me, in an attempt to catch pike and Zander. this is completely illegal and Mr Collins has owned up to the fact, yet despite the EA being informed back in Januasry of this mans activities they took no action and it was indeed left up to a concerned Pike anglers and Zander anglers clubs member to set up a surveillance operation and catch him in the act.

yet still after having all the evidence they need, the EA are not going to prosecute this man because he is 79 years of age. i am told by a aquantaince of mine that not prosecuting OAP's is an unofficial policy. if this is the case then what precedent does this set?

after all any pensioner can now fish unlicensed and break every rule and law going as regards to angling and know they will do so with officially sanctioned impunity.

i would ask you sir as the minister responsible for angling to ask questions of the EA as regards both this particular case and overall policies.

this current inactivity is akin to the speed camera debate as in it seems that the EA will only persue those from which they can reasonably expect to pay, or are easier targets. the last time i looked this was not the way that british justice operated.

many thanks for your time and i look forward to your reply.

Yours Truly

Mark Barrett

[ 24. February 2004, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: mark barrett ]

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

good letter mark - would you post any reply if you get one please?..this is out of order!

(and what have I told you about that spell checker? :D:D )

tight lines - Andy

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

mmc1uk:

Hi all

A cook on the wild side with Hugh whatsesname had piece on zander. One angler was telling how he hated them then hugh cooked one then it went over to the council in a boat with eletric rods killing these fish. Is this really needed? like I said i dont have any real coarse knowledge but I found the councils eletricuting the fish to be a wee bit out of order. Or are zander really the pest they were made out to be in this programme?

cheers mmc

this was on a canal stretch around Birmingham if I remember right, and what the council were doing was electric fishing which stuns the fish allowing them to be removed from the water and to a different location, but doesn't kill them. It's offen employed when trying to clean up ponds/boating lakes etc.

AndyM:

AndyM:

Hi all

cheers mmc

this was on a canal stretch around Birmingham if I remember right, and what the council were doing was electric fishing which stuns the fish allowing them to be removed from the water and to a different location, but doesn't kill them. It's offen employed when trying to clean up ponds/boating lakes etc.
Ahhhh

Forgive my ignorance.

The whole aura of the shows section did seem very anti zander so I assumed they were killing the fish.

You learn somthing new everyday :)

quote:

they have a bad reputation mate that is unwarrante on the whoe. they can cause problems when they first arrive in a fishery, but they soon settle to a balanced level. the fishing in the fens 40 years on from their introduction is verygood, if they really were such a pest tis would not be the case.
I was told a pike would never eat out its food supply hence why the survive so well in small ponds/pits etc. Is this true and if so would that be the case with the zander?