the man who wants every zander dead

mark barrett

no you were right in the first place. its british waterways that do the electro fishing, not the council, and they are all kiled not re located.

this has been an ongoing argument between the ZAC and BW for many a year.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This issue seems to have stirred up some discussion on a variety of websites. Problem is it has no real impact unless you make some kind of protest to the EA. If you dont fish for predators and believe that its not your problem then just remember that if it were carp or bream involved then the sense of outrage would probably be just the same amongst most predator anglers. Its not about 'species' its about fish stocks in general and the issue of the EA appearing to condone the use of set lines. At the end of the day we try to put them all back alive regardless of whether they are zander,pike, carp or silver fish. They all count, they all form part of the delicate balance of fish with teeth and fish with no teeth. Once you start monkeying around with that by trying to eradicate a single species, it starts to go wrong for everyone. Failing to prosecute in this case could set a dangerour precedent. So do yourself a big favour and just click on

enquiries@environment-agency.gov.uk, tell them how displeased you are that Peter Collins would appear to be able to use set lines and avoid prosecution and perhaps ask them what you pay £22 per year for.

There, that didnt take long did it?

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Hi chaps regarding the cook on the wildside prog ch 4 the *sshole match angler Mark something or other cought a good zander and hoyed in the bushes however when this episode is repeted on H&L it is always edited out (WONDER WHY)ALL THE BEST ZAPP.... PS if Mark something or others sees this post you are the worst example of a so called angler i have ever seen.YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF

I remember when I was a kid there was a programme on one of the three channels called (i think) the great fishing race. I remember some of the guys went for the big points zander and were happy to sit there for days at a time to catch one. It seems a shame that they are deemed pests now. The same seen as a pest thing is also tagged to the grayling in a few if not most of scottish rivers. Such a shame as they wonderfull to fish for.

zappagod:

Hi chaps regarding the cook on the wildside prog ch 4 the *sshole match angler Mark something or other cought a good zander and hoyed in the bushes however when this episode is repeted on H&L it is always edited out (WONDER WHY)ALL THE BEST ZAPP.... PS if Mark something or others sees this post you are the worst example of a so called angler i have ever seen.YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF

Have only seen H&L one. Mark something or other is that why you never turned up the next day for your meal?

I have sent the following protest to the EA, with a copy to Martin Salter:

I wish to protest in the strongest terms about the EA's failure to prosecute Peter Collins for his selfish and wanton destruction of wildlife. How can the EA now expect a prosecution against ruthless fish stealers to succeed, when they have deemed this case not worthy of prosecution. I object to his utterly illegal slaughter of zander, but who knows how many pike, eels and grebes have also been slaughtered by this person with his lethal, unattended night lines.

Furthermore, I would like the EA to investigate the rather perverse attempt to prosecute the person who alerted the EA to Mr Collins. My own understanding is that this pike angler broke a rule that most people (including myself) had never heard of; that in which there must be no more than 10 metres between the most upstream and downstream of the rods being used. My understanding of this is that the angler unwittingly broke this rule by a matters of mere centimetres, and it raises the possibility that this may have been a malicious prosecution by an EA member of staff who may have been a personal friend of Mr Collins.

I could have phrased it a little better I suppose but that's what happens when you do something in the heat of the moment.

[ 24. February 2004, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: Peter Sharpe ]

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.