Spool loaders, where can I get one, at a fair price?

Norfolkdipper

I have just loaded a spool with 4lb mono, trouble is looked at it after & there was a loop way down the spool. So had a unwing it all to clear it, with the usual results. To many tangles to save it, so lost the whole 100m. How do you load line & avoid lose loops? I am fed up struggling to do it the old fashioned way of:- reverse thread line on a rod, (tip - butt), tying it to spool. then using a finger to tension it reel line onto spool. So where can i get a fair priced loader or how can I make one? Has anyone ever asked the tackle shop to load it for you?

Mark

Fishing is the most peaceful & solitary group activity a going. Every watewr is different every day, thanks for that as same would be boring....

I have just loaded a spool with 4lb mono, trouble is looked at it after & there was a loop way down the spool. So had a unwing it all to clear it, with the usual results. To many tangles to save it, so lost the whole 100m. How do you load line & avoid lose loops? I am fed up struggling to do it the old fashioned way of:- reverse thread line on a rod, (tip - butt), tying it to spool. then using a finger to tension it reel line onto spool. So where can i get a fair priced loader or how can I make one? Has anyone ever asked the tackle shop to load it for you?

Mark

HI Mark

I have to say I have never had that problem. I have just a couple of weeks ago loaded 3 big pit reels with over 1200 yards of line between them and 3 baitrunners with over 900 yards of line.

As for lighter lines I always change mine every few months depending on usage.

Use the butt of rod and just pass line through nearest eye. Put butt against your body and hold rod just behind eye using thumb and finger to tension line.

It always works ok for me.

John

Mark if you are using a pencil that could be the trouble and definately not the best way as it gives line twist.

A tip I learn't recently about spooling is to make sure the way the line is coming off the spool onto the reel is the same as it goes on. I was always slightly confused with this and found it difficult to be sure.

Start taking the line off one side of the spool and stop after a few turns release line and see if it twists between reel and first ring. You can turn spool over and try again and one way you will see it twist more. The twisted side is the qwrong way turn it over again and take line off of that side of spool.

As Lozza says a bucket of water is also a good idea although I don't personnaly do that.

John

Edited by John Weddup

Loads of these on fleebay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Daiwa-Sensor-Fis...=item4843a4e57e

Just like putting it on a pencil (can't see it causing any significant twist myself) but no hands needed and you have a built in tensioner.

I just get my mrs to hold the spool on a pencil and put pressure on it with her fingers (a bit of cloth between fingers and spool to stop them from getting burned). Otherwise I hold it between my feet Big toes whilst wearing thickish socks and do it myself :).

Edited by Tigger

I thread the line through the butt ring of a rod and have the spool of line under both my feet which are placed together with the line peeling off betwenn both feet. By pressing down on the spool with my feet it puts tension on the line and it goes on to the reel with out any problems.

The only line I have had issues with using this method was Korda Kontour Flurocarbon that was a bit of a nightmare with plenty of line twist but all other monos and braids I have loaded have been fine.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Norfolk,

Remember the line must go on your reel with the bail turning in the same direction as the line is comings off the manufacturers spool laying flat on the floor. I spool onto the reel using a short rod. I guess if you don't have a short one you can use the butt section of a longer rod (IMO it wouldn't be as good). Don't forget - even tension is very important! Now that your reel spool is full do you have a football field or golf course nearby? When it "mattered" that the line was straight as possible (no twist) take it to the "big field" and take however much you want to be straight off by walking away with the bail open. Now stop and wind it back on "flipping" it in the air occasionally. Once again, using the same tension between your thumb and forefinger is extremely important. The second step is, of course, optional. Since we often have access to boats we often just pull it behind a boat through the water with the bail open down to the desired point to take any twist out.

Without the second step it should be 'straight' on your reel.

Never used one but I'd think "line tensioners" would be very cheap. I guess(?) they go anywhere along the rod.

Don't forget, all reels don't go in the same direction.

Phone

Edit: I guess I should tell you why there is a "step 2". Sometimes when the line is transfered from the manufacturered HUGE spool to the retail size spool it is from near the center of the "big" spool. With some bad luck you can get a "retail spool" that already has line twist no matter how you put it on your reel. Only way to be sure this hasn't happened is to pull it through the grass or behind a boat - etc.

Edited by Phone

mark ,do you have a phone directory or a stack of magazines ,run the line through the middle of the directoy (or througha magazine halfway down the stack) this will add tension too the line ,thread the line through the rings and tie too the spool & wind on as normal keeping a eye on the line as it wound on ,keep a steady rate as you wind and all should be ok .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve