Rochdale Canal - Centre of Manchester

let us know how you do Martin?

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right I've had a brief walk down the canal but I'll go with my pen and paper and write down the areas/sections near me and see if I'm heading in the right direction. I don't know Manchester very well so I will report back next week with some more details.

Martin

Regards,

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

I've been for a walk down the canal and the spot that seems to be the best is as advised down at Castlefields where the Rochdale Canal joins the Bridgewater. It is just past Deansgate going out of the city round the youth hostel and catalan square.

There is a good bit of water for me to go at but if it is lunch hour fishing it will have to be the telscopic rod and lures. I could always have a few hours after work as well.

There was a guy pole fishing and he was catching a few small fish. There are perch and chub in the cnal in this area and hopefully some pike. Does anybody know?

I'll try the trusty 'big s' and get some rubber grubs for the perch and chub. Anybody got any other suggestions?

It might be a few weeks before I give it a go or my work colleagues might think I'm a total freak!

If anybody can help they can always private email me.

Regards,

Martin

I see several anglers having the odd good days on the Irwell from the back of our office in st marys parsonage . . right behind Kendals . the same two or three faces seem to attend (off the steps of the new hotels) I do not know about rights exactly but I understand it is free fishing . . on an evening there are lots of fish topping and the odd larger swirl .

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

• 10 months later...

Martin Salisbury:

I have just got a job in the centre of Manchester near Oxford Road station and what I believe is the Rochdael Canal.

Can anybody tell me what is in the canal (if anything!) and who owns the fishing rights?

Kaz:

Kaz:

I have just got a job in the centre of Manchester near Oxford Road station and what I believe is the Rochdael Canal.

Can anybody tell me what is in the canal (if anything!) and who owns the fishing rights?

Hi Martin,

Rochdale is a Todmorden Water, I dont know what it covers, but if you giv them a ring on 01706 816319 they will tell you. There are tench,carp,roach,bream,and chub in there so im lead to belive, season ticket is £30 hope this has been of some help to you