Livebaiting for pike

Guest Pinkeye

Guest Pinkeye

Not everyones cup of tea I know but, for anyone who is bothered there is a report on the PAC web site http://www.pacgb.com stating the threat to the right to live bait for pike in Scotland.

Any threat to angling has to be taken seriously and it has been said before but, we all need to stick together and block any proposed bans from being imposed upon us. You know first livebaiting, then keepnets then who knows what??

Check out the link and vote on the online poll or better still get a petition form from the PAC and return it by the deadline (12th October).

It could be worms and maggots next.......

Guest tony jolley

As an EEL ANGLER that uses LIVEBAITs.

I will remind everyone that "NOT JUST PIKE ANGLERS USE LIVES AS BAIT" so the threat is not just restricted to pike angling but ALL the predator groups, So I will also ask you all whether you use lives for eels , pike, perch. chub, catfish. zander to get behind the petition and make yourself heard,

The right to use ANY LEGAL METHOD OR BAIT MUST BE PROTECTED!! OK!!

Support from angling on the whole would be even better!

Just think YOUR prefared method could be next!

------------------

Tony B.T Jolley

Guest Dave Lumb

This threat is very real and very serious. It is more than likely that the conservation and game fishing lobbies will sway the decision on this one. There is a lot of water muddying going on here. As much pressure must be applied to this Scottish issue as possible or it will eventually become a nationwide ban. Once livebaiting goes who can say what will be next? Keepnets, carp sacks, barbed hooks?

Dave

Guest Peter Waller
Originally posted by tony jolley:,

The right to use ANY LEGAL METHOD OR BAIT MUST BE PROTECTED!!  OK!!

[/b]

Tony etc. I have no wish to devalue the call to arms over livebaiting but there is one small point that arises over what you, and others, are saying. Don't forget that at one time gaffing was legal, knotted nets were legal, gorge-baiting was legal. The point I am making is that because it is legal does not automatically make it right. Do you remember, as a kid, when you were told to do something that you didn't wish to do. Perhaps you asked why & you got back the classic 'because I say so'. Bit like saying, because its legal. Its an answer with no substance. I am fully behind the retention of live-baiting, even though I choose not to do so myself. I should like to be able to, if I wish. All those who wish to protect the right to live-bait need a convincing arguement, based on facts with substance, in order to back up their demands. What can we take to the authorities in order to convince them that we are right to maintain this right? Unlike the Close Season issue we can't claim its in the fish's best interests or that the environment will benefit.

By the way Tony, this is not aimed specifically at you. Its just that your comment triggered my point of view on this one.

Peter - well said. A good starting place would be to state the various arguments against live baiting. Most practices are not banned unless there are objections so there must be some to live baiting. As you said, it cannot be shown to help the fish but can it be shown to harm them [other than the bait that is smile.gif ]? It would seem to me that a united response will be lots easier if everyone here is reading from same page.

Guest tony jolley

No problem Peter!

I am glad you posted, and I at least know my post provocted some kind of response.

One that as predator anglers we will have to address,

Predator !!!

maybe that is the key word here we are after all provideing the most natural presentation that we can to predatory fish, that is a live fish which make up the staple diet of the fish we are after,

I know there will be calls for plastic baits such as plugs and the like, but how many eels have been caught on a lure?

I have asked this a lot of times on this site and not had a positive response.

Live bait can sometimes be the ONLY method to catch the predatory eels I am after, to stop me using live bait would be fundamentaly wrong I think!.

------------------

Tony B.T Jolley

Guest Peter Waller
Originally posted by tony jolley:

No problem Peter!

I am glad you posted, and I at least know my post provocted some kind of response.

One that as predator anglers we will have to address,

Predator !!!

maybe that is the key word here we are after all provideing the most natural presentation that we can to predatory fish, that is a live fish which make up the staple diet of the fish we are after,

I know there will be calls for plastic baits such as plugs and the like, but how many eels have been caught on a lure?

I have asked this a lot of times on this site and not had a positive response.

Live bait can sometimes be the ONLY method to catch the predatory eels I am after, to stop me using live bait would be fundamentaly wrong I think!.

Tony, we have to assume that the bod in power, the final deciscion maker in NOT an angler. That a live bait can be the only effective method is not going to convince a non angler that it would be fundamentally wrong to outlaw the method. That is the point that I am trying to put over. If Parliament was full of Anglers then the world would be a marvellous place, but on both counts its not. Consider yourself a salesman. How are you going to convince a client, who clearly does not want your product, that he should buy it, and be glad that he did. By the way, I have never caught an eel on a lure.

Guest pikelines editor

Get voting lads and lasses, let's show em anglers can stand united for our legal rights mad.gif ...

What do you term as a live bait, fish, yes... what about worms and maggots?? a slippery slope indeed.

PAC will fight our corner on everyone's behalf, all we need are your voices.

Thanks in advance.

------------------

As darkness falls, big snigs come out to play...

Well, they did last year!

Best, Steve Ormrod

Guest Bob Hornegold

As a preditor angler I would like to thank the PAC for bringing this issue to our attention.

I am not a member of the PAC but do belong to two other preditor groups, this has to be the concern of all these groups.

Catfish,Zander, Perch,Eel and Chub should be behind this vote not just the PAC.

Lets get it out to all preditor anglers before they ban live baiting in Scotland and move on to England.