Mackerel Rigs

Stanthedog

Hi

Can you tell me exactly how to set up a mackerel rig for shore, jetty fishing using feathers. How do i weight the rig, what size and type of weight, where do I put swivels, how do i attach feathers etc. How long should my rig be, what weight of line. I need a real idiots guide. Many thanks for your advice.

Hi

Can you tell me exactly how to set up a mackerel rig for shore, jetty fishing using feathers. How do i weight the rig, what size and type of weight, where do I put swivels, how do i attach feathers etc. How long should my rig be, what weight of line. I need a real idiots guide. Many thanks for your advice.

Buy Mustad shrimp rigs, at £1.50 a go it's not worth making your own. Size of weight just depends on what rod you are using. On a spinning rod you can whack it out a fair way with an ounce bomb, on a beachcaster four is about right.

Buy Mustad shrimp rigs, at £1.50 a go it's not worth making your own. Size of weight just depends on what rod you are using. On a spinning rod you can whack it out a fair way with an ounce bomb, on a beachcaster four is about right.

Hi thanks for the info I will purchase a rig

I do have a number of packets of feathers which I would like to rig together so I would like to know who to set a rig up myself. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as I am new to sea shore fishing. I am a fly, game fisher who has coverted to the sea as I cannot justifying paying a £60 rod license for the amount of times I can get on a river.

Hi thanks for the info I will purchase a rig

I do have a number of packets of feathers which I would like to rig together so I would like to know who to set a rig up myself. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as I am new to sea shore fishing. I am a fly, game fisher who has coverted to the sea as I cannot justifying paying a £60 rod license for the amount of times I can get on a river.

Any help with building my rigs would be appreciated, diagrams full details, etc.. There must be somewhere out there who can help??? :headhurt:

As said, go with a pre tied packet of 4 to 6 feathers. All you need to do is unravel them then tie a lead on the bottom and your mainline to the top and you're good to go.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

The trouble with many mackerel-type rigs is that they are made of mono which is too light for distance casting. Some of the knots tied by the assembly lines in the Far East are a bit dubious too!

The hooks are often too big (up to 3/0s for mackerel?) as well.

I make my own 'feathered' rigs from 70 lb mono rig bodies and add suitable hook size and lures according to target fish. Baited feathers (3 at a time, 4 is not usually allowed) can be match winners in a species hunt (from a boat).

I find that mackerel lures are very effective in size 2 O'Shaunessy hooks and go as small as size 12s for sandeel lures.

Wrap them with all manner of glittery scaley effect materials or seek out the miniature muppets. A fluorescent or red bead above the lure seems to help too!

homemademackie2.jpg

mackiehomemade.jpg

The coloured lines are only for visual purposes in the photo. I use clear snoods.

:rolleyes:

OI OI,

Cheap enough to buy open it up & copy with your feathers but i was on a boat sat off craster with muppets tipted with rag & the cod came in abundant's plus plenty of mackrel to see me through winter pikeing & winter sea fishing im seriously thinking of selling all my course fishing gear for the same reason, get yourself on a fishing charter boat & you'll never look back, easy fishing but hard work hauling them in sometime's GOOD LUCK.

..BILL

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite