10lb Thames Trout!

Elton

A fisherman has landed what is believed to be the biggest trout caught in this part of the Thames in recent times.

New Zealander David Shannon was fishing on Putney Embankment last Tuesday when he hooked the 10.2lb (4.6kg) monster.

Article here:

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/lo...ut_from_Thames/

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

"Theo Pike, from the Wandle Trust, said he believed the fish could be either a migratory sea trout or a slob trout."

Is it just my eyes playing up or isn't that a rainbow?

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

lutra,

What is a "slob" trout? (or am I going to have to "Fishbase" it.) Are they common?

I really can't tell, what it is from that picture. In fact, I'm not to keen on trout ID in person.

Phone

lutra,

What is a "slob" trout? (or am I going to have to "Fishbase" it.) Are they common?

I really can't tell, what it is from that picture. In fact, I'm not to keen on trout ID in person.

Phone

It's of the Brown trout family.

As best i understand it, a brown trout spends all its life in fresh water. A sea trout is born and breeds in fresh water, but go's to sea to grow up. A slob trout is somewhere in the middle, Its born in fresh water, but spends some or all of its life growing up feeding in the brackish/salt water in the estuary of a river system before returning back up stream to breed.

Also in parts of the UK sea trout can have other names like sewin (Wales), finnock (Scotland), peal (West Country), mort (North West England) and white trout (Ireland) and cannibal brown trout in some of our large lakes, loughs and lochs can be called ferox trout.

Just to confuse it a bit more for you Phone, large sea and slob trout are sometimes called bull trout over here and they have nothing to do with your Dolly Varden/bull trout.

They all belong to the Brown trout family.

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

And out of season to boot!!!

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.