Any one going to brave the cold this weekend?

Dales

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I awoke to several inches of snow here in not so sunny Kent so I wont be going today after all! Don't mind the cold but even if the water ain't hard I dont rate the chances of anywhere producing much.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Well I had a real good day yesterday and fancied it again today but wimped out

Was'nt the roads or the driving that put me off just wimped out on safety grounds, yesterday was bad enough with the slight thaw melting the surface making walking river banks trecherous but the added snow on top later in the day just made it downright dangerous

More snow overnight on top of freezing conditions and steep uneven riverbanks and a pacey river made the decision quite easy, was going to take my lad with me today so the right call was not to go, the quick thaw we're going to get today and tomorrow will just about goose our local river for a week or so, just hope it'll be right for next weekend

Guest redfin2
16ºF when I started fishing this morning thats-9ºC in new money! Water temp of the Kennet was barely above freezing at 35ºF. Had a chub before a brownie wrecked my swim - and found the left overs of Mr Otter's tea - 1 bite! :angry:

ChewedBarbel.jpg

C.

When you see that it really does drive the point home, the Otter can't be hungry to leave all that , rich pickings it would seem.

16ºF when I started fishing this morning thats-9ºC in new money! Water temp of the Kennet was barely above freezing at 35ºF. Had a chub before a brownie wrecked my swim - and found the left overs of Mr Otter's tea - 1 bite! :angry:

ChewedBarbel.jpg

C.

Who witnessed the otter kill the fish ? Just curious why it was automatically pinned on the otter.

The roads werent too bad actually, so I went for a few hours' chubbing in the snow. It looks gorgeous out there today. I think I would have done better if it had been colder, it was quite mild and so the snow and ice have been melting pretty fast all day, filling the river up with cold, deoxygenated water. But I managed to scratch out one chub of about 2lb, so that plus the fantastic snowy landscape was more than enough to keep me happy today :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Well I managed to get out. Nothing short of a nuclear attack would stop me.

We had 6 to 8 inches of level snow here with a few drifts aswell so the other landrover my defender had to come out to play.

8 miles to Sudbury and meet my new fishing mate to show him a good winter chub haunt although conditions are a touch difficult. Its quite a windy narrow section with luckily a little flow as all the deeper slower sections were frozen solid. We have had cold easterlies here all week and they had taken their toll.

In short we had what could only be described as a good day in the conditions. Darrel caught 6 fish most between 1lb and 2.5lb and lost a much bigger fish under the ice close in when the hook pulled.

I caught 3 fish one of about a 1lb and 2 about 2lbs.

I only pictured the first fish darrell caught and the first one I caught as I only had my phone and it was tucked in my top shirt pocket under several layers of thermals. Having said that walking through the deep snow was very tiring and caused severe overheating .

In my last swim I noticed a deer about 20 yards away close to the water. It was a muntjack shivering with cold back legs in the water and it would appear a couple of broken legs aswell. I pulled him out with my landing net but it was obvious he was not going to survive so i had to dispatch him to save his suffering. Having killed many things over the years to eat its still a memory that will be with me for a few days I am sure.

Picture001-1.jpg

Picture003-1.jpg

Picture004-1.jpg

Picture005-1.jpg

The 2 pictured are only small and the better ones we caught were only a couple of pounds but we both thoroughly enjoyed the day and had the river to ourselves.

John