Extra Water..................

Severn Wolf

is that your local angling club greg??

well done!!haha

"two men were standing on the bank of the river and one says to the other"how can i catch a fish?? and the other replied "you keep your bait in the water!!!"

I think my ultimate goal is to be ambidextrous in my chucking. I've been working on it for a long time. Very frustrating!

Me too - strangely, I don't have any trouble with using the ROD left handed (I am right handed) but I do have trouble controlling and shooting the LINE with my right hand. I usually give up and cast righthanded over my left shoulder.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Me too - strangely, I don't have any trouble with using the ROD left handed (I am right handed) but I do have trouble controlling and shooting the LINE with my right hand. I usually give up and cast righthanded over my left shoulder.

that is strange mate but hey we all have our own tecniques,you just fish whatever way is comfortable and youl be grand!!!! :lol:

tight lines :D

"two men were standing on the bank of the river and one says to the other"how can i catch a fish?? and the other replied "you keep your bait in the water!!!"

Same here Dave. I have control issues- :) err with the rod itself which make me feel like I'm throwing like a girl. Doesn't bother me. It's the loss of power while loading the rod that does. I almost always switch back or find another spot where being cack handed isn't a prerequisite. I'll feel better about it when I get really good.

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Jeff - The situation I had in mind was where the river is on your left, the margin is overgrown, and the wind is strong and from right to left.

The classic answer is to fish left-handed, but a fairly decent cast can be made righthanded if you take the right thumb up to your left ear-lobe on the backcast. The main problem is loss of power on the forward stroke, so a vigorous backcast helps. It probably looks clumsy, but at least it gets the line out in a difficult situation.

RNLI Governor

I know exactly the situation with exception to the wind. I avoid windy conditions and probably miss out on some really good days in doing so too.

A few years ago I watched someone at a small commercial (Stonebridge nr Northallerton) casting with a small hill at his back. His back cast appeared to go straight up in the air. I still don't know how he was doing it. Maybe it was the type of line?

I think my main problem is that I have never had anyone show me how to cast and I probably have a few bad habits. I'm still catching though and don't have near the problems I had initially.

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...

. His back cast appeared to go straight up in the air. I still don't know how he was doing it.

Its an easy cast. Useful if obstructions are behind you.

Its also useful when casting against a headwind. Throw the backcast high, and punch the forward cast low.

A good tip to remember is that the line will go where your thumb is pointing

Here is a useful link.

http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/tintowind.shtml

There are plenty of other good tips on that site.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

jeff, you are missing out.....sorry, alan roe gave me some great help, so if he's at a game fair near you, take the chance to ask him, alternatively pay for a professional lesson, just one lesson from a good coach would improve your casting no end and stop you missing out when the conditions are hard.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Thanks Dave and Phil! I'll have to look around a bit I think. I was invited to a game fair in Knaresborough last year from a vendor in Harrogate. I was unable to go but I was told there would be loads of rods to try and some instruction. I also think there is some instruction by the hour at Stonebridge. (Which by the way has changed hands once again.. Soon to be flyfishing for carp)

FWIW it was an amazing sight watching this person cast. He was in no way clumsy. :)

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...

the super high back cast is called a steeple cast. As mentioned, very useful when you have a lot of low junk behind you. Same as a normal back cast, except you're rotating the plane of the cast counterclockwise. The difficulty that most have with it though is the forward cast. Since you've rotated the plane by 90 degrees, the forward cast should go exactly opposite to the back cast. In this case that would be directly into the water. You can punch the forward cast, but if you are fishing anything buy a single, small, streamline wet fly it can lead to problems. I prefer to throw a high, hard back cast and an open loop forward. You'll not get any wind knots or tangles.

For the left/right situation, casting right handed over the left shoulder works, but as you said it can be a bear in the wind. The solution is to turn around. Instead of facing upstream with the river on your left, face downstream with the river on your right. Then use your back cast as your forward cast. You can let the water load the rod a little on the lift and punch out a pretty good cast into the wind with no false casting- just lift and flick.

Thanks

Rick