River Ribble Fish In

Rob Ward

I'm coming to the Ribble Fish In  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay £24 for a club card that gives you access to a prime stretch of water where the farmer allows camping

• Yes I'm up for that!
    • No I'd rather fish day ticket lengths!

Tigger

Pop over from the outer hebrides?

. Is someone pulling my plonker here. A fisherman called Tigger from Hebrides?

I sence naughty Porky pies here? :lol:

Who moi...why I wouldn't dream of going near your plonker :lol:

I do like me pies thought, it's local delicacy round these parts ;)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This Idea was mooted some time ago so I thought I'd get off my backside and organise it.

I'll organise access to day ticket stretches of the River Ribble for the weekend with Stillwater or Canal backups if there's too much water in the River.

The Ribble has good fishing for Barbel, Chub, Dace, Roach and Predators as well as excellent wild game fishing if that's your thing. Pics on my blog may whet the appetite: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Autumn-...1-entry794.html

Best accomodation for location would be the Tickled Trout which is actually on the banks of the river with reasonable rooms for £50 a night, there's also cheaper B&B style accomodation in the area. I'll source accomodation for people where necessary, you never know your luck though a fellow AN'er may even be willing to offer a bed!

http://www.macdonaldhotels.co.uk/our-hotel...CFUoifAodSg_x3Q

Nice one Rob, I will try and drop in to say hello (and help throw bricks at tigger). :thumbs:

Don't forget the trout season will still be closed the first weekend of march.

Its not an easy winter river, but as a general rule i would say if it is low and clear it can be hard work, and it might be a good idea to pack some little tackle or pike gear. If its up and coloured (even well up) its barbel time, so pack the heavy gear (3-6oz leads if its well up).

Which stretch are you thinking of Rob?

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Sorry if I am hijacking the thread a bit - can you guys either Rob or Trigger or Lutra can give me an ideas on what tackle are needed and what I should be looking at when fishing on the Ribble?

I will be appreciated any suggestion as never fished your area for river fishing! Only done the River Cossens some years ago for the pike.

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Not sure yet was going to go and do a Recce, I know there's day tickets at Bonzai Nurseries and Ribchester. Any others?

Can't say i have a great knowledge of the day ticket lengths and also depends how many are going. Ribchester isn't very big.

The Tickle Trout (tickets from the garage).

Shaws arms (tickets from Ted Carters).

Riverside farm off Cuerdale lane (tickets at farm).

Sorry if I am hijacking the thread a bit - can you guys either Rob or Trigger or Lutra can give me an ideas on what tackle are needed and what I should be looking at when fishing on the Ribble?

I will be appreciated any suggestion as never fished your area for river fishing! Only done the River Cossens some years ago for the pike.

A lot depends on where you go and the weather/temp/water conditions. The main fish are chub, barbel, roach, dace and maybe pike and even bream, depending........

Its probably true to say most coarse anglers use a tip rod to suit how and what they are fishing for and do well, but i wouldn't leave home with out a float rod.

Edited by lutra

Andrew, not much to add to what Lutra said there other than err on the heavy side with Barbel tackle. Think middle Severn at this time of year in terms of flow but I'd say the fish are a better average size.

Lutra/Tigger, you two know the river a lot better than me. Would you still stick with it if it's well up or is it still a good idea to have a still water as a backup?

Edited by Rob Ward

Can't say i have a great knowledge of the day ticket lengths and also depends how many are going. Ribchester isn't very big.

The Tickle Trout (tickets from the garage).

Shaws arms (tickets from Ted Carters).

Riverside farm off Cuerdale lane (tickets at farm).

Cheers Brian, will look into it.

Cheers Brian, will look into it.

Just going off my own experience I would say that if it is well up it may be worth having a backup in mind. The Ribble can be very difficult in very high or flood conditions and I would be concerned about whether there would be enough fishable pegs available.

I would recommend the shawes arm stretch in terms of its fishing but not in its aesthetics. Being right near the town centre it is not the most relaxing place to be and not the nicest to the eye. It is also important to remember that it is semi tidal there and the banks are pretty dodgy in parts and when the tide comes in you have to get up the banks sharpish sometimes.

Do you not think that wigan would maybe give permission for a fish in on the Elston stretch Rob? That stretch would offer some fantastic sport and it is nice and out of the way and looks very nice. Best thing about it is that if the level is favourable it offers trotting pegs as well as ledgering pegs and it has a large head of barbel, dace and chub not to mention grayling, trout and roach. Certainly worth an ask I reckon.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk