River Ribble Fish In

Rob Ward

I'm coming to the Ribble Fish In  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay £24 for a club card that gives you access to a prime stretch of water where the farmer allows camping

• Yes I'm up for that!
    • No I'd rather fish day ticket lengths!

I would recommend the shawes arm stretch in terms of its fishing but not in its aesthetics. Being right near the town centre it is not the most relaxing place to be and not the nicest to the eye. It is also important to remember that it is semi tidal there and the banks are pretty dodgy in parts and when the tide comes in you have to get up the banks sharpish sometimes.

Shawes Arms isn't a bad place to be once you're further up, and I think it'd be more reliable for a fish-in as long as water levels are within reason. The banjo-players only really come out in Summer and I've only ever had to have a word with a couple of dog walkers.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shawes Arms isn't a bad place to be once you're further up, and I think it'd be more reliable for a fish-in as long as water levels are within reason. The banjo-players only really come out in Summer and I've only ever had to have a word with a couple of dog walkers.

Yeah I guess but to me even parking the car is a nail biter down there. I have seen (literally seen a guy breaking into a car) and heard of many cars being broken into down there. It is quite a walk to the nicer spots too so may not be ideal for those who are not in their finest form any more. We can still consider it as an option of course.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Yeah I guess but to me even parking the car is a nail biter down there. I have seen (literally seen a guy breaking into a car) and heard of many cars being broken into down there. It is quite a walk to the nicer spots too so may not be ideal for those who are not in their finest form any more. We can still consider it as an option of course.

I think Riverside farm would get my vote. Its not a beauty spot, but its the opposite bank of the nicer spots you can walk to on the shaws arms. Its only really tidal on a big tide. Its private and safe for both anglers and their cars. Their is about 1km of bank to go at, but the best pegs are next to the car park. The banks aren't great, but the well used pegs aren't to deadly and it will fish OK in early march, it did last year. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I suggested the Anglers net fish ins and now i feel like 'Billy no mates'. i need a cuddle please :hug:

Dave we need to see whose definitely going from down here.Anderoo's not got back to me yet so I will check with him and Glyn.If Ive a spare seat jump in with us or if more want to go we could take more than the one car. Makes the fuel getting up there a bit more sensible.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Just going off my own experience I would say that if it is well up it may be worth having a backup in mind. The Ribble can be very difficult in very high or flood conditions and I would be concerned about whether there would be enough fishable pegs available.

I would recommend the shawes arm stretch in terms of its fishing but not in its aesthetics. Being right near the town centre it is not the most relaxing place to be and not the nicest to the eye. It is also important to remember that it is semi tidal there and the banks are pretty dodgy in parts and when the tide comes in you have to get up the banks sharpish sometimes.

Do you not think that wigan would maybe give permission for a fish in on the Elston stretch Rob? That stretch would offer some fantastic sport and it is nice and out of the way and looks very nice. Best thing about it is that if the level is favourable it offers trotting pegs as well as ledgering pegs and it has a large head of barbel, dace and chub not to mention grayling, trout and roach. Certainly worth an ask I reckon.

I was thinking that but it's shared water between Wigan and St Helens so that could be the sticking point.

If we could get Elston though the farmer does allow camping on the bank for a small charge although no fishing after 11:00.

What about Bonzai Nurseries? That's upstream of the M6 bridge so out of town and just downstream of Elston?

Edited by Rob Ward

Dave we need to see whose definitely going from down here.Anderoo's not got back to me yet so I will check with him and Glyn.If Ive a spare seat jump in with us or if more want to go we could take more than the one car. Makes the fuel getting up there a bit more sensible.

I was just kidding mate but thanks. The amount of money i have forked out for tackle i think it would cost too much. maybe the second one. Thanks anyway ;)

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

The amount of money i have forked out for tackle i think it would cost too much. maybe the second one. Thanks anyway ;)

You should go Hawk and so should anyone else from the southern territories who's thinking about it. During October 2010 I drove up to fish for grayling on the Eden with Ian (Tigger) and Ste, a 600 mile round trip! It was totally different to fishing the Kennet, the Eden is a huge river with a stony riverbed and little in the way of obvious features. If you picked the right route you could wade to the middle of it, that was scary in itself. I’ve read about Ian’s exploits on the forum and I’d love to go to the Ribble fish-in but I don’t think that existing commitments are going to allow me to get up there.

Me mid-Eden, not a place you want to hang about in if the heavens open;

IMG_4814.jpg

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back