LINES: Are we being conned? Part 1: DIAMETER

The Diamond Geezer

quote:

Originally posted by BUDGIE:

Diameter of main lines-

One (maybe two) reasons for taking diameter in to acount when choosing a mainline. The lower the diameter the further you can cast. Abrasion resistance is also affected by diameter really. I see no other reasons.

Budgie,

Yup, for the same polymer (e.g. Nylon 66 or Nylon 6/66 co-polymer) abrasion-resistance is broadly inversely proportional to the diameter i.e. the larger the diameter, the more "meat" there is i.e. the more polymer, the greater the resistance to abrasion. I've yet to see any convincing data to prove that special coatings increase abrasion-resistance .. another con, perhaps :confused:

Going back to diameter and choice ... no other reasons? ... how's about bait presentation, less easily visible or felt by fish, less spooking etc?

DG

[ 15. February 2004, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree line is important, however if you are feeder or ledger fishing with mainline of 10lb of whatever diameter, it is the HOOKLENGTH that is important, the hooklength must be as fine a line as you can get in whatever B/S you use. this is where expensive line comes in.

The reel line can be of any REASONABLE diameter as long as it is reliable.

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

quote:

Originally posted by kleinboet:

I agree line is important, however if you are feeder or ledger fishing with mainline of 10lb of whatever diameter, it is the HOOKLENGTH that is important,

kleinboet, if you care to read the previous posts in this thread a tad more carefully, you'll see that this point is covered in Poledark's (Den's) posting and my reply. Some anglers don't use hooklengths at all, but run their line right through to the hook and use a knotless knot to tie-on the hook. Any knot is another weaker point.

quote:

Originally posted by kleinboet:

it is the HOOKLENGTH that is important, the hooklength must be as fine a line as you can get in whatever B/S you use. this is where expensive line comes in.

Interesting comment, kleinboet ... so please tell me

(a)the connection between expensive fine (i.e. small diameter) line for hooklengths

and

(B).. good, high-tenancity hook-length lines

and

© and which brand(s) you use/recommend, and

(d) the data (e.g. on its/their tenacity) to substantiate these recommendations. :confused:

And finally then, re: your posting, and bearing in-mid my original questions about chosing lines based on claimed but maybe false diameters, what general "reliable reel line of any REASONABLE diameter" do you use with your expensive hooklength lines? Do you know, or even need to know or care, then, about what its actual wet-knot BS or its diamtere really is? ... just so long as its reliable // 'til one day it breaks, lets you down and leaves your hooklenth trailing .....

...and whether or not you/we are being ripped-off p/metre for our lines, main and/or hooklength ... what do you think???

DG

[ 15. February 2004, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

O.K. DG let me explain, I use Maxima brown 6lb B/S line for my main or reel line which has a stated diameter of .22mm. For my hook length I will use Trabbuco Diamond which, for the same B/S, has a stated diameter of 1.6mm and fluorocarbon which means that I have a finer, more 'invisible' line at the 'business end'.

The Maxima line costs me £11.25 for 600m and the trabucco line costs £6.99 for 50m.

Even allowing for inaccuracies in diameters, I am still using a finer hooklength than the mainline. As I have been using this combination successfuly for some time now, and found that the knot strength (usually the weakest link in any set up) to be very high. I feel that using a mainline that is inexpensive but 'bulky' and offsetting that with the finer line, I don't think I am being ripped off at all.

[ 15. February 2004, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: kleinboet ]

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Same as Kleinboet,DG,I dont think that mainline diameter really affects presentation etc as much as the hook length (within reason of course!)I will wait to discuss this when you start the relevant thread.I have allways used the stated BS's/Diameters of lines as a guide and relied on practical use of them to decide which brand/BS to use.This is why I have always thought that the given details aint so important.IMO the thing I want most from a product is consistancey.My "obsession" with manufacture/use by dates is reflective of this.Although I agree with what you are saying I seriously doubt if most anglers care that they are being mislead.After all look how long they have swallowed it for? You still hear guys going on about how strong 15lb Big Game is despite the fact that in reality it is 18lb!!!!!!!

Iwould have thought that a Weights and Measures inspector would have a feild day with a lot of fishing tackle,wouldnt you?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Dead right Budgie, I got fed up to keep hearing how good Maxima was!!!

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Den,Ive always thought Maxima was great!!! Just goes to show that a lot is down to personal preference.One of my biggest failings is that I am a bit stuck in my ways.I miss out on the benifits of a lot of new technology because I am loathe to change.I have always worked on the principle of if it aint broke dont fix it!Dont get me wrong though if I am not happy with something I will keep on trying untill I do find somthing.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!